Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Knockout Stage - General Discussion

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    fantastic match and result (in the end).

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Hardly a perfect victory but you can't say no to a 23 point win in a World Cup QF. The worry for me is that Argentina really competed at the breakdown and although they ended up conceeding a number of penalties from it, they were ultimately successful in slowing down the ABs' ball for 65 minutes. If Pocock and co. are able to do the same, then with a better attacking side in the form of Australia they'll have hope that they can subdue the ABs.

Thought Cruden played particularly well for someone who wouldn't have played a professional match since the ITM Cup final more than a month ago. Even before Slade's injury he looked nervous and fragile. Cruden looked confident and his combinations with Weepu and Nonu in particular worked well. If hes to start at 10 ahead of Slade I wouldn't complain (although would still prefer Weepu at 10 if I had the choice).

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I like Cooper as well.
    Hey hey hey, you leave him alone. He's our **** five eight now.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Pocock was superb at the breakdown against the Yarps, but got away with blue murder. His hand was on that ball so many times and Bryce Lawrence didn't pick up on any of 'em. Turnovers on the Yarp goal line and on the Aussie goal line executed with the perfect combination of guts and cynicism. Gotta hope the ref for the SF will be a bit more alive at the breakdown than Lawrence. All I ask for is a balanced refereeing display, and Lawrence didn't give that IMO. Easily cost the Saffers the 3 points they would have needed for a win.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Pocock was superb at the breakdown against the Yarps, but got away with blue murder. His hand was on that ball so many times and Bryce Lawrence didn't pick up on any of 'em. Turnovers on the Yarp goal line and on the Aussie goal line executed with the perfect combination of guts and cynicism. Gotta hope the ref for the SF will be a bit more alive at the breakdown than Lawrence. All I ask for is a balanced refereeing display, and Lawrence didn't give that IMO. Easily cost the Saffers the 3 points they would have needed for a win.
    Perhaps the referee can just let he and McCaw do as they please then? The latter has a long head start in that regard.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Perhaps the referee can just let he and McCaw do as they please then? The latter has a long head start in that regard.
    Well, it's an interesting point. I thought Pocock was a lot more obvious with his indiscretions than McCaw... But then McCaw has a good 80 more test matches under his belt than Pocock. I also think McCaw's not in great form anyway, so Pocock is probably the better player right now. As long as the refereeing is equal and the glaring infringements are picked up, I'm happy. I don't think the Boks were rewarded with a balanced refereering display yesterday - that bleedin' obvious hand on the Bok ball on the Aussie try line should have given the Saffers the penalty they needed, for example.

That said, I'd rather the Aussies get up than the Boks.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Thought Cruden played particularly well for someone who wouldn't have played a professional match since the ITM Cup final more than a month ago. Even before Slade's injury he looked nervous and fragile. Cruden looked confident and his combinations with Weepu and Nonu in particular worked well. If hes to start at 10 ahead of Slade I wouldn't complain.
    Absolutely agree. Cruden really impressed me last night.

I hope SBW doesn't start on the wing again any time soon. He was pretty shaky under the high ball.

Full credit to Argentina. That was a monumental effort from them. Their defence was massive, particularly in that first half, and we were pretty quiet in the stands for a while there.

Poor old Ledesma - looked like he was shedding a few tears when he was subbed off. His final game in an illustrious career for Los Pumas.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Well, it's an interesting point. I thought Pocock was a lot more obvious with his indiscretions than McCaw... But then McCaw has a good 80 more test matches under his belt than Pocock. I also think McCaw's not in great form anyway, so Pocock is probably the better player right now. As long as the refereeing is equal and the glaring infringements are picked up, I'm happy. I don't think the Boks were rewarded with a balanced refereering display yesterday - that bleedin' obvious hand on the Bok ball on the Aussie try line should have given the Saffers the penalty they needed, for example.

That said, I'd rather the Aussies get up than the Boks.
    I don't disagree with you. Australia was fortunate to get up yesterday. Really their defence was insanely good.

Reports here saying Beale in massive doubt for the semi with his hamstring.

I don't disagree with you. Australia was fortunate to get up yesterday. Really their defence was insanely good.

And a lot of that defensive work was by Pocock, but also Horwell (have I spelt that right? not sure)

Beale will be a big loss if he's out. Dirty, dirty mo or not, he knows how to break a defensive line apart.

"Openside flankers in pushing the boundaries shock!"

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    "Openside flankers in pushing the boundaries shock!"
    Indeed!

Is the final in Auckland as well, btw?

Indeed!

Is the final in Auckland as well, btw?
    Yep. All remaining games are at Eden Park.

Beale freaks the hell out of me, such a dangerous open field runner. Would be a massive leg-up to the Blacks if he is ruled out.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Beale freaks the hell out of me, such a dangerous open field runner. Would be a massive leg-up to the Blacks if he is ruled out.
    With the way Cooper's playing at the moment and Ioane only just returning from his injury, I don't think its unreasonable to call Beale the most dangerous and dynamic player Australia have. I actually think it'd be a shame if hes ruled out though it'd certainly assist the ABs.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread Information