• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing XV of the tournament

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I will just name the backs at this stage - as I have never been good picking the front row.

Here is who I think would make the best back line who has not been ruled out through injury:

Yachvilli (for kicking alone)

Meh (no one has stood out once Carter has left)

Roberts
Nonu

Ioane
O Conner
Dagg (may be back in future games)

The contenders for 1st 5 are

The Irish and the Welsh 10. Both have been quietly efficient.

Wilkinson has been horrible, Steyn is poor on D, Cooper has done nothing of note. The ABs certainly have nothing to offer. France don't look great shakes in some games in that spot.

Name your XV and discuss...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Healy
Tincu
Castrogiovani
Nakarawa
Roussouw
O'Brien
Warburton
Kaino
Houggard
Priestland
Kahui
Nonu
Ashley-Cooper
Ashton
Dagg

Tried to include players from different nations who I felt had played particularly well at the tournament. Also was a bit inventive with Houggard at halfback (despite him only playing one match there) who I had to put in the team somewhere, and AAC shifting to 13. Hasn't really been a dominant 10 in the tournament so I went with Priestland whos essentially stopping Hook and Stephen Jones from starting for Wales.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hard to make a call on a few players; Harinordoquy had done nothing up until today, but was an absolute Trojan against us. If one applies the "only as good as your last game" rule he'd have a good shout.

I'd like to find room for Manu, but think I'd probably give Conrad Smith the edge for his wonderful hands.

Would definitely have Kaino on my blindside flank & probably Warburton as my 7.

North a shoo-in for one wing and, were he fit, Dagg would be nailed on as #15. Tempting to have the ever elusive Vincent Clerc on my other wing.

Mike Phillips is in good form, so he'd be my nine and, whilst there hasn't really been a pivot's masterclass yet, I think Cooper has just about shown enough to be my outside half.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Heh, did pick Priestland in my XV. ;) Given the performances of Cooper and Steyn today I'd find it extremely hard to argue for either of them in a best XV of the tournament.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who's the Welsh half back? FMD that was a good try he scored against Ireland.

Burgey

Dunno, but I read he's about 100 kgs, which is bloody big for a half. He had a great game agaisnt Ireland, though I haven't really been following the tournament enough to comment on what he's been like throughout.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh Mike Phillips. Had a great match against Ireland though hadn't really been standing out until then.

Zinzan

Dunno, but I read he's about 100 kgs, which is bloody big for a half. He had a great game agaisnt Ireland, though I haven't really been following the tournament enough to comment on what he's been like throughout.
:blink: Yup, Philips is supposedly 6'3 & 104 kg accordingly to Wiki which is just mental for a halfback. Surely the biggest international halfback ever.

Burgey

Yeh Mike Phillips. Had a great match against Ireland though hadn't really been standing out until then.
Fair enough.

Got a sneaking feeling Wales might win the whole dman thing, for some reason.

Apologies to Welsh supporters, that pretty well guarantees they'll be on the way home Sunday.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
:blink: Yup, Philips is supposedly 6'3 & 104 kg accordingly to Wiki which is just mental for a halfback. Surely the biggest international halfback ever.
To put that in perspective thats apparently 2kg heavier than Taniela Moa...so rather large indeed. :happy: