Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final: France vs NZ

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    When it comes to it in about 20 years time this NZ side won't be ranked as good as say the England side of 03 or SA of 07 and most of that will be because they won it away. It would actually be a good discussion as to which world cup winners were the best team of all time.
    Whatever, bro.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well done the All Blacks.

France had the better of the game you'd have to say, but Wales had the better of France, so you don't always get what you deserve and the All Blacks had gone through the tournament unbeaten.

As other people have said, I'm sure a lot of nations will be working on their goal kicking over the next 4 years!
    No way IMO. They never looked like scoring besides for Weepu's stupid mistake. They never got any decent kickable penalties and Weepu missed a handful of kicks. The All Blacks played better, looked better on offense and were better on defense. The last 20 minutes were just us backing we could hold out a 1 point margin and not going for any offensive rugby. It was a risky strategy but it paid off, France couldn't even get over the halfway.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Yeah but to be fair we aren't a rugby nation and we have only ever had 1 good team and they won it.

Point i was making is that winning it away from home has more kudos and earns more respect than at home. Like the way Brazil were revered in football for winning it away from South America and being only side to win football WC away from own continent for so long etc...

When it comes to it in about 20 years time this NZ side won't be ranked as good as say the England side of 03 or SA of 07 and most of that will be because they won it away. It would actually be a good discussion as to which world cup winners were the best team of all time.
    Also important is the England and SA sides had a degree of control and deserved to win. South Africa were pedestrian attacking-wise but there was an inevitably about England and South Africa winning. They earned those tournaments. New Zealand have won this final because of the home advantage. They may have upped their performance in different circumstances, but the fact is that was not a champion's performance, particularly in the second half.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Yeah but to be fair we aren't a rugby nation and we have only ever had 1 good team and they won it.

Point i was making is that winning it away from home has more kudos and earns more respect than at home. Like the way Brazil were revered in football for winning it away from South America and being only side to win football WC away from own continent for so long etc...

The edited in portion is atrocious.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    People are discussing the French response to the haka - it basically set up the whole game.

The French will be fined and punished for crossing half way but it was worth it for them and it nearly worked.

Nisbett's commentary on the event was predictably understated.
    I loved their response to the haka. The IRB ruling about being behind the 10 metre lines is a joke, IMO they should let the teams do what they want with regards the pre-match challenges (well besides a stand-off a la Wales vs NZ about five or so years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I loved their response to the haka. The IRB ruling about being behind the 10 metre lines is a joke, IMO they should let the teams do what they want with regards the pre-match challenges (well besides a stand-off a la Wales vs NZ about five or so years ago)
    It was brilliant. Really set the tone for the intensity of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman27bob View Post
    Out of interest, what would people pick as the best game of the tournament?
    I'd probably rate Wales vs SA as the best, and although there was a lot of debate regarding the officialdom in Australia vs SA, I thoroughly enjoyed that too. Also really enjoyed one of the matches I attended, France vs Japan, and thought for a match involving a minnow it was well above expectation as far as entertainment went.

All 3 of the Eng-Scot-Arg games were brilliant.

NZ are a bunch of homers then. We will wait for another 24 years for another victory for them when they host it again.

Seriously though, they need to win it away from home soil now to earn the full respect worldwide like the Aussies, SA and England have done.
    Lol, I expected this line of argument, but not immediately in the aftermath. Of course the problem you have is apparently it's not easy to win at home. Only NZ & SA have managed to ever win as host countries, so based on that fact one could argue there's more pressure & expectation at home.

No way IMO. They never looked like scoring besides for Weepu's stupid mistake. They never got any decent kickable penalties and Weepu missed a handful of kicks. The All Blacks played better, looked better on offense and were better on defense. The last 20 minutes were just us backing we could hold out a 1 point margin and not going for any offensive rugby. It was a risky strategy but it paid off, France couldn't even get over the halfway.
    I actually agree with James. I think we were the better side in the first half, scored a try and should've scored a few penalties to take a 10 point lead or so. France for me easily had the better of the second half though; I can barely remember us venturing into their 22, and they had the better of territory and possession. Sure their try resulted from Nonu/Weepu's errors but you could argue a French defensive blunder lead to Woodcock's try too.

Haha, flibberty and Scaly.

NZ obviously missed a trick at the toss, chosing to play at home and all.
    Last edited by KiWiNiNjA; 23-10-2011 at 06:20 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    All 3 of the Eng-Scot-Arg games were brilliant.
    Yeah, weren't the best in terms of quality but all 3 games seesawed and were so tight. A bit like England in the cricket world cup, their mediocrity was part of the whole competition with the drama they produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I actually agree with James. I think we were the better side in the first half, scored a try and should've scored a few penalties to take a 10 point lead or so. France for me easily had the better of the second half though; I can barely remember us venturing into their 22, and they had the better of territory and possession. Sure their try resulted from Nonu/Weepu's errors but you could argue a French defensive blunder lead to Woodcock's try too.
    The French not really threatening all that much despite holding so much possession meant that they didn't play the better game though IMO.

The French not really threatening all that much despite holding so much possession meant that they didn't play the better game though IMO.
    Possibly, but they did miss two second half penalties - one of which I initially thought Yachvili kicked - and in my mind were tactically better in the second half; fortunately we had a large enough lead and our defence was disciplined enough, and we were then able to kill the game Southland style in the final five minutes.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What a finish it was !!!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information