Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Rugby World Cup 2015 Final

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Hurricane you might find this interesting:

In the past couple of seasons for the ABs, the runners in the forwards line up next to the ruck and do lots of short passes to each other. It's a nice show of skill that makes it easier to break the advantage line, as it opens short little channels in the defence. Particularly when playing a very big and strong defensive side like South Africa, those little half-holes in the defense can be the difference between forward momentum and going backwards.

However, in the test against the Wallabies in Sydney that we lost, this tactic backfired as the sacrifice is that your forwards are slower to clean out the ruck as they're all effective runners rather than being behind a runner to clean out. Pocock had a field day when forwards weren't there to clean him out immediately. The next Test at Eden Park the tactic completely disappeared.

As Argentina showed, it shouldn't be that difficult to break the advantage line against this Australian team - they're very good defensively, yes, but they're simply not as big as the Saffers so if you run a Nonu or a Kaino or a Savea into most of their players they'll take a couple of metres past the ruck. Those short little passes aren't necessary, and in fact it's better to just concentrate on securing the ball.
    Love this. Post of the day.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Anyway, despite all the hype around Pocock, the interesting thing is that the ABs as a team create far more turnovers than anybody else and a couple of Pocock steals will pale into insignificance if the Wallabies struggle in the lineouts, at the scrum, etc
    How many is he getting per game though. If you can get one you have done well. He must be getting 4 or 5 per game.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Australia by 20
    Parmi

Let's get some hype going boyz. Where is the cross tasman banter? Where is the jokes about sheep shaggers? I want my money's worth out of the next 5 days.

In NEWZ -

While all the talk surrounded Folau's injury-hampered performance against Argentina, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika was making positive noises about his fitness, insisting the fullback's 60-minute performance against Argentina was all part of the plan.
    Cheika was also bullish about David Pocock's chances of starting against the All Blacks, after one third of Australia's celebrated back row combination - nicknamed 'The Foocock' after members Pocock, Michael Hooper and Scott Fardy - made it through 80 minutes on Sunday.
    Matt Giteau, an early concern after coming off with a groin injury, appears to be fine, with Cheika confirming the veteran centre had pulled up okay on Monday morning.
    And front rower Scott Sio, sorely missed at set piece, also looks likely to make a return in time to play in the final.
    "We had to see if he got the movement back in his elbow, he just had a lot of blood in there," Cheika said.
    "There's no ligament damage or anything. He needs it for binding and scrummaging, so it's subsiding pretty quickly now so we're feeling pretty good about his chances of playing."
    The only thing I have learned from tipping contests about rugby matches is to read the injury reports. Who actually plays the game makes a massive difference. Australia sound like they will be at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    How many is he getting per game though. If you can get one you have done well. He must be getting 4 or 5 per game.
    Don't know the exact figure but I know the he is averaging 2 turnovers per match in his own team's 22 - pretty handy

BTW, ABs are winning nearly 25% of opposition lineout throws this tourney and I can see that being a real problem for us

Let's get some hype going boyz. Where is the cross tasman banter? Where is the jokes about sheep shaggers? I want my money's worth out of the next 5 days.

In NEWZ -

The only thing I have learned from tipping contests about rugby matches is to read the injury reports. Who actually plays the game makes a massive difference. Australia sound like they will be at full strength.
    Doubt that they are all fully fit

As for sheep shagging jokes, an old one

Q. Why do Kiwis name their best looking sheep Artie?

A. Ka Mate, Ka Mate ...... (with appropriate hip thrusts of course)
    Hurricane likes this.

Doubt that they are all fully fit

As for sheep shagging jokes, an old one

Q. Why do Kiwis name their best looking sheep Artie?

A. Ka Mate, Ka Mate ...... (with appropriate hip thrusts of course)
    Yuss! Like it.

Another oldie

Lots of similarities between Aussies and our Kiwi brethren but one big difference is in the way that we name places with the former tending to be more literal

For example, "Sydney Harbour" derives its name from its location and the fact that it is a harbour

By way of contrast, if "Rotorua" was in Australia, it would be called "Stinking ****hole.where lots of ugly chicks and dumb blokes live"

Finally and assuming we win

Give me an example of "empty"

The Kiwi trophy cabinet

Another oldie

Lots of similarities between Aussies and our Kiwi brethren but one big difference is in the way that we name places with the former tending to be more literal

For example, "Sydney Harbour" derives its name from its location and the fact that it is a harbour

By way of contrast, if "Rotorua" was in Australia, it would be called "Stinking ****hole.where lots of ugly chicks and dumb blokes live"

Finally and assuming we win

Give me an example of "empty"

The Kiwi trophy cabinet
    Nice

Best one an Aussie sent me once went something like this.

Mum is a bit of an alcoholic these days.

Dad passed away doing what he liked best at the brothel.

My brother bill is in and out of jail

Merris the oldest is a heroin addict

And then there's Sandy. But we don't talk to her because she's married to a New Zealander.
    social likes this.

Rugby World Cup 2015 final: Australia refuse to say 'All Blacks'

Rugby World Cup 2015 final: Australia refuse to say 'All Blacks' - Sport - NZ Herald News

Nice

Best one an Aussie sent me once went something like this.

Mum is a bit of an alcoholic these days.

Dad passed away doing what he liked best at the brothel.

My brother bill is in and out of jail

Merris the oldest is a heroin addict

And then there's Sandy. But we don't talk to her because she's married to a New Zealander.
    Ha ha

We have the same jokes with the 2 heads from the Apple Isle

Hard to get too upset with the Kiwis as you guys are the best at rugby, have a beautiful country and make up most of my son's buddies (his touch footy team is literally bro, bro, bro, bro and TJ)

Just hoping for a good match really as I'm surprised that we've made it this far
    Last edited by social; 28-10-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Wallabie win by 50.

I just hope both teams play like they have all tournament. Let's see some tries in a final for a change!

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Wallabie win by 50.

I just hope both teams play like they have all tournament. Let's see some tries in a final for a change!

Something like this would be nice, although the blokes at Twickers wouldn't like all the running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoO_5MvZ0w

What a game that was. I was 14 years old and in the crowd with our rugby club group of about 60. Great night. So weird watching footage of those times, the running lines and ruck structures etc have changed so much!

I think its going to be a lot closer than many expect. The last time NZ faced the Pooper they were blown off the park in Sydney. It was smart from Cheika only running it the once, and changing the team entirely for the return leg in Eden Park. I am quietly confident we can win this, it all hinges on the kicking boots of Foley and Carter, and one or three big 'moments'.

Also backing Aaron Smith to be yellow carded or at least penalised for chatting to much at Owens.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post

Also backing Aaron Smith to be yellow carded or at least penalised for chatting to much at Owens.
    Then let this be the first piece of trans tasman banter in the thread...we may have Aaron Smith (and Conrad for that matter)...you have a couple of talkers as well. Steven Moore is still growing in his role of how to influence a ref and can be a bit OTT at times at the moment. Fardy also enjoys a bit of a whine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information