• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stage - General Discussion

James

Cricket Web Owner
Quarter-finals

8 October 18:00 – Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D (QF1)

8 October 20:30 – Eden Park, Auckland
Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A (QF2)

9 October 18:00 – Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C (QF3)

9 October 20:30 – Eden Park, Auckland
Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B (QF4)

Semi Finals

15 October 21:00 – Eden Park, Auckland
QF1 Winner v QF2 Winner

16 October 21:00 – Eden Park, Auckland
QF3 Winner v QF4 Winner

Third Place

21 October 20:30 – Eden Park, Auckland
Loser SF1 v Loser SF2

Final

23 October 21:00 – Eden Park, Auckland
Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Start times are of great interest to me - as I posted earlier kicking may be more important if handling becomes difficult.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After that Ireland victory it looks probable one half of the draw is going to be all northern hemisphere.

Ireland (C winner) v Wales (D runner-up)

v

England (B winner) v France (A runner-up)

centurymaker

International Captain
Now I'm kind of hoping that we somehow lose to France so that our quarter-final and the semi-final are not on sunday nights at 9 pm like the final!!

so basically if we win against france not only will we probably be playing stronger teams in the knockouts, the games will also be on sunday nights!!!

nah **** sunday night knockout games. worst scheduling ever.

JBH001

International Regular
For the statistically inclined, they've won the last 23 matches they've played at Eden Park and not lost there since 1994: Rugby Union - ESPN Scrum - Statsguru - Test matches - Team records
Yeah, it is a pretty good record, although I'm not sure how much that means when it comes to WC knock-out games. That said, even our loss in 1994 was due to sensational play by France who won with that "try from the end of the earth". It was beautiful, beautiful rugby and everyone in the ground stood up to applaud it.

1994 France vs New Zealand : Try from the End of the World - YouTube

If we lose to something like that, again, I don't think I'd have any complaints.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, it is a pretty good record, although I'm not sure how much that means when it comes to WC knock-out games. That said, even our loss in 1994 was due to sensational play by France who won with that "try from the end of the earth". It was beautiful, beautiful rugby and everyone in the ground stood up to applaud it.

1994 France vs New Zealand : Try from the End of the World - YouTube

If we lose to something like that, again, I don't think I'd have any complaints.
That was spectacular!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The All Blacks record at Eden Park shows a great deal of promise for our title hopes.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the venue. I remember about 10 years ago before a game at Carisbrook, the media couldn't stop talking about how Australia hadn't beaten New Zealand there since the 1970's. Australia won easily.

I think the Eden park record is more down to a bit of good luck with the scheduling (New Zealand often playing the weaker of their tri-nations rivals at Eden) than the ground itself offering a significant advantage. Still, if it gives the players confidence, that can't be a bad thing.

centurymaker

International Captain
Ireland v Wales 50/50
England v France - 70/30

South Africa v Australia 60/40
New Zealand v Argentina 95/5

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wales
England
Aus
NZ

Wales have been impressive all WC and look a good outside bet to reach their first WC final. Think Aus with Beale and Pocock fit will be too much for South Africa, especially with Frans Steyn gone. England France could be the cripple fight. NZ even without Carter should find a severely injury hit Argie side not much trouble. Roll on next week. :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a bit of a shame we don't get to see any games between sides who don't face off often until the final. Great from an Irish perspective, although I don't know if I could take losing a World Cup semi-final to England..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Decided to cough up for a ticket to the NZ-Argentina game. In the cheap(ish) seats, so I hope the weather's better on Sunday than it is today. :unsure: