• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If a 21-17 second half scoreline against Russia is part of this grand plan Ripper, then your Wallabies are certainly progressing nicely. ;) Hope Drew Mitchell's ok, seemed to pull up badly with a hamstring injury; after the progress he made to even get to the World Cup that'd be such a shame if hes then ruled out before the knockouts.
Mitchell going home. Confirmed.

Burgey

Cheering so hard for Italy today, which right ATM is completely contrary to life in general.

ripper868

International Coach
I honestly am nearly happy to be on the side of the draw with NZ and SA - you've got to beat everyone to win the cup eventually so why not these two straight up - that is of course if NZ get past ARG

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly am nearly happy to be on the side of the draw with NZ and SA - you've got to beat everyone to win the cup eventually so why not these two straight up - that is of course if NZ get past ARG
I can see that point of view, but I'd also argue that you want the best teams in the final - as it stands the semi final between New Zealand and SA/Australia is going to trump the final in terms of the quality of the sides. SA/Australia is really worthy of a semi-final, if not a final as well. I say that with due respect to the Northern Hemisphere nations on the other side of the draw, but my point is based on the way France and England have played so far, and my belief that Ireland and Wales will burn out towards the end of the competition if they make it that far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even if they win today Ghiraldini's world cup will be over. Camera has him bang to rights having a wee gouge at Cian Healy's eye. Worst thing in rugby.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Ireland have found their second gear. Heaslip, Ferris & O'Brien must be close to the best set of loosies in the tournament.

_Ed_

What a try!

EDIT: Ooh, penalty try?

EDIT 2: Apparently not. Inexplicable TMO decision, that.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a try!

Heh yea, that'll be one more person who's not going to make the knock-out stages, you'd hope.

Good response from Ireland though. England would still be whinging and sulking this time tomorrow.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even if he thought Bowe wasn't denied a clear try-scoring op (which I'd disagree with), I really can't understand how he said no foul play. He was tackled early; not a shard of doubt.

Anyway, Earls nabs the bonus point for the fourth try anyway.

Ireland peaking at exactly the right time; Wales versus the Irish looks a cracker in the making. &, tbh, both would probably fancy their chances against whichever one of England or France makes in through the special needs quarter.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
What a try!

Yeh ridiculous decision. Have a strong feeling it was the same TMO that went outside the rules and denied New Zealand a try in South Africa in the Tri Nations this year.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I won't talk about how Italy are deservedly out of this WC; I'll just say that I'm 100% happy that they got hammered that way. Our farm system is completely f(expletive)ed up, teams and inept coaches trying to win games instead of developing players, even more since when (2002) we've started to fill the roster with players discarded from the other nations (15 of them now!). All they can do is to throw some big bodies around, and indeed our pack is decent enough to compete with every other nation; too bad then that our backs are unable to catch more than 2 balls in a row even at the absimally slow pace at which they can pass; not that surprising, when all they were taught is "just go in, you're bigger than them!" until they're 21. Why practice kicks? Why practice passes? Let's just go straight, we'll dominate in youth rugby! Then, on international stage, they discover that now just running straight towards the defender, who's big if not bigger than them, becomes useless, and have then to learn the basics, but's already too late by then. People have been blaming every single coach since Geoges Coste, but the truth is that the system is rotten; just like the Bangladesh cricket team, who continuosly blame their coach when the truth is that is impossible to do much with such players, so it is for the italian backs, who are technically and tactically miles behind their opponents, without any improvement in that area in the last 10 years. All of this without taking into account another certain BIG problem in Italian rugby, but about THAT one I wouldn't count that other boards are clean, so I'll not bring the point up.

Happy flight home fellas, enjoy watching the quarters yet another time from your couch.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Quite interesting how it's panned out to be Northern Hem vs Southern Hem. the 4nations teams (from 2012) vs the (arguably) top 4 teams of the 6 nations...surely we should be having a Northen vs Southern hemisphere match after the final as well!

I like the look of the leekists tbh, Warburton is a top rate player and that George North is looking the goods as well.

For the Irish i've been impressed by Tommy Bowe - never though i would be but he seems to be bending the line rather consistently - not a destroyer like an Ioane obviously but definitely a handful.

Speaking of Ioane - He's Baaaacck! :D

Cant wait for next weekend, all the matches will be crackers.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Гурин;2667567 said:
I won't talk about how Italy are deservedly out of this WC; I'll just say that I'm 100% happy that they got hammered that way. Our farm system is completely f(expletive)ed up, teams and inept coaches trying to win games instead of developing players, even more since when (2002) we've started to fill the roster with players discarded from the other nations (15 of them now!). All they can do is to throw some big bodies around, and indeed our pack is decent enough to compete with every other nation; too bad then that our backs are unable to catch more than 2 balls in a row even at the absimally slow pace at which they can pass; not that surprising, when all they were taught is "just go in, you're bigger than them!" until they're 21. Why practice kicks? Why practice passes? Let's just go straight, we'll dominate in youth rugby! Then, on international stage, they discover that now just running straight towards the defender, who's big if not bigger than them, becomes useless, and have then to learn the basics, but's already too late by then. People have been blaming every single coach since Geoges Coste, but the truth is that the system is rotten; just like the Bangladesh cricket team, who continuosly blame their coach when the truth is that is impossible to do much with such players, so it is for the italian backs, who are technically and tactically miles behind their opponents, without any improvement in that area in the last 10 years. All of this without taking into account another certain BIG problem in Italian rugby, but about THAT one I wouldn't count that other boards are clean, so I'll not bring the point up.

Happy flight home fellas, enjoy watching the quarters yet another time from your couch.
Have decided that I like you and I like your rants, Gurin.