• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - France vs Wales

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, you'd have to say that it was the Welsh kicking that cost them in the end. 11 points went begging and any one of the four they missed would've won it.

Why Jones (S) didn't take the drop on when they were in the French 22 was dire game management and, dare one say it, a little windy of him. Didn't want the responsibility it seems.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that was a horrible way to spend a saturday morning, thank god the ****s are out could not have stomached seeing them in a final.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't say France played particularly well but NZers well know you don't have to be the best side to win knockout matches in World Cups. I will say it would've been a bit of a shame had Halfpenny's penalty been the winning of the game for Wales since it should've been a penalty against the Welsh for not releasing/playing the ball on the ground before the French infringement. I remember having a few discussions pre-tournament that goalkicking might be a factor in the winning/losing of matches; that certainly applies to Wales tonight.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Very average performance from the French. Actually find myself feeling sorry for the Welsh. Reckon Warburton should have got a yellow, but never a red.

Like Brumbers said though, their kicking was to blame. 2 were incredibly close. Though Halfpenney was a monster, had a great game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't matter. The IRB sees dropping a player as equal to driving him into the ground. They have zero tolerance to spear tackles and fair enough - that was incredibly reckless from the Welsh captain. Wales still hanging in there at the moment.
Yup exactly. I wasn't suggesting there was any malice in what Warburton did, but I can't disagree at all with Rolland's call.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well, you'd have to say that it was the Welsh kicking that cost them in the end. 11 points went begging and any one of the four they missed would've won it.

Why Jones (S) didn't take the drop on when they were in the French 22 was dire game management and, dare one say it, a little windy of him. Didn't want the responsibility it seems.
Kicking always seems to win the games. Some of the French kicks were quite tricky too.

Thoughts on the game - heroic and couragous stuff from Wales. FRance shut down Roberts though except for one run. And it was like Wales expected him to be shut down and went to a number of other players throughout the game.

Coming into the game I was backing the French - however with that heart warming performance it was tough not to want Wales to succeed from a neutral's perspective.

Had the man not been sent off - surely wales would have won. They were winning before it happened in terms of run of the game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of interest, does the Ref have the ability to confer with the TMO on such decisions (or does the TMO have the ability to let the Refs know of an incident they may have missed?)
TMO's only permitted to rule on tries/kicks at goal:
A match organiser may appoint an official who uses technological devices. If the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal involving a try being scored or a touch down, that official may be consulted.
The official may be consulted if the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal with regard to the scoring of a try or a touch down when foul play in in-goal may have been involved.
The official may be consulted in relation to the success or otherwise of kicks at goal.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I just hope NZ get the same decision against them tomorrow, I guarantee you will have a different view then.
If one of the ABs picks a Wallaby up in the tackle and lets them fall on their head then I'd hope the same penalty to Warburton is applied. At the end of the day letting a player fall on their head is dangerous play. As I said, I don't believe there was any malice in what Warburton did and in this case Clerc certainly wasn't injured, but theres a line which seems to have been drawn particularly in recent years (post the Umaga/O'Driscoll incident I would suggest) and anything remotely close to a spear tackle is penalised heavily.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad for Wales obviously, those kind of decisions really need to be made upstairs for mine.

Having said that, it's good news for who ever wins tomorrows semi.

centurymaker

International Captain
If we win tomorrow, there's no doubt in my mind that we will win the world cup.

Tomorrow's game is essentially the final (at least for us).

BTW Wales have only themselves to blame for such a below par performance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we win tomorrow, there's no doubt in my mind that we will win the world cup.

Tomorrow's game is essentially the final (at least for us).

BTW Wales have only themselves to blame for such a below par performance.
Who's 'we' Centurymaker?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If one of the ABs picks a Wallaby up in the tackle and lets them fall on their head then I'd hope the same penalty to Warburton is applied. At the end of the day letting a player fall on their head is dangerous play. As I said, I don't believe there was any malice in what Warburton did and in this case Clerc certainly wasn't injured, but theres a line which seems to have been drawn particularly in recent years (post the Umaga/O'Driscoll incident I would suggest) and anything remotely close to a spear tackle is penalised heavily.
Pretty sure similar tackles in this World Cup have only been yellow carded at most, actually.