4 October 2015 Ireland v Italy Olympic Stadium, London
    6 October 2015 Canada v Romania Leicester City Stadium, Leicester
    11 October 2015 Italy v Romania Sandy Park, Exeter
    11 October 2015 France v Ireland Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Go Canada
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Going to see Canada vs Fiji in a warm-up match tomorrow at the Stoop, looking forward to it.

Otherwise, Group D is garbage - the only possible slip-up game would be France-Italy, trotting out the usual trope of 'which France turns up'. Two qualifiers nailed on. Now as for the order...

Rugby Canada is still dining out on 1991. They havn't realised though that Gareth Rees is a once in a life time player and was arguably the best 1st 5 in the world at the time.

My dream is for Rugby Canada and USA Rugby to combine. Might be able to then given the likes of Samoa a good game and be worthwhile for a top 8 team to tour them once per year.

Rugby has very real grass roots support in North America. Cricket has no chance of being adopted there and is played by the sons of commonwealth immigrants or the immigrants themselves.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    If you look at the Pacific Nations Cup this year you would see Canada and USA made great accounts of themselves and have come a long way, especially now with the introduction of 7's to the Olympics. Just to back up that Canada and USA deserve to stand on their own feet, their results in the 2015 PNC were thus:
    USA:
    15-13 win v Canada
    19-33 loss v Tonga
    23-18 win v Japan
    16-21 loss to Samoa

Canada:
    13-15 Loss to USA
    20-21 loss to Samoa
    18-28 loss to Tonga
    6-20 loss to Japan

Certainly not whipping boys that would see a need for merging, and I'd suggest they are already giving the likes of Samoa a 'good game'.
    Parmi

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    If you look at the Pacific Nations Cup this year you would see Canada and USA made great accounts of themselves and have come a long way, especially now with the introduction of 7's to the Olympics. Just to back up that Canada and USA deserve to stand on their own feet, their results in the 2015 PNC were thus:
    USA:
    15-13 win v Canada
    19-33 loss v Tonga
    23-18 win v Japan
    16-21 loss to Samoa

Canada:
    13-15 Loss to USA
    20-21 loss to Samoa
    18-28 loss to Tonga
    6-20 loss to Japan

Certainly not whipping boys that would see a need for merging, and I'd suggest they are already giving the likes of Samoa a 'good game'.
    They would be as good as Scotland if they merged. Which would get them a lot more tours and corporate sponsorship.

Logistically a nightmare though. And they'll be as good as Scotland in their own right eventually. Japan for example have gone from being the 145-0 drubbing team to a well respected team that many think could knock over Scotland in their pool match - things take time, let the countries be themselves. Sure, have a one off "North America" team for a tour, similar to the British & Irish Lions, but on't make that the norm.

A merger halves the international opportunities, and devalues both brands. Canada and USA are two very different markets as well, Canada with the politeness, USA with the Guns Guns Guns.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, though I'd love to hear how logistically you would merge the 2 countries - where would the admin base be? where would training base be? Hard enough in itself given the geography of both countries.
    Howe_zat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Logistically a nightmare though. And they'll be as good as Scotland in their own right eventually. Japan for example have gone from being the 145-0 drubbing team to a well respected team that many think could knock over Scotland in their pool match - things take time, let the countries be themselves. Sure, have a one off "North America" team for a tour, similar to the British & Irish Lions, but on't make that the norm.

A merger halves the international opportunities, and devalues both brands. Canada and USA are two very different markets as well, Canada with the politeness, USA with the Guns Guns Guns.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, though I'd love to hear how logistically you would merge the 2 countries - where would the admin base be? where would training base be? Hard enough in itself given the geography of both countries.
    I am very passionate about this topic and it is one of my hobby horses.

Rugby has huge potential in North America. I turned up at UBC in Vancouver to watch the churchill cup along with 5 thousand Canadian Fans. They were all rugby people watching. Real rugby people. They knew when to cheer and the comments being made around me were just as sage as you or I talking and in some cases better. The major difference was they all had Canadian accents. Real Canadians were watching. This sport is played at the grass roots level there.

When I went to school in Chicago I played on the MBA rugby team. We played games against country sides throughout Illinois in tiny towns. These USA farmers were playing rugby.
    Rugby has a real chance in North America.

The West Indies have joined forces for Cricket despite the fact Jamaica in particular could put out a strong team by itself.

There are two sides to North America. All the good rugby is played on the West Coast, because it only freezes over for 3 weeks a year. The other states/provinces lose many months of down time. If you are any good at rugby you move out west to play it.

Rugby on Vancouver Island rivals ice hockey for popularity. Big sport.

As I sat there watching the Canada vs USA Churchill cup semi final to see who would play England in the final, I kept noticing that Canada were better all over the field that the USA - except the USA had two to three guys who were keeping them in it.

And that is when I realised that a Canada team plus those 2-3 USA team members would be superior to anything Canada could put out by itself.

Where would it be headquartered? Split offices. There would still be a Rugby Canada and a USA rugby responsible for developing grass roots rugby - but just one international team.

If rugby gets big in the United States then big things will happen for our sport.

Here is my cute story to finish with. During rugby training there is usually a pep talk at the start of the session. One session started with "today chaps we are going to practice scoring tries". "You must remember to touch the ball down in the in goal area". So we played a game of touch rugby whenever anyone went in to score, 10 guys would yell at you to touch the ball down.
    "Touch it down".

Our wing was an ex american football player and absolutely had wheels.
    Prince EWS likes this.

I understand the passion mate, and respect that, I just think that both the USA and Canada have now reached a level where a merger would not be neccessary, the last few years the USA have had the wood on Canada as well, if anything Canada has gone slightly backwards while the USA has made great leaps forward. Rugby will be huge in the USA one day, never to an American football scale but with both Canada and the US qualifying for the World Cup off their own backs, I just don't see a need to merge them. Canada is Canada, USA is USA. The West Indies example doesn't really wash for me, a collection of tiny island nations pooling resources makes sense, two large countries with strong population levels/infrastructure does.

That said, I wouldn't want Tonga, Samoa and Fiji to merge, each brings something special to world cup.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Aren't the USA 7s team becoming quite a reasonable side with an eye to the Olympics? Don't see the point in stopping that growth now.
    ripper868 likes this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Yeah, they won the London leg, knocking off (I think) Fiji, NZ and Australia in the process.

State Captain
    That is silly to merge. The USA actually pushed Australia recently and they are decent at 7s now. Both countries (USA esp) are also extremely patriotic

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    That is silly to merge. The USA actually pushed Australia recently and they are decent at 7s now. Both countries (USA esp) are also extremely patriotic
    DWTA.

The future of rugby is stake here. Give North America a competitive team and only good things will happen.

There is a massive difference between the top 8-9 countries in the world and the next 3-4 teams. USA and Canada are going to be in those next 3-4 teams for the next 20 years unless they combine forces.

Together they can beat Scotland. Apart they would each lose by 10 points.

Think Corporate sponsorship deals and money being poured into grass roots rugby.

This has been a dream of mine for 15 years.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Wtf Hurricane.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Wtf Hurricane.
    This is my hobby horse. Will not yield ground on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information