Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Rugby World Cup 2015 Final

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash

The Rugby World Cup 2015 Final

Australia vs New Zealand.

Discuss...
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Too tight to call.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Too tight to call.
    I have this as 50/50 as well

For me it is McCaw vs Pocock. Whoever wins, wins.

As I have also mentioned a number of times in these threads over the years, part of the game in being manipulative with the referee before the game starts.

"Will you be policing incidents such as <insert something that David Pocock does>"

For reasons unknown to me rugby sees fit to grant the head coaches a 15 minute audience with the referee before the start of the match.

Good luck to both teams. Should be epic.

International Vice-Captain dermo's Avatar
    backing australia on 2015 world cup form
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

Nah, New Zealand better and more experienced across the park. Australia could win, but I'd have it 70-30 in NZ's favour.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I am such an anxious viewer of sports when a team I want to win is involved. I much prefer watching high quality games where I am apathetic about who wins. The last RWC final, I probably spent more time faffing about in the kitchen pretending to be busy rather than watching the game. It is incredibly tempting to sleep through the final and watch the replay and avoid the increased blood pressure which will result from an inevitably tight game. Might place a bet or two on a low margin result. Rarely are these matches anything other than incredibly pressured and cagey affairs - I'm sure our domestic TAB will be backing black with a higher margin than I would expect - should be value in the low margins I'd think.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

I got an inferred telling off for Ghambiring on the silver fern web site for saying that Australia has a 50% chance of winning. The hard core fans on that site are saying NZ will walk this.
    I just don't see it. I honestly thought we would walk the semi final by 15 points. Instead we nearly lost. Australia are a fine team. I stand by my call that it is anyone's match. Part of that prediction is that they beat us earlier this year when at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I have this as 50/50 as well

For me it is McCaw vs Pocock. Whoever wins, wins.

As I have also mentioned a number of times in these threads over the years, part of the game in being manipulative with the referee before the game starts.

"Will you be policing incidents such as <insert something that David Pocock does>"

For reasons unknown to me rugby sees fit to grant the head coaches a 15 minute audience with the referee before the start of the match.

Good luck to both teams. Should be epic.
    Too simplistic IMO as Pocock 2015 beats McCaw 2015 one-on-one 9/10 so give up if that is the game-plan

Furthermore, when ABs dominated him in 2011, it was 3 vs 1 - now he has Hooper and Fardy to lend a hand at the breakdown

ABs need to break square (or at least not get dominated) at breakdown, hammer Oz in the lineout (Pocock at 8 is not an option for us in that area and his only real weakness) and wear us down with greater quality/depth

ABs should win but its a one-off match and I don't thing we really fear you guys any more

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Just hope the game is like the first semi and we have a cracker.

I got an inferred telling off for Ghambiring on the silver fern web site for saying that Australia has a 50% chance of winning. The hard core fans on that site are saying NZ will walk this.
    I just don't see it. I honestly thought we would walk the semi final by 15 points. Instead we nearly lost. Australia are a fine team. I stand by my call that it is anyone's match. Part of that prediction is that they beat us earlier this year when at full strength.
    Lots of trolls and/or deluded numpties on rugby forums

ABs have the ability to put 50+ on anyone but some would have you believe that it is a given

ABs will and should be favourites but it is a close call

IMO, Oz are running out of steam but adrenaline is a funny thing

Hurricane you might find this interesting:

In the past couple of seasons for the ABs, the runners in the forwards line up next to the ruck and do lots of short passes to each other. It's a nice show of skill that makes it easier to break the advantage line, as it opens short little channels in the defence. Particularly when playing a very big and strong defensive side like South Africa, those little half-holes in the defense can be the difference between forward momentum and going backwards.

However, in the test against the Wallabies in Sydney that we lost, this tactic backfired as the sacrifice is that your forwards are slower to clean out the ruck as they're all effective runners rather than being behind a runner to clean out. Pocock had a field day when forwards weren't there to clean him out immediately. The next Test at Eden Park the tactic completely disappeared.

As Argentina showed, it shouldn't be that difficult to break the advantage line against this Australian team - they're very good defensively, yes, but they're simply not as big as the Saffers so if you run a Nonu or a Kaino or a Savea into most of their players they'll take a couple of metres past the ruck. Those short little passes aren't necessary, and in fact it's better to just concentrate on securing the ball.
    Last edited by hendrix; 26-10-2015 at 03:46 AM.
    Hurricane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Too simplistic IMO as Pocock 2015 beats McCaw 2015 one-on-one 9/10 so give up if that is the game-plan

Furthermore, when ABs dominated him in 2011, it was 3 vs 1 - now he has Hooper and Fardy to lend a hand at the breakdown

ABs need to break square (or at least not get dominated) at breakdown, hammer Oz in the lineout (Pocock at 8 is not an option for us in that area and his only real weakness) and wear us down with greater quality/depth

ABs should win but its a one-off match and I don't thing we really fear you guys any more
    The plan is to rival Australia at the breakdown at least that is my plan for victory. Ritchie 2015 isn't capable of matching pocock or wait maybe he is for a one off match if he digs deep enough. This is his last match ever. Don't write off the GOAT

The breakdown is too important an area for us to concede it and try to win the match elsewhere. There are simply so many breakdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Just hope the game is like the first semi and we have a cracker.
    Lolwat? While close on the scoreboard, the first semi was a turgid bore. I'd much rather watch a repeat of the second semi even if it means it's a bit one-sided.

Aussies didn't finish off Wales or Scotland or Argentina. NZ will also have belief those sides maybe didn't. NZ win without something epic from the Wallabies.

The plan is to rival Australia at the breakdown at least that is my plan for victory. Ritchie 2015 isn't capable of matching pocock or wait maybe he is for a one off match if he digs deep enough. This is his last match ever. Don't write off the GOAT

The breakdown is too important an area for us to concede it and try to win the match elsewhere. There are simply so many breakdowns.

Agree with that 100%

In 2011, ABs countered him by making him do a lot of first up tackling thereby restricting his ability to pilfer/slow play down at the ensuing breakdown

However, emergence of Fardy and, to a lesser extent, Hooper (not great on the ground but excellent in defence) has made this strategy more difficult to execute

Anyway, despite all the hype around Pocock, the interesting thing is that the ABs as a team create far more turnovers than anybody else and a couple of Pocock steals will pale into insignificance if the Wallabies struggle in the lineouts, at the scrum, etc

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information