• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stage - General Discussion

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well played France, thoroughly deserved. England were poor and got what has been coming. As for France, well the Jekyll and Hyde team strike again. God knows which one will turn up next week?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He may well be the one to break the line, he's certainly better at the crash ball type work than the other Welsh backs, but Shane Williams can make any small gap in the opposition defense look huge and Jonathan Davies looked bloody good too. I don't think the Welsh are going to throw all their attack through the one guy. I honestly don't. Yeah, he's a top player for them, but they do have some other attacking flair out there.

Tuilagi wasn't at his best today, but he has that X Factor that's talked about so often, and he'll come back better for the experience.

Loving Brumbles little semi-whinge about the source of some of the Welsh players too. ;)
Was Jonathan Davies really that good? I barely noticed his impact besides his try TBH. Roberts for me set up a lot of their go-forward and was the best Welsh player on the park. Shane Williams for me has tended to disappoint in his matches against NZ so I probably haven't rated him as highly as I should, but his impact today was admittedly very good. Their big halfback Phillips also was extremely good and his try was very well taken.

I actually thought Tuilagi played well all things considered. At times he looked like the only English player interested in attacking the line, and his powerful running style did cause some problems for the French - unfortunately he had so little support when he did create a semi-break of the line that it eventuated to little.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
For the other side of the draw - Aussie must be the favourite if they can get by SA and can avoid injuries. I don't fancy a NZ side minus Dan Carter. With him in place we lost the bledisloe to Aussie. Without him we lost to SA in the tri nations. I don't see good things ahead for NZ.
I think Australia would cause New Zealand more problems than SA in a semi-final situation, but I definitely wouldn't go so far as to call Australia favourites. Remember that the losses to Australia and SA this year were without a number of key players in SA, and after a disjointed squad meet-up in Australia without Kaino and having to cope with Read/Thompson's early injuries. And Australia played brilliantly at home for the first 40 minutes. Whether they can repeat that in New Zealand, at Eden Park, in a World Cup remains to be seen. Australia's side for the Bledisloe also looked very settled; they've got a better looking side for their QF tomorrow than the side used against the Russians/Irish, but I certainly don't think they're in as good a shape as they were during the Tri-Nations.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather have Carter than Read and Kaino combined.
The difference between those players and their respective replacements is not on the same level. Vito for example is a handy player. Slade is not handy. I would go so far as to say that he is would be among the weaker 1st 5s in the tournament - certainly amongst the quarterfinal teams anyway.
I think Aussie would have given us a good go even with Carter - in terms of their team being unsettled - they seem to have most of their key players according to this

Australia team to play South Africa:
Front row 1/2/3: Kepu / Moore / Alexander
Second row 4/5: Horwill / Vickerman
Back row 6/8/7: Elsom / Samo / Pocock
Half-backs 9/10: Genia / Cooper
Centres 12/13: McCabe / Ashley-Cooper
Wings 11/14: Ioane / O’Connor
Fullback 15: Beale

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And you didn't mention North either who is a big boy. And they can't just pass it to him all day long agreed.

Do you at least agree he is one of the very top midfielders in the tournament? And if not who apart from Nonu do you rate ahead of him.
Yeah, I don't disagree with this, just the he's the only bright light in their back line thing which I was disagreeing with. He's certainly up there as one of the best midfielders out there. Probably the best Northern Hemisphere one with the combination of skill and form.

I thought North was fairly quiet last night, but his time will surely come. Shane Williams was superb under the high ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The Wellington weather has really turned it on today. Should provide a helping hand to the aussies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that was the anticipated weather in Wellington for today, so the Wallabies will certainly be happy to see the sun shining. Great day in Auckland too FTR.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have changed my attitude for this world cup. Usually I like to have a good contest put up by the opposition and like Somerset want a "good final".

This year I just want to win - i will not be secretly pleased when Australia scores a try against us. Or when Argentina gets a penalty I just wanted W's.

Quaggas

State Captain
Gutted for Ireland though Wales are one of my favorite non-African sides. Surprised at the England-France result, tbh.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If I had a VCR I would tape this - on the edge of my seat already - want to know where Ripper is watching the game.