• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby World Cup 2007 forum?

Do you want to see a seperate forum for the Rugby World Cup 2007?

• Total voters

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** it I say, I've already said I know little about rugby, so pin me to the mast for it..
I'm more than willing to admit that I know nothing of the rugby eligibility laws.

Just realised, what I said originally (quote 2) isn't quite the same as what I just said (quote 1).

To clarify, just in case you were going to pick me up on it, Quote 1 is closer to my knowledge of rugby than quote 2 (although quote 2 is 100% accurate on the level of my knowledge of rugby's eligibility laws)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If you won't even allow someone to backtrack on their original comments, what am I going to do? I've tried to backtrack gracefully, but you go back to my original post. Big whoop.
It's called debating on the internet. Get over it yourself. ;):

Now, I'm old enough not to get in a bad mood about such things, but is there much point of nailing a self-confessed not-rugby obsessed person to the mast?
When he's wheeling out the old inaccurate chestnuts usually peddled by Northern Hemisphere rugby scribes, then yes.

Feel free to ask more questions.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's called debating on the internet. Get over it yourself. ;):
But when you've already won the debate and the other party in the debate has backtracked, what's the point of going back to the original post which has been backtracked on??

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I thought Turb's post was the last, perhaps it was at the end of a page. I shall repost...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Turb's post was the last, perhaps it was at the end of a page. I shall repost...
Ah, makes more sense now.

WRT Canada, they used to be pretty decent (made the quarters in '91 & '95), but since the game went open they've been left behind a bit because the game over there is mainly amateur.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry for being dim, what do Rugby fans mean when they say the game has "gone open"? Seen it on a few rugger threads that I've been browsing. Don't mind rugby, but I don't know too much about it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for being dim, what do Rugby fans mean when they say the game has "gone open"? Seen it on a few rugger threads that I've been browsing. Don't mind rugby, but I don't know too much about it.
Professional and players from overseas can play in major competition overseas similar to Football. Back in the day you just played in your home country and options of moving to Japan, England and Europe were not there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just means "openly professional" really. Before the 1995 WC the game was (in theory at least) amateur, even at the highest level. There was, however, a lot of "shamateurism" where players got under-the-counter payments (usually in the form of "expenses"); so "open" just implies the whole sordid business of being paid to play the sport is out in the open now.

Before union went pro a lot of its players went over to league to make a living out of their talent. Now, due to the wider appeal & larger sums of money offered in union, a lot of league players make the opposite journey.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
yeah it would be a good idea im sure most people on here would go on it!!!!
and atleast i could talk about a sport im into for more than 4 months :laugh:

cbuts

International Debutant
Professional and players from overseas can play in major competition overseas similar to Football. Back in the day you just played in your home country and options of moving to Japan, England and Europe were not there.
Then by that definition, the game isnt fully professinal, because the int players are severly restricted from the Super 14

BoyBrumby

Englishman
nope dont need it imo, 2003 was a bit different, being in Aus there was a lot more discussion from casual fans like me who even went to a few matches, this time i dont think its needed all that much.
Now ahead of the 20/20 WC sub-forum in terms of posts. :cool:

/smug union-fan mode.