Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Semi Finals

how on earth was that a yellow? Accidentally hit the ball when retiring, the first time the Boks in ABs territory for most of the half. Strange call.

Kaino having a superb game otherwise.

big momentum shift now
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    big momentum shift now
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Tough game.
    IMO that was an artificially close game. Did the Springboks even spend a single minute inside the ABs 22 in the whole game? They got a few long range penalties but never looked like scoring a try.

The ABs dominated every aspect of play.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Well I suppose the commentators got it right, Matfield made an impact when he came on

Desperately wanted South Africa to win, but that was purely for financial reasons, without doubt, couldn't root for them otherwise. They were admirable today, but they never got close to the tryline and you suspect even if they added another 20 minutes nothing would have changed. NZ if they hadn't been so sloppy with giving up so many penalties in the first half would have won this easier otherwise.
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    IMO that was an artificially close game. Did the Springboks even spend a single minute inside the ABs 22 in the whole game? They got a few long range penalties but never looked like scoring a try.

The ABs dominated every aspect of play.
    Except for the breakdown and the scrum, which is why NZ got smashed in the penalties count.

Anyway, well done NZ, definitely deserved the win, and can't see anyone stopping them now.
    BeeGee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

One day I'm a take rugby serious outside of world cups, since W-Cup 2003 - I just watch simply to admire NZ, clearly one the great sporting sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Except for the breakdown and the scrum, which is why NZ got smashed in the penalties count.

Anyway, well done NZ, definitely deserved the win, and can't see anyone stopping them now.
    They didn't get smashed in the breakdown. There were a few turnovers, sure, but that's inevitable when you have 70% possession. The penalties were mostly random.

They didn't get smashed in the breakdown. There were a few turnovers, sure, but that's inevitable when you have 70% possession. The penalties were mostly random.
    I didn't say they did, but NZ hardly dominated either, and SA definitely had the better of it in the first half.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    yeah the boks forward pack was excellent. Absolutely no offensive threat though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I didn't say they did, but NZ hardly dominated either, and SA definitely had the better of it in the first half.
    They're a big team. They'll win some rucks.they did absolutely nothing else except defend pretty well, and even then they conceded 2 tries.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Kaino deserved that yellow despite Marshall's defence of him. Make more of an effort not to impede play from an flagrantly off side position. If a saffer did that I absolutely would have wanted yellow.
    In the end it was the best thing that could have happened to us as we started playing more disciplined rugby when we had 14 men.

Nerve racking game. Hendrix and myself nearly had to eat humble pie despite H's comments that the ABs were the better team.

I actually think the saffers defended that darn well that they deserved to be in the running for the game. They also understood the rules of the game better than we did. Kieran Read in particular was bewildered when he was pinged multiple times for illegal defence against a rolling maul.

We need to be smarter.

Still our composure was incredible and years' of planning game scenarios for a match like this paid off:

e.g, - the drop kick
    e.g, - the tactical grubber kicks when all else was failing to breach the defensive line.

We thought on our feet in the game and came up trumps. We lost 20-18 in 2007, this time we won by the same scoreline.

I didn't chew nails but did have a tense stomach throughout as that match could have gone either way.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

International Regular ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    not really, considering they've lost to Japan, Argentina, the Wallabies...frankly just about everyone within the last couple of years. SA just aren't that good at the moment. Could still beat us of course, but I think they would have lost against a lot of other teams this world cup. Their lineout is their only real strength right now. If the ABs win their own ball in lineouts and scrums I can't see SA doing anything.
    What a call

International Regular ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Considering how we dominated both possession and territory its a testament to the strength of the South African defense that we resorted to kicking as often as we did, much to the dismay of the crowd i was with. The boo's whenever Ben Smith kicked followed by the cheers when he recovered it would have made Rattue proud.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Considering how we dominated both possession and territory its a testament to the strength of the South African defense that we resorted to kicking as often as we did, much to the dismay of the crowd i was with. The boo's whenever Ben Smith kicked followed by the cheers when he recovered it would have made Rattue proud.
    Yeah I had the same. Kicking doesn't always work but surely it's better than ramming into their defence over and over.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information