Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Barnes needs to play with, ideally, AAC outside him. He should slot in at 12 and inter-change, IMO, with Cooper at 1st 5. The real issue though is the Australian forwards, Pocock has to return and enough has to be done for parity with the South African forwards. Frankly, I am doubtful that I will see this happening.

Australia had best pray that Italy pulls off an upset against Ireland.
    I agree - Pocock's influence to this Australian side is vital, as is Ioane's. I don't have a problem with Barnes starting at 12 (I think both McCabe and Anthony Fa'ainga are pretty average centes so he doesn't exactly have much competition) although I've been saying for a while that JOC would be better utilised at 12 than his wing spot. When Ioane's back I'd start JOC at 12, with AAC at 13, and Mitchell and Ioane on the wing.

Brilliant scrummaging from Italy tonight against the US, unfortunately almost all other aspects of their game were pretty poor; I think Ireland will match them up front so I'm really struggling to see possible areas that the Italians could exploit. Personally I'd still like to see a NZ vs Australia final so I'll be hoping Italy do pull off a miracle win against the Irish, although I certainly wouldn't bet on it happening.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Without having seen it, I wouldn't pay much attention to the Italian scrum's performance in that particular game. The US have been beyond a joke at set pieces all tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Without having seen it, I wouldn't pay much attention to the Italian scrum's performance in that particular game. The US have been beyond a joke at set pieces all tournament.
    Oh of course, Italy's dominance has to be taken with the mindset that the US have constantly struggled with the scrum throughout the tournament. But its certainly not the first time Italy have come through matches, even against the very top tier of nations, and impressed with their scrummaging.

Very interesting line-up for Australia for their match against Russia - Samo on the wing, no reserve backs except for two half-backs (!) as well as two hookers on the bench. I remember New Zealand had a similar problem towards the end of the group stages in 2007 with Mealamu and Hayman covering flanker and lock respectively, but those issues look minor compared to the Wallabies' injury concerns at the moment.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    All part of our grand plan m'dear - all part of the plan

I hope..
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

If a 21-17 second half scoreline against Russia is part of this grand plan Ripper, then your Wallabies are certainly progressing nicely. Hope Drew Mitchell's ok, seemed to pull up badly with a hamstring injury; after the progress he made to even get to the World Cup that'd be such a shame if hes then ruled out before the knockouts.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    cheering for australia (the weaker team) in the quarter-final.

Depends a lot on how fit the likes of Beale, Ioane, Mitchell, etc are, as to whether Australia are really the 'weaker team' for their quarter final match in all likelihood against SA. Pocock seemed to come back well in the match this afternoon and he makes a massive difference to the Wallaby side. Moore and Sharpe also didn't feature in the loss to Ireland and surely both will start in the quarter final. If the Wallabies can get their best players on the park, its an even contest against the Boks IMO, who have had a tough group stage which I imagine will catch up on them at some point.

No No, SA are the definite favourites. We couldnt catch a cold at the moment - as shown by the second half vs Russia - the miugs were just too cold for us to get our hands on them.

Terrible showing in the second half. Obviously will need to be better than that to win the comp...my team for the rest of the tournament would be something like this:

15: Morahan
    14 Davies
    13 A Finger
    12 Tapuai
    11 Ioane
    10 Cooper
    9 Genia
    8 Samo
    7 Robinson
    6 Higginbotham
    5 Simmons
    4 Horwill
    3 Slipper
    2 S Finger
    1 Daley

With:
    16 Moore
    17 Alexander
    18 Sharpe
    19 Pocock
    20 Farr-Jones
    21 Mike Harris (shhh - he's aussie now)
    22 Jono Lance

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    If a 21-17 second half scoreline against Russia is part of this grand plan Ripper, then your Wallabies are certainly progressing nicely. Hope Drew Mitchell's ok, seemed to pull up badly with a hamstring injury; after the progress he made to even get to the World Cup that'd be such a shame if hes then ruled out before the knockouts.
    Mitchell going home. Confirmed.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Cheering so hard for Italy today, which right ATM is completely contrary to life in general.

I honestly am nearly happy to be on the side of the draw with NZ and SA - you've got to beat everyone to win the cup eventually so why not these two straight up - that is of course if NZ get past ARG

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    I honestly am nearly happy to be on the side of the draw with NZ and SA - you've got to beat everyone to win the cup eventually so why not these two straight up - that is of course if NZ get past ARG
    I can see that point of view, but I'd also argue that you want the best teams in the final - as it stands the semi final between New Zealand and SA/Australia is going to trump the final in terms of the quality of the sides. SA/Australia is really worthy of a semi-final, if not a final as well. I say that with due respect to the Northern Hemisphere nations on the other side of the draw, but my point is based on the way France and England have played so far, and my belief that Ireland and Wales will burn out towards the end of the competition if they make it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Mitchell going home. Confirmed.
    So too is Palu. Lachie Turner (who I'm surprised wasn't in the original squad) and Matt Hodgson replacing Mitchell and Palu respectively.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information