Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The importance of World Cup wins?

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    if we dont win, i'll stop watching rugby
    Thats a bit of an over-reaction I'd say! I mean, its not as if its New Zealand's right to win the tournament, they still need to earn it; and in a tournament which essentially relies on three knockout matches and is prone to upsets, nothings certain...

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    if we dont win, i'll stop watching rugby
    You support your teams in a strange way
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    i can't imagine how 'hurt' i will be if we lose again. if we cant win at home we cant win anywhere.

lets not get negative. I believe in black. come on we've got this in the bag.
    BTW I'll take a world win over 3.5 year dominance anyday.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    i can't imagine how 'hurt' i will be if we lose again. if we cant win at home we cant win anywhere.
    Umm again I have to disagree; even if the All Blacks don't win the World Cup this year it wouldn't at all surprise me if they're the most fancied team for the 2015 tournament in England, given the quality of the side and the ages of many of the players. In fact you'd have less pressure without home crowds so I would imagine their chances would be just as great.
    lets not get negative. I believe in black. come on we've got this in the bag.
    BTW I'll take a world win over 3.5 year dominance anyday.
    I think the most negative view to take is a stance of threatening to stop supporting the team if they don't win! I certainly believe in the side but hardly think its in the bag - you can have one bad 20-30 minute period in a knockout match and thats your tournament done. Theres bound to be upsets, just fingers crossed they don't involve the ABs this time!

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Umm again I have to disagree; even if the All Blacks don't win the World Cup this year it wouldn't at all surprise me if they're the most fancied team for the 2015 tournament in England, given the quality of the side and the ages of many of the players. In fact you'd have less pressure without home crowds so I would imagine their chances would be just as great.

I think the most negative view to take is a stance of threatening to stop supporting the team if they don't win! I certainly believe in the side but hardly think its in the bag - you can have one bad 20-30 minute period in a knockout match and thats your tournament done. Theres bound to be upsets, just fingers crossed they don't involve the ABs this time!
    we are going to win it thats why im making outrageous statements.

let's not be rational about it.

i'd imagine there wouldn't be any less pressure as people would be even more eager/desperate for a win. Plus the crowd support can really urge you on.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    To be fair, I guess most of the teams that win World Cups haven't really been mediocre pre-tournament (England 2003 were favourites, South Africa had a good run-in to the 2007 tournament). In saying that, how does being consistently poor for 90% of the time and turning up well for a tournament for a month and a half constitute a better overall performance than a team with an outstanding record between World Cups (NZs win/loss sits at about 80% since 2007) and a one-off loss in the tournament? The funny thing is, if New Zealand do happen to lose this time, I think a lot of other New Zealanders would actually agree with your viewpoint; but its one I don't really subscribe to.
    Ask SL in the 96 cricket WC.

Doesn't diminish the achievement. Everyone in the sport knows this is the biggest tourney, iot's incumbent upon them to turn up and play their best, injuries allowing.

On that note, Australia needs to start picking a few blokes who have been west of Anzac Parade in their lives, so when the silver spoons get removed from their arses, they get on with the job and actually play with some bloody heart.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information