Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi Final 2 - NZ v Australia - Eden Park

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Just on the Donald thing: was it a visa issue or was the ABs planning so meticulous/paranoid it involved keeping the 4th choice outside-half in NZ for the duration in case two of the chaps ahead of him broke down?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

The latter, I'd imagine. Probably didn't want any off-contract guys leaving until after the World Cup in the unlikely event they were required.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Appropriate, seeing as he only has one.
    I laughed. Then felt slightly guilty. Then laughed again.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    After watching Aaron Cruden's interview today I have come to the conclusion that we don't have a **** show of winning.

"The guys have told me to just be Aaron Cruden and to express myself and I intend to do that - last year in Aussie i was too nervous to fully express myself"

The reason why he was ****e is that all he did last year was express himself - little grubber kicks - solo runs there - and never passing the ball to his centres.

His turn around in the last game was because he didn't express himself - he actually passed the ball.

if I was not a kiwi I would change my tip in the tipping competition but i don't want to have split loyalties.

Rant over.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    We're more likely to win this match than Australia are.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    We're more likely to win this match than Australia are.
    We lost to them with Carter in our last outing - now Mccaw isn't 100%

Is Beale playing or not?

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    McCaw wasn't fit in that game either and neither was Carter. The pair of them have been carrying injuries all season. McCaw took a huge knock early on in that game and Carter had one of his worst ever performances in a black jersey, but it was a very poor All Black performance for the most part with only a few players living up to their usual standards. Nevertheless, that was in August. If you look at the World Cup to date, Australia has regressed from that Brisbane performance and New Zealand have improved in the back three and more crucially the pack. This World Cup is no longer about Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. Guys like Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Peri Weepu and Israel Dagg hold the keys to victory. Of course, Australia can win. If they were going to break their losing streak at Eden Park it would be more likely to happen on the big stage than in a Bledisloe test, but New Zealand are playing at home and have a very good team and need to go out there and perform to their ability. The last time Aaron Cruden started against Australia in Sydney he was let down by the senior players around him and some poor prep from the coaches for that game, but we still won.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    We lost to them with Carter in our last outing - now Mccaw isn't 100%

Is Beale playing or not?
    That match in Brisbane represents a completely different situation to the SF on Sunday, and Ohtani's jacket has made a good post explaining that. I'll add too that the AB squad for that match was very disjointed, that the ABs had just come off a loss, and the Wallabies were playing in Brisbane which followed on from the Reds success in Super Rugby and seemed to motivate the Australians. I'd also add to his list of key players Conrad Smith and Kieran Read, both of whom are crucial to an AB victory. As for Cruden, I actually quite like the attitude he expressed in that interview. I got the impression Slade was under quite strict instructions in terms of a gameplan to try and fill the gap Carter left, and clearly he wasn't able to do so. In my mind, since Cruden's recently been added to the mix he hasn't been quite so influenced into playing in that style, and is rather carrying on from where he left off in the ITM Cup, in which he was outstanding, with his own style.
    Last edited by Somerset; 14-10-2011 at 09:34 AM.

So it's confirmed that Beale will miss the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    McCaw wasn't fit in that game either and neither was Carter. The pair of them have been carrying injuries all season. McCaw took a huge knock early on in that game and Carter had one of his worst ever performances in a black jersey, but it was a very poor All Black performance for the most part with only a few players living up to their usual standards. Nevertheless, that was in August. If you look at the World Cup to date, Australia has regressed from that Brisbane performance and New Zealand have improved in the back three and more crucially the pack. This World Cup is no longer about Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. Guys like Tony Woodcock, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Peri Weepu and Israel Dagg hold the keys to victory. Of course, Australia can win. If they were going to break their losing streak at Eden Park it would be more likely to happen on the big stage than in a Bledisloe test, but New Zealand are playing at home and have a very good team and need to go out there and perform to their ability. The last time Aaron Cruden started against Australia in Sydney he was let down by the senior players around him and some poor prep from the coaches for that game, but we still won.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    That match in Brisbane represents a completely different situation to the SF on Sunday, and Ohtani's jacket has made a good post explaining that. I'll add too that the AB squad for that match was very disjointed, that the ABs had just come off a loss, and the Wallabies were playing in Brisbane which followed on from the Reds success in Super Rugby and seemed to motivate the Australians. I'd also add to his list of key players Conrad Smith and Kieran Read, both of whom are crucial to an AB victory. As for Cruden, I actually quite like the attitude he expressed in that interview. I got the impression Slade was under quite strict instructions in terms of a gameplan to try and fill the gap Carter left, and clearly he wasn't able to do so. In my mind, since Cruden's recently been added to the mix he hasn't been quite so influenced into playing in that style, and is rather carrying on from where he left off in the ITM Cup, in which he was outstanding, with his own style.
    Good posts - I could quibble with minor details - but on the whole enjoyed reading both perspectives especially OJs.

I think we have a different understanding of what "Cruden's style" means. And what him expressing himself means.

to me it means him trying to do everything himself and not passing to Nonu.

If in the ITM cup he shone by PASSING the ball rather than breaking the line himself then I will be reassured.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    So it's confirmed that Beale will miss the game.
    Big leg-up for the Blacks that news. Doesn't quite equate to the loss of Carter, but Beale is one of Australia's most potent.

The weather looks much better for tomorrows game.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar

I think we'll win this comfortably, IMO, by 10+ points.

Tonight's haka will be one for the ages.

Edit - I take that back ABs would be foolish to put too much energy into it. Instead of the game.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 15-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Woodcock, Mealamu, O.Franks, Thorn, Whitelock, Kaino, McCaw, Read, Weepu, Cruden, Kahui, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Dagg; Hore, B.Franks, A.Williams, Vito, Ellis, Donald, SB Williams

Posted by Somerset - the team for tonight

Here they are with places of birth

Woodcock Helensville, New Zealand Kaipara College
    Mealamu Tokoroa, Waikato, New Zealand
    O.Franks, Motueka, New Zealand
    Thorn, Mosgiel, New Zealand
    Whitelock, Palmerston North
    Kaino, Tutuila, American Samoa [1]
    McCaw, Oamaru, Otago, New Zealand
    Read,Papakura, New Zealand
    Weepu, Lower Hutt
    Cruden, Palmerston north
    Kahui, Tokoroa, New Zealand
    Nonu, Wellington, New Zealand
    Smith, Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand
    Jane, Upper Hutt
    Dagg; Marton, New Zealand
    Hore, Dunedin, New Zealand
    B.Franks, Melbourne, Australia
    A.Williams, Auckland, New Zealand
    Vito, Wellington, New Zealand
    Ellis,Christchurch, New Zealand
    Donald,Papakura, New Zealand
    SB Williams Auckland, New Zealand

These are local lads and one or two of them were born in your home town.

Get in behind the lads tonight Kiwi fans.

(No Hamiltonians I note?)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information