Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best Fullback at the tournament

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Was thinking about this earlier - I think the reason why so many teams have their best players at fullback is because backs eventually 'graduate' there.

The lighter wingers who score club level tries by burning the domestix for pace aren't what international coaches look for because in a Test backline everyone has to be able to kick and defend. So they pick 15s to shore up the defence.

Then when they've been in tests for a bit and get their positioning right they end up being the top back three player, so they're the fullback. Folau, Brown, Halfpenny and Smith all started as wings. It's happening to Zebo now too.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Was thinking about this earlier - I think the reason why so many teams have their best players at fullback is because backs eventually 'graduate' there.

The lighter wingers who score club level tries by burning the domestix for pace aren't what international coaches look for because in a Test backline everyone has to be able to kick and defend. So they pick 15s to shore up the defence.

Then when they've been in tests for a bit and get their positioning right they end up being the top back three player, so they're the fullback. Folau, Brown, Halfpenny and Smith all started as wings. It's happening to Zebo now too.
    Don't agree with this.

Ben Smith was always a fullback. He was chucked on the wing because the ABs coaches have always liked having Dagg at fullback - even when Dagg's not playing well he has a massive punt on him which is a great thing to have, particularly when we were playing Cruden who doesn't have such a big boot. But it was getting harder and harder to justify with Smith consistently tearing up attacks with Otago from fullback, and Dagg not doing anything of note.

Julian Savea is a superb wing but you're never going to put him at fullback. Nonu is one of the best backs in the world but he'll only ever play at 12 or 13.

I also think there's plenty of room for the lighter wingers. Nehe Milner-Scudder an obvious example, but also Cory Jane. I think Hansen has been instrumental in picking players based on whether they're good enough, not whether they tick the boxes of size or other unnecessary criteria.

International Coach
    Nonu is nowhere near one of the best backs in the world. One trick pony.

Brown ironically outplayed Folau largely tonight

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    errr he hasn't been a one-dimensional player for a good 10 years mate. Actually one of the best passing 12s now which is amazing since he was basically incapable of passing in his first few years.

He's the best 12 in the world by a considerable margin. His absence hurts the ABs significantly.

Brown is possibly the most overrated player at the moment.
    This mite seem bias but I still think overall smith is the best.Falou is proberly the most effective on attack IMO

Hard to judge Brown. He's had a poor tournament but also limited opportunities. Has had some shocking handling errors but I try to avoid making early calls based on those types of things.

Goromaru has legitimately been the best 15 so far.
    RossTaylorsBox likes this.

International Debutant

Brown ironically outplayed Folau largely tonight
    How is he a one trick pony? He passes of both hands (short and miss passes), runs fantastic lines, defends well, steps off both feet and has a superb grubber kick. He has probably surpassed Tim Horan as the best no12 of all time. Nonu is now the 2nd best midfielder I've ever seen (behind Phillipe Sella).

He's awesome but he has a tendency not to drift properly on defense. The one hole in his game.

Umaga was better.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Hard to judge Brown. He's had a poor tournament but also limited opportunities. Has had some shocking handling errors but I try to avoid making early calls based on those types of things.
    Sums it up that people think Brown had a poor tournament yet he was by no means the worst England player on display. Shows how bad the rest were.

As for the best, no idea, don't watch enough rugby to make a fair call on that but it isn't Brown.

International Coach
    Brown hasn't had a poor tournament, afraid you don't watch much rugby if you think that is the case. Nonu all flash and little substance plus brainless penalties at worst possible time.

Brown was man of the match first game, did well against Wales and outplayed Folau by a distance last night. Shame pack didn't perform like him.

Brown hasn't had a poor tournament, afraid you don't watch much rugby if you think that is the case. Nonu all flash and little substance plus brainless penalties at worst possible time.

Brown was man of the match first game, did well against Wales and outplayed Folau by a distance last night. Shame pack didn't perform like him.
    Is that how nonu is still perceived, wow looks like you don't watch much rugby

Brown's been undeniably poor in the 2 full matches I watched of him, and I'm afraid if you still think that about Nonu you're the one that hasn't actually watched him play.

Yeah there is no way Brown outplayed Folau "by a distance" last night, even if Folau wasn't at his best.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

International Coach
    Bloke with the most clean breaks and 3rd most meters made in tournament has been 'undeniably bad'. Ok then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information