• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

centurymaker

International Captain
another great performance :D

what happened to the ref when he randomly decided to award the 2nd french try?
terrible call

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to hear Kieran Read is expected back for the Canadian game. I'm not an Adam Thomson fan at all. Loosies of McCaw, Read & Kaino will do nicely thanks

_Ed_

Yeah, I'd like that combination as well, although I thought Thomson had an excellent game tonight.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Really top performance from the ABs, first half in particular. Had real parallels to the Tri-Nations match against Australia at Eden Park in July; big first half performance from the ABs, a slightly lower intensity in the second giving away a few tries, but as soon as the opposition scores a try the ABs hit back with one from the kick-off. In terms of giving France opportunities to score, I think this was a better all-round effort than that match against Australia - O'Connor could've kicked 3 or 4 penalties and kept the score close while France never had the opportunity to do that tonight. Dagg deservedly the MOTM but fingers crossed that injury towards the end of the game isn't too serious. Also thought the tribute to McCaw was very well done.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Confused about that 2nd French try. Didn't look as if the ref had called time on for it? Did I miss something?
He never actually called time-off; he just told France to wait while he chatted to McCaw and Woodcock. Then once he finished with that discussion he asked France if they wanted a scrum; instead of saying yes, they took a quick tap and scored a cheeky but IMO fair try.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
he should be dropped for his try celebration routine alone.
Haha, its imitating John Cena I think. Not sure what Dagg's celebration was all about though. Thought Thompson had a particularly strong performance tonight, after conceeding an early and rather cynical penalty. With his ability to cover 7 I'd imagine hes cemented his spot ahead of Vito for a place on the reserves for the knockout matches after Read returns.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also thought the tribute to McCaw was very well done.
I thought the cap he was given was hideous, but other than that; it was good.

Worried about all the injuries coming out of these games. Jane'll be fine, but Thomson didn't look in tip-top nick at the end either, and with Read only just working his way back from injury, we look short in the loose forwards.

Flem274*

123/5
Confused about that 2nd French try. Didn't look as if the ref had called time on for it? Did I miss something?
Bloody atrocious.
He never actually called time-off; he just told France to wait while he chatted to McCaw and Woodcock. Then once he finished with that discussion he asked France if they wanted a scrum; instead of saying yes, they took a quick tap and scored a cheeky but IMO fair try.
TV 3 had the biggest cry.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
TV 3 had the biggest cry.
Yeh the Sky commentators thought poorly of it too but I thought it was within the rules myself. The French caught New Zealand sleeping in anticipation of another scrum and they paid for it, end of story in my view.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I thought it was a good win but not a great one. Many of the demolition jobs we built to on the end of year tours were better, however there was some pleasing work from the forwards. The loosies had big games and Brad Thorn was more animated than he’s been in recent times. The start was poor, though, and a side like Australia probably would’ve scored with that sort of possession. Also, I lost track of the number of times we got bunched trying to go wide and a forward was isolated trying to straighten the attack. We really need to mix in the pick-and-go at times.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeh the Sky commentators thought poorly of it too but I thought it was within the rules myself. The French caught New Zealand sleeping in anticipation of another scrum and they paid for it, end of story in my view.
Don't think you can really question the French in that try but I was personally pretty shocked by the Ref not having called time off when he actually stopped the game to talk to the All Blacks.

_Ed_

Sounded like Japan were on the brink of an upset until Canada equalised with a late penalty. 23-23. Sounds like an exciting game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty heartbreaking for Japan to lead by more than a converted try with about 7 minutes to go and come away with a draw. I didn't get home until midway through the second half, looked like a good match up until that point and certainly one of the best finishes of the tournament.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
France are horrible. The trouble is, unless Tonga get another three tries and extend their lead by at least another point, they'll still go through as is.

Two half-backs at 9 & 10 clearly not working.

chalky

International Debutant
What a 1st half from Tonga but France look terrible again. I think a lot of people have been waiting for them to hit their straps in this tournament but it looks like they are just not very good.

Unlikely that France will go out though as Tonga still need to score another 3 tries and will be down a man for the 1st 8 minutes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why the **** kick this?!?!? Insanity. 8-)

Unless Canada beat NZ (pause for laughs) yer frogs are through anyway.