Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final: France vs NZ

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Yeah but to be fair we aren't a rugby nation and we have only ever had 1 good team and they won it.

Point i was making is that winning it away from home has more kudos and earns more respect than at home. Like the way Brazil were revered in football for winning it away from South America and being only side to win football WC away from own continent for so long etc...

When it comes to it in about 20 years time this NZ side won't be ranked as good as say the England side of 03 or SA of 07 and most of that will be because they won it away. It would actually be a good discussion as to which world cup winners were the best team of all time.
    Point I'm making mate is we aren't a rugby nation either, it's our third code here, arguably fourth (but I think third). And we've won it twice. But tbf, NZ is a better rugby nation than we are by a million miles. Not because it's their number one side, but because of the type of people who play it and administer it at the elite level there compared with here.

The England team that won in 03 wasn't a great team ffs. They set rugby back 20 years with the boring style of play and had that over rated nuffy at five eigth who was nothing but a penalty kicker. He's the worst number 10 to have won the WC, and by some margin

Edit: and I should add because of the way NZ play .
    Last edited by Burgey; 23-10-2011 at 06:14 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman27bob View Post
    Out of interest, what would people pick as the best game of the tournament?
    I'd say Argentina v Scotland. Proper arm wrestle and won by a moment of genuine brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The England team that won in 03 wasn't a great team ffs. They set rugby back 20 years with the boring style of play and had that over rated nuffy at five eigth who was nothing but a penalty kicker. He's the worst number 10 to have won the WC, and by some margin.
    Nah, we were. We peaked just before the world cup when we won in Oz & NZ and were running on fumes for most of the tournament, but to say we weren't a great side is to sell us short. We had an awesome pack and in Dawson, Greenwood & Robinson some genuinely attacking options behind it.

Do agree Wilkinson's overrated (he needs someone to tell him what to do; always responded more to the gobby Dawson than the more reserved Bracken and struggles without a kicking 2nd 5/8 outside him), but he's a much better player than Butch ****ing James.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Haha yes. Forgot about Butch tbf (perhaps understandably!)

Significant heart palpitations in the last 10 minutes.

But what a moment when the final whistle blew - a privilege to be there.

And such a thrilling game. Full credit to the French - best I've seen them play in years.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    That Thierry Dusautoir is one badass dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    NZ looking rather lethargic here, referee still not giving anything against them mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Oh well. The home team factor was the difference. The team bottled it like they've done for the past 20odd years. But the referee didn't want to call high tackles or a number of other things against New Zealand, the referee bottled it as much as New Zealand did. France are crap but they performed as well as they could. The best team in the tournament did win, but they didn't deserve to.
    Haha, **** me dead. If it was destined, once the game was close, that any **** - any ****ing **** - would pop his head up, throwing his negative ****ing **** all over this place, it'd be you. You're pathetic. No, scratch that - you're less than pathetic. You hate your own team, you hate all other teams. In fact, why the **** do you watch rugby union, let alone any other sport for that matter. You smear hatred all over any competitive situation you have the displeasure of coming across.

You know nothing about rugby union at all. Nothing. You are Nigel Richards' bitch at Scrabble too, which must tear you up inside like a triple letter score when someone drops an X on that tile. Throw me a ban, mods, I don't care, but if you can't see what a cancer this man is on the forum, then I'll take the hit instead.

That was an average NZ performance, desperately average in fact. But credit must go to firstly, France, for throwing all amounts of attacking pressure on us (without being outstandingly creative) and to our defence for holding it out (except for that one try). I've been a Joubert fan for years, but I'd argue he did as good a job for both sides as you'd see. I had a whinge about one ruck penalty, but that was it, and that's a good level for any ref (and I pre-empted several penalties against NZ which we both seemed to see).

U19 12th Man
    France was scared to go for the win. They picked up a line from the Romanian playbook when they chose to kick at goal after a penalty inside the 22 and near the touchline. It was obvious it will be a tough kick and it was missed.

Evem that Trinh-Duc kick would have been better played in touch, because the French were superior in lineouts. They didn't dare to take a gamble and deservingly lost.

NZ was very beatable today and Weepu had a bad game all around (except some tactical kicks). No dare, no win.

Great game though, very tense and close, and the haka moment was brilliant.
    Last edited by atisha_ro; 23-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    No way IMO. They never looked like scoring besides for Weepu's stupid mistake. They never got any decent kickable penalties and Weepu missed a handful of kicks. The All Blacks played better, looked better on offense and were better on defense. The last 20 minutes were just us backing we could hold out a 1 point margin and not going for any offensive rugby. It was a risky strategy but it paid off, France couldn't even get over the halfway.

France were the better side for the majority of the match and it was only great defense and a ref who was incredibly lenient at the break-down that held them off

As for NZ "just us backing we could hold out a 1 point margin and not going for any offensive rugby" - mate, they were ****ting themselves, totally lost their shape and couldnt think to do anything else other than kick and hope

That being said, it would've been an incredible injustice to see the French win the WC as they only put together about 100 minutes of decent rugby in the whole tournament

Congrats to NZ - clearly the best team throughout the tourney and the country really deserves/needs it

Congratulations to all NZ fans on CW. Was close, as one might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Haha, **** me dead. If it was destined, once the game was close, that any **** - any ****ing **** - would pop his head up, throwing his negative ****ing **** all over this place, it'd be you. You're pathetic. No, scratch that - you're less than pathetic. You hate your own team, you hate all other teams. In fact, why the **** do you watch rugby union, let alone any other sport for that matter. You smear hatred all over any competitive situation you have the displeasure of coming across.

You know nothing about rugby union at all. Nothing. You are Nigel Richards' bitch at Scrabble too, which must tear you up inside like a triple letter score when someone drops an X on that tile. Throw me a ban, mods, I don't care, but if you can't see what a cancer this man is on the forum, then I'll take the hit instead.

That was an average NZ performance, desperately average in fact. But credit must go to firstly, France, for throwing all amounts of attacking pressure on us (without being outstandingly creative) and to our defence for holding it out (except for that one try). I've been a Joubert fan for years, but I'd argue he did as good a job for both sides as you'd see. I had a whinge about one ruck penalty, but that was it, and that's a good level for any ref (and I pre-empted several penalties against NZ which we both seemed to see).
    Grow a pair.

Actually I have a winning record v Nigel Richards, I admire the guy because he's clearly a class above everyone else and deserves to win. If he had done a NZ and played like a total numpty in the World Championships final and still won then I'd have said he didn't deserve to win - even though he's the best player there. Feel free to whine like a baby about it. I couldn't care less who or what the person or team represents, I'll call it how I see it - it's not personal.

NZ were crap in that final and without some non-calls from the referee would have found themselves in their own 22 far more often in that match and they wouldn't have got that penalty they kicked to go 8-0 up (immedately after a blatant high tackle). Who knows whether a even-handed referee would have meant a France win or not, but they would have made it far harder for NZ that's for sure - defending in your own 22 not around the half-way line. Penalties are huge in rugby union - as highlighted by England having sweet FA chance of winning this tournament and losing the 2007 final. You get referees and umpires in all sports who make home calls, Joubert was one of them, that's sport. Pretending otherwise is ridiculous, I'd suggest if you're that bothered after you've just won your first rugby union World Cup for 24 years then you obviously recognise there's some truth to it.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Congrats to NZ!

Can relate to the thrill of winning a WC at home
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 23-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    world champions !!!!

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Thought Joubert was very good, personally. Union has so many grey areas, it must be one of the toughest sports to officiate, so the main thing I look for is consistency. I thought he policed the ruck well. He pulled up the All Blacks the times when they had hands in there, and communicated well with the players when he could see they were on their way to infringing. As with pretty much every game this tournament, I thought there were a number of lineout throws that weren't straight, but it seems to have been the case throughout the tournament.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Point I'm making mate is we aren't a rugby nation either, it's our third code here, arguably fourth (but I think third). And we've won it twice. But tbf, NZ is a better rugby nation than we are by a million miles. Not because it's their number one side, but because of the type of people who play it and administer it at the elite level there compared with here.

The England team that won in 03 wasn't a great team ffs. They set rugby back 20 years with the boring style of play and had that over rated nuffy at five eigth who was nothing but a penalty kicker. He's the worst number 10 to have won the WC, and by some margin

Edit: and I should add because of the way NZ play .
    I'm sorry mate but don't agree with that at all, the team that won in 03 were a great side, the 3 years leading up to the WC they played 37 and won 34 of them.
    They had great players all over the park mixed in with some very good players, with guys like Johnson, Back, Hill, Dallaglio and Vickery in the forwards to Greenwood, Robinson, Dawson, Lewsey and Wilkinson in the backs. They won everything and beat everyone in the run up to the WC and in that time didn't lose a single game to any of the southern hemisphere teams.
    To say they had a boring style of play that set rugby back is by 20 years is spoken like a true Ozzie who is still bitter by the loss because it's clearly wrong. Even though they played to their strengths which was the forwards, they had a very exciting back line, that scored some brilliant tries and which won them many a game.

Anyway well done to the NZ fans.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information