Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Third Place Playoff : Wales vs Australia

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I hope for Aussie's sake this is the end of his international career. he has had enough chances and I have never seen him play like he does at super 15 level.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Better performance from the Aussies tonight, but seriously, is there a worse goal kicker going around than that guy Hook.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    He's supposedly rated quite highly as a goal kicker as well.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hope for Aussie's sake this is the end of his international career. he has had enough chances and I have never seen him play like he does at super 15 level.
    I highly doubt that'll be the last of Cooper at international level. Put aside the WC and for the majority of the year he performed better than Carter (admittedly DC struggled in Super Rugby with injury for a period). With due respect to Barnes, hes conventional but not outstanding when compared to Cooper, whos still only 23 after all. Perhaps Cooper is to Australian rugby what Sehwag is to Indian cricket - brilliant when hes on form but exposed when hes not. Also I'll point out that Cooper's comfortably the top "try assister" in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Better performance from the Aussies tonight, but seriously, is there a worse goal kicker going around than that guy Hook.
    I'm sure Stephen Donald could give him a run for his money. In seriousness, really surprised that Hook struggled so badly for goalkicking form; every other time I've seen him kick hes been pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    You would think Wales would've been on the receiving end of a belting if Cooper didn't get injured. He actually looked threatening for once in this tournament.
    Would've been different had Beale not blown his hamstring in the first 10 minutes too. I was a bit confused about the Welsh tactics - they finally worked out in the 80th minute that keeping ball in hand and attacking patiently eventually creates an overlap to score - as up until then I was hardly impressed at their efforts. I'd heard calls for Roberts to be named player of the tournament though he had his worst performance of the tournament which I imagine would put a stop to any more calls for him to receive that award.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Would've been different had Beale not blown his hamstring in the first 10 minutes too. I was a bit confused about the Welsh tactics - they finally worked out in the 80th minute that keeping ball in hand and attacking patiently eventually creates an overlap to score - as up until then I was hardly impressed at their efforts. I'd heard calls for Roberts to be named player of the tournament though he had his worst performance of the tournament which I imagine would put a stop to any more calls for him to receive that award.
    I was waiting for Australia to put Wales down to earth somewhat tbh. I know they are a well coached and reasonably talented side but they have been overhyped of late.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 21-10-2011 at 08:18 AM.

That try only got scored because Australia had already won. Wales tried to run it before that and couldn't get anywhere - in one case leading to a poor dropped goal attempt.

Overall Wales didn't look very penetrative. If you can stop Roberts then you stop Wales it seems.

Wales' try was due to an obvious forward pass. Wales were flattered by the score line.

Constant handling errors - of which Roberts was guilty as well.

And as Gatland pointed out slow ball back from the breakdown.

I highly doubt that'll be the last of Cooper at international level. Put aside the WC and for the majority of the year he performed better than Carter (admittedly DC struggled in Super Rugby with injury for a period). With due respect to Barnes, hes conventional but not outstanding when compared to Cooper, whos still only 23 after all. Perhaps Cooper is to Australian rugby what Sehwag is to Indian cricket - brilliant when hes on form but exposed when hes not. Also I'll point out that Cooper's comfortably the top "try assister" in the tournament.
    Please remind me of a test match this year or any year where he has lived up to his Super 15 levels of pure dominance.

Also Barnes is consistent. Cooper is like a box of chocolates.

I have come to the conclusion that he needs to reign it in at this level and just do the simple things well. There was a great interview with Benji Marshall a couple of years ago - he said I have realised that I need to play percentages and not try to make a play happen every play. And he has gone great guns ever since. I realise this is a leaague example but he is a similar talent and in a similar position.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 21-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Would guess all were against the US, Russia & Italy tho. Went missing in all the big games.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Please remind me of a test match this year or any year where he has lived up to his Super 15 levels of pure dominance.

Also Barnes is consistent. Cooper is like a box of chocolates.

I have come to the conclusion that he needs to reign it in at this level and just do the simple things well. There was a great interview with Benji Marshall a couple of years ago - he said I have realised that I need to play percentages and not try to make a play happen every play. And he has gone great guns ever since. I realise this is a leaague example but he is a similar talent and in a similar position.
    When Australia have played well this year (particularly vs NZ in Brisbane and their away match in SA), Genia and Cooper were commanding. For the Reds they were irresistable. Sure Barnes is consistent - I wouldn't mind him starting at 12 (my real issue is his impact off the bench) - but if Australia are going to ignite such a talented backline then I feel the Genia-Cooper halves combination is the best way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Would guess all were against the US, Russia & Italy tho. Went missing in all the big games.
    Yeh almost exclusively in those three matches. My point was more to illustrate that despite being bagged for his efforts in some of the big matches, some of his better efforts were rather ignored.

When Australia have played well this year (particularly vs NZ in Brisbane and their away match in SA), Genia and Cooper were commanding. For the Reds they were irresistable. Sure Barnes is consistent - I wouldn't mind him starting at 12 (my real issue is his impact off the bench) - but if Australia are going to ignite such a talented backline then I feel the Genia-Cooper halves combination is the best way to go.

Yeh almost exclusively in those three matches. My point was more to illustrate that despite being bagged for his efforts in some of the big matches, some of his better efforts were rather ignored.
    Genia was amazing in Brisbane - Cooper was solid but not game breaking. Didn't see him in SA.

I have highlighted the part I wish to comment on. He looked like the greatest 10 to ever play during the super 15. And I feel you are taking his super 15 talent into account when judging his play for Australia. You figure if persevered with he will find his feet at this level.
    Is this what you think?

Genia was amazing in Brisbane - Cooper was solid but not game breaking. Didn't see him in SA.

I have highlighted the part I wish to comment on. He looked like the greatest 10 to ever play during the super 15. And I feel you are taking his super 15 talent into account when judging his play for Australia. You figure if persevered with he will find his feet at this level.
    Is this what you think?
    Well I will say that Super Rugby form doesn't always translate into test form - Stephen Donald's a pretty good illustration of that - but even so, when Donald was playing well he was still clearly inferior to Carter. Cooper was the best 10 in Super Rugby this year comfortably and I think that, with a little more direction, could be one of Australia's best ever 10s. Hes still only 23 IIRC so by 2015 will have a lot more experience to draw on - plus he won't have to endure the wrath of NZ crowds.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Yep - Let's the write the guy off at 23 and plug for a guy who hasn't played all season and shown little at international level.

Genia-Cooper is the Aussie halves pairing for the next 8 years, unless Quade goes to League.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Well I will say that Super Rugby form doesn't always translate into test form - Stephen Donald's a pretty good illustration of that - but even so, when Donald was playing well he was still clearly inferior to Carter. Cooper was the best 10 in Super Rugby this year comfortably and I think that, with a little more direction, could be one of Australia's best ever 10s. Hes still only 23 IIRC so by 2015 will have a lot more experience to draw on - plus he won't have to endure the wrath of NZ crowds.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Yep - Let's the write the guy off at 23 and plug for a guy who hasn't played all season and shown little at international level.

Genia-Cooper is the Aussie halves pairing for the next 8 years, unless Quade goes to League.
    Too happy right now to debate anything. If you want to pick him based on potential so be it - just provide him with mentorship and coaching.

Cheers Lads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information