Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Semi Final 1 - France vs Wales

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Pretty sure similar tackles in this World Cup have only been yellow carded at most, actually.
    I see your point though I can't recall specific ones off the top of my head to compare the spear tackle tonight with. Even if that were the case, I'd argue that those referees weren't strict enough. For those interested this was the quote from the IRB directive to referees in 2009 that applies today: "The IRB Council approved a Laws Designated Members Ruling which essentially made it clear that tackles involving a player being lifted off the ground and tipped horizontally and were then either forced or dropped to the ground are illegal and constitute dangerous play...[this includes when] the lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle."

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I'm sorry, I buy that even less than a copy of Jonathan Millmow's collected Dominion Post articles.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

I'm sorry, I buy that even less than a copy of Jonathan Millmow's collected Dominion Post articles.
    Have a read of the full report if you like: http://www.orrs.ca/forms/090610%20Da...s%20Tackle.pdf

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The thing is where is the common sense? This wasn't a dangerous tackle, it was just a big hit that went wrong. There is an obvious difference between this tackle which accidently ended as it did and the tackle on Bod a few years back which was done deliberately. If people can't see that then it is a sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    The thing is where is the common sense? This wasn't a dangerous tackle, it was just a big hit that went wrong. There is an obvious difference between this tackle which accidently ended as it did and the tackle on Bod a few years back which was done deliberately. If people can't see that then it is a sad day.
    Well, I'd argue that it was a dangerous tackle since Clerc was essentially stranded and was lucky that his landing was on the back of his neck and not the top of his head. In full speed it looks bad though. I guess most spear tackles are actually "big hits that go wrong", but I don't think that should excuse the player who put himself in position to spear another player. I don't want to get too caught up in the O'Driscoll/Umaga incident since that was well off the ball and a different scenario altogether - and theres still a lot of debate about exactly what happened.

The point I'm really making is that after all the complaints against referees, particular South Africans against Lawrence, Samoans against Owens, etc., the rule that I quoted showed that Rolland did exactly what he should've done. So its somewhat ironic that I've read on forums a lot of criticism that he did elect to do just that. I can perhaps buy an argument that perhaps the rules are too strict and like you've suggested there does need to be something about common sense, but anyone who lifts a player and drops him on his head/neck, whether that be deliberate or innocently, needs to be strongly penalised IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Just because the tackle wasn't malicious as such, it doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous. The bloke landed on his head, I'm not sure how that can be construed as anything other than dangerous, accidental or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Alain's wikipedia page has been busy.

'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

"Rolland is a fool who erroneously sent off Sam Warburton in the 2011 World Cup Final."

Who was the fool who erroneously thought Wales made it to the World Cup Final?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Did the Frog bloke get up and play on? Unless he's stretchered, you don't send players off in a WC quarter, semi or final in any sport. At worst you sin bin someone.

Yet another ref ensuring he's the talking point, not the players. It's the rugby malaise. They're all Bill bloody Harrigans.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    He's confusing because he is an Indian fan - but yes I figured out his nationhood eventually.
    No wonder he's got a few issues

I know nowt about rugger, but I know about Welsh people, they're ****s, it was a good decision, IMHO allez lez frogs.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Have a read of the full report if you like: http://www.orrs.ca/forms/090610%20Da...s%20Tackle.pdf
    Look, I was pretty drunk last night, but there have been probably half a dozen similar tackles in this world cup; and none of which attracted a red card. I'm sure suffered a similar red card indignity in the 1987 semi final too, so this will only add to the chip on their shoulder. When so much is riding on one game, I think a great deal more common sense should be shown. I doubt whether anyone would be complaining right now if he'd been yellowed.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    How was the ref suppossed to see that he had been dropped and not forced to he ground, if the rules allowed for that distinction, it all happened very quickly.
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    How was the ref suppossed to see that he had been dropped and not forced to he ground, if the rules allowed for that distinction, it all happened very quickly.
    And regardless, dropping can be as dangerous as driving, simply because there is no control by the tackler. I have no time for such tackles and if one of our players gets sent off for such a tackle tonight (if anyone, it'll be Nonu), I'll have no qualms if the red comes out.

Yeah, I agree. It was a tough decision, given the context, but I have no issue with the red card.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information