Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pool D - France, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Romania

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Canada putting in a performance right now v Italy. 20-18 with 4 mins remaining. They dont need the Americans.
    Parmi

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Canada putting in a performance right now v Italy. 20-18 with 4 mins remaining. They dont need the Americans.
    Really? Seriously you want to stir that hornets nest.

They would have won with a combined USA / Canada team instead of losing. No question.

Canada are worse than 1991. Now that is somewhat of an unfair statement as they had a once in a lifetime first five eighth playing for them. But my point is that they are not progressing into being a top tier team in the last 24 years. Even though they beat Wales 24 years ago. So your statement about just give these teams twenty years and let them improve isn't necessarily correct. Because Canada have gone backwards.

I also think last nights game proved my point perfectly in other ways.

7-8 of the Canadian team were international rugby standard and 5-6 of them had no business being on that paddock.

The Canadian First five - Hiroyama is probably the worst first five in the tournament. He certainly would not get a game in our NPC competition let alone a Super XV team. Muffed kicks that missed the posts by 30 metres. Completely losing the handle on passes that dribbled out of his hands. Knock ons, Handling errors. And he is weedy so couldn't take it into contact effectively. Whoever the USA have at 1st 5 would be a significant upgrade.

Then we had stellar performances by our left wing and centre, those two would look at home playing for Scotland or a much better side.

Canada's half back was also top drawer and impressed me so much.

It is frustrating as a fan to cheer for a team where only half the team is up to snuff hence I came up with this idea many years ago while watching a Canada vs USA rugby match live at thunderbird stadium in Vancouver. Half of the Canadian team were very good and 4-5 of the US guys that day were as tough as teek.

Let's agree to disagree about this idea Ripper I appreciate your point that it would infringe on the patriotism of both teams and that neither would ever agree to it. But this is the Internet where you get pontificate any theory you want and that is my view for what it is worth. I am not heavily invested in Canadian rugby but I do cheer for them and sincerely have their best interests at heart.

I had some drunken conversation while playing for a Canadian club side and was telling an old timer that the Canadian national team needed a New Zealand coach. He wouldn't have a bar of it and he was right. Like I said on cricsim Canadian rugby is Canadian rugby. Once you have seen them play a game then you know they have a distinct style. A New Zealand coach would ruin that. Canadians randomly run it from anywhere and pull of miraculous tries (just like one of theirs today). I know I am not going to get my way about them joining up with the USA so long may they continue to play Canadian rugby - that try they scored from long distance today warmed my heart. A New Zealand side would not have scored that try.
    Each team in this world cup plays the game differently and has its own style.

As the Canadian Prime Minister once said, or actually said many times on the election campaign...Vive la Canada.
    It doesn't translate properly into English within any of the meaning it has in French - but I know you know what it means.

I hope Canada continues to prosper and you will have to cut me some slack if this middle aged gentlemen wants to see Canada break on to the big stage.

Canada rugby is played by real Canadians. No ex pats (except for me) were on the club side I played for.

Canadian cricket is also played a lot differently than New Zealanders play cricket. And they should never change in that department either.

Canada is a proud country and they did themselves proud today. They nearly beat a six nations team.

They will regret not going for the try after 70 minutes...but such is life.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 27-09-2015 at 02:26 AM.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Happy to agree to disagree mate, as previously stated I admire you're passion on the subject, but just can't see any logic in it
    Hurricane likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Yeah sporting success isn't a linear sum, you can't just add a halfway decent team and another halfway decent team and get a decent team. There's loads of other factors at play and you lose a lot of that nationalistic pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Ireland not exactly convincing vs Italy there. Italy let down by their lineout and a poor bit of finishing by the guy running for the corner. As expected then, will be Ireland vs France to decide who tops the group.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Yeah sporting success isn't a linear sum, you can't just add a halfway decent team and another halfway decent team and get a decent team. There's loads of other factors at play and you lose a lot of that nationalistic pride.
    No but Adam Voges + Michael Clarke > Nathan Lyon. Linear sums work!
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No but Adam Voges + Michael Clarke > Nathan Lyon. Linear sums work!
    we'll find out once the eggheads figure out a way to make babies with two biological fathers

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    That was awesome from Ireland, shame about the injuries though, some huge losses. Sean O Brien was immense, but will need a miracle to escape a ban.

NZ going to need a serious off day to lose to this French side.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    I've heard this line somewhere before, maybe twice.
    hendrix and wellAlbidarned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    That was awesome from Ireland, shame about the injuries though, some huge losses. Sean O Brien was immense, but will need a miracle to escape a ban.

I don't think we are going to start ghambiring about France's chances. However everyone I know rates France. It is true that prior to 2011 and 2007 they had done better in the 6 Nations so theoretically they should be easy beats. But they have two things going for them other teams don't.

1) Scrummaging. Reputedly or arguably if you prefer the best scrum in the tournament. Scrum penalties mean points on the board.

2) They know if their hearts they can beat us. To become a great French player you must beat the All Blacks. It is part of their blood to believe that. They will turn up and they will play better against us than they would against anyone else in this quarterfinal. People wrote them off before the 2011 final.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I feel like this France team have almost nothing in common with the NZ bogie teams of yore. NZ are even better now too. The gulf in quality this time is surely too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I feel like this France team have almost nothing in common with the NZ bogie teams of yore. NZ are even better now too. The gulf in quality this time is surely too big.
    There are split opinions amongst fans on the Interwebs

50% have your opinion
    50% have my opinion

Who knows who is right. All of us think that the All Blacks should win. Some of us just think it could turn into a nail biter.

Some conjecture in one interesting post I read that France are increasingly cbf'd about the 6N. I don't know if that is true but if it is then their form coming into the tournament could be misleading.

Anyway when you have been crushed by them in 1999 and 2007 you don't forget easily. But yes there isn't much wrong with your post even if I have a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    that's not true at all.

France were absolutely garbage in the first half of the last world cup. NZ is not better now - 2011 Kaino and Read were much better than they are now, Corey Jane and Dagg were on top of their game, Conrad Smith was better, Keven Mealamu and Brad Thorn guaranteed breaking the advantage line every time.

Our halfback is probably the only position that is truly better. Maybe in the locks.
    Hurricane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    that's not true at all.

France were absolutely garbage in the first half of the last world cup. NZ is not better now - 2011 Kaino and Read were much better than they are now, Corey Jane and Dagg were on top of their game, Conrad Smith was better, Keven Mealamu and Brad Thorn guaranteed breaking the advantage line every time.

Our halfback is probably the only position that is truly better. Maybe in the locks.
    Haha yeah but you won in 2011. I was talking about compared to the '99 and '07 teams. I won't pretend to know enough about either side to compare with today's on a player-by-player basis but the ABs win percentage has gone absolutely through the roof since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    There are split opinions amongst fans on the Interwebs

50% have your opinion
    50% have my opinion

Who knows who is right. All of us think that the All Blacks should win. Some of us just think it could turn into a nail biter.

Some conjecture in one interesting post I read that France are increasingly cbf'd about the 6N. I don't know if that is true but if it is then their form coming into the tournament could be misleading.

Anyway when you have been crushed by them in 1999 and 2007 you don't forget easily. But yes there isn't much wrong with your post even if I have a different view.
    We're coming at it with the opposite psychology. We'd both love to be proven wrong.

It's nonsense that France cbf with the 6N. They're just desperately trying to excuse the four years they've just spent having their arse handed to them by Wales and Ireland. England tried to spin the exact same bull**** and most of the media bought it too.
    Hurricane likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information