• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool D - Argentina, France, Georgia, Ireland, Namibia

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I liked watching Spencer play, but never saw enough of Tony Brown. Was he similar to Mehrtens?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I liked watching Spencer play, but never saw enough of Tony Brown. Was he similar to Mehrtens?
Not really. A dour defender and a decent kicker and distributor, he lacked the attacking capabilities and goal kicking skill of Merhts but was a very good tackler.

cbuts

International Debutant
Mehrtens > Spencer
Mehrtens was never the starting first five of any succesfull All Black team

96-97 was spencer - BC champs, Tri Nations Champs
98,99,00,01, was Mehrtens - Never held the BC, won 2 Tri Nations.
02,03 was Spencer - Won the BC, Won all Tri Nations

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Mehrtens played in the 1996 Tri-Nations side, as well as the '95 side that won back the Bledisloe and the 1996 side that had the first ever series victory in South Africa.

cbuts

International Debutant
so won the bledisloe cup twice, out of how many attempts? was the key pivot in the All Blacks during Australia's greatest reign

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Mehrtens and Spencer both played first five when we lost the Bledisoe in '98. Mehrts wasn't in great form at that time and had a number of injury problems, but NZ had much bigger problems with retirements and Hart's ****ty coaching. I wouldn't pin it on Mehrts myself.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Also, Australia had a very strong side back then, with a very strong backline and forwards who knew what their jobs were.

Always have liked Mehrtens.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, me too. Unflashy so had a tendency to be underrated, but you rarely saw him have a bad game. At his best Carlos was the better player, but you never knew which Spencer was going to turn up.