• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool B - Australia, Canada, Fiji, Japan, Wales

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully the selectors realise his best position for the Wallabies is at fly half where he can have the most impact. And push Larkham to inside centre and maybe even fullback where he started his career.
No way, in all the positions they've tried Giteau in, Inside Centre has proven to be the position he can make the most impact from. Larkham is easily our best fly half, and if he's injured or whatever, Barnes has to be the next choice, as imo our lack of a quality inside centre after Giteau is far more glaringly obvious than our lack of a fly half after Larkham.

Perm

Hopefully the selectors realise his best position for the Wallabies is at fly half where he can have the most impact. And push Larkham to inside centre and maybe even fullback where he started his career.
Giteau isn't a flyhalf, he doesn't have enough room to operate.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Giteau is our best inside centre and halfback. Gregan has looked OK the last couple of weeks but thats against a very weak side. I would like to see at some point Mortlock at inside centre and Tiquiri outside.

Perm

played there the whole season for the Force didn't he?
I'm not 100% sure, but regardless of what he has done with the Force I don't feel he is good enough to play at flyhalf, even if Larkham wasn't fit. Everytime I have seen him play there he looks to be under far too much pressure and he can't handle it, especially when compared to playing at inside centre where he has more room to be creative.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I would like to see at some point Mortlock at inside centre and Tiquiri outside.
I wince a little at this, because together, they are a very unskilled centre combination. Same as a Staniforth/Ashley Cooper combo for saturday night.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the tactics, they would be a fairly big centre combo and Tiquiri is pretty quick. It would also put alot of pressure on Larkham's kicking.

Perm

I wince a little at this, because together, they are a very unskilled centre combination. Same as a Staniforth/Ashley Cooper combo for saturday night.
Yeah, Mortlock is the best outside centre and Giteau is the best inside centre. Leave Tuqiri on the wing.

Johnners

Leave Lote left right out, Gerrard, Mitchell & Ioane are all superior wingers imo

Perm

Leave Lote left right out, Gerrard, Mitchell & Ioane are all superior wingers imo
Mitchell is average and Ioane can be brilliant at times, but doesn't deserve selection. Gerrard is a definite starter.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Tuqiri has turned out to be quite the dick, but he was one of the best wingers in the world over the past few seasons and one of the few form players for the Wallabies. Dunno if he can rediscover that form, but every other winger in Australia is much of a muchness.

One of the challenges for the next Wallabies head coach will be to move away from Brumbies phase play, IMO. Won't happen in time for this World Cup with Gregan and Larkham still there, but it can't happen soon enough.

The Wallabies basically have to go with Gregan at halfback and Giteau at second five, with Larkham at first five and Mortlock at centre. They don't have much choice. The All Blacks, their likely semi-final opponent,.ate Giteau alive at first five. Not that Larkham scares them at first five any more, but that has more to do with Gregan's slow delivery and the Wallabies' poor work at the breakdown.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
wouldnt mater if you had the All Blacks back line. With the forward pack Aussie have got - they are going no where

ripper868

International Coach
Aussies to go through, wales close second (games in aus showed nothing...second string team) japan 3rd, fiji 4, canada 5.

Pray Lathams fit...we need fullback