Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Semi Final 1 - France vs Wales

The IRB is trying to crack down on spear tackles in the sport. The rules state that if you lift a player up off the ground you are responsible for ensuring he comes back down safely, the standard with spear tackles being applied in regards to rotating the player past horizontal. Intention or malice (or lack thereof), according to the IRB's official stance, are neither mitigating nor aggravating circumstances.

That said, I believe that if you lift a player off the ground and rotate him past the horizontal point, you're going to get a card, and it only becomes a question of red or yellow. If you realize your mistake and let him go, then you can get away with a yellow. If you drive him into the ground, upper body first, or drop him from a dangerous height, you should get a red. That's why last night's ruling is open for interpretation, because he did not drive him into the ground. However, he was up pretty high in the air, and while I do not believe it was malicious (I don't believe anyone thought it was), it was obvious that he was intentionally rotating the player, though too far because he mistimed it.

I believe, had he not let him go, and fallen to the ground with him, he would have gotten a yellow instead, but it was a pretty reckless tackle from the beginning. He set himself up for a bit of a gray area between yellow and red. The sending off was arguably harsh, however, if he had gotten only a yellow card instead, everyone would probably be talking about how he was lucky to get away with not getting sent off.

U19 Debutant
    I'm really not too fussed about the red card tbh -- at first it looked like it would kill the match, but in fact it didn't and Wales should have won regardless. Four missed kicks, each of which would have been enough to secure the win. The fact is, 14 Welsh v 15 French and the Welsh were still clearly the better team, and yet we still didn't win. That's painful.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-o View Post
    I'm really not too fussed about the red card tbh -- at first it looked like it would kill the match, but in fact it didn't and Wales should have won regardless. Four missed kicks, each of which would have been enough to secure the win. The fact is, 14 Welsh v 15 French and the Welsh were still clearly the better team, and yet we still didn't win. That's painful.
    If anything, the red card is what made the match the nailbiter that it was.

I am of the opinion that Wales would have won rather comfortably if not for being forced to play tighter and more conservatively with 14 men.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Nah, the two missed penalty kicks are imo, they should've had it in the bag. [/captainobvious]
    Exit pursuing a beer

I can barely breathe.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    The thing is where is the common sense? This wasn't a dangerous tackle
    Lolwut. I have no idea where the common sense is.

The Welsh really aren't letting this one go, I thought it was a fair enough decision. Most of the time you'll only get a yellow but if you don't tip a player over in mid-air and drop them on their head then you don't risk getting a red card. Easy solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I don't really know the rules too well, just like the England team, but I also don't see the big fuss over the red card. It was a bit harsh at most and Wales had plenty of opportunities to win but bottled it, again. So yea a pretty good result really, shame I was busy in Warsaw so didn't get to see it live. Would have been rather fun.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    I don't really know the rules too well, just like the England team, but I also don't see the big fuss over the red card. It was a bit harsh at most and Wales had plenty of opportunities to win but bottled it, again. So yea a pretty good result really, shame I was busy in Warsaw so didn't get to see it live. Would have been rather fun.
    this.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    I think the "big fuss" was made by people who wanted to see a good contest with 15 against 15, rather than have the rules properly applied and have the the right decision made but reduce the match to less of a spectacle.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I think the "big fuss" was made by people who wanted to see a good contest with 15 against 15, rather than have the rules properly applied and have the the right decision made but reduce the match to less of a spectacle.
    And by people who'd seen the same infringement punished with a yellow for the rest of the tournament.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information