• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Been calling for Weepu as backup ever seen that SA defeat. Slade just simply isn't up to international rugby, even against the likes of Japan. Not that Weepu will be great at first-five but we've got no depth there at all and Weepu is at least a better goal-kicker.

Watching it here in Australia, the post match comments from the Fox Sports guys were that if Carter is out injured against any of the big teams we're done for and I agree with them completely.
Fine then - lets not debate a back up anymore. lets just count on Carter playing every game since Fox Sports says we will lose without him even if Weepu plays. So all of this is irrelevant.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Fine then - lets not debate a back up anymore. lets just count on Carter playing every game since Fox Sports says we will lose without him even if Weepu plays. So all of this is irrelevant.
You'd say this about all the key players in most of the top teams though wouldn't you. You loose your main play-maker and goal-kicker and your chances reduce in going out winners. Pretty fair comment really, especially as I think we all expect the finals to again be won through who has the best goal-kicker and forward pack.

What are your thoughts on Aaron Cruden? If Read ends up not recovering as expected, do they call in Cruden as extra cover who I understand was the pick of the first fives across the ITM Cup?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My position, and i am alone on this - is that if we want a serious plan B to Carter then we need to start that person against Canada - even if this is Cruden or Weepu.
If we don't do that then frankly I think that backup doesn't have a **** show against Australia or south africa but could fluke it against Argentina in the Quarters.
So I think at this point bringing in Cruden without giving him any round robin game starting experience is not worthwhile.

On an academic note do I think he is better than Slade - no - he may have had a good ITM cup but he lost his mojo for the hurricanes - he seems to do well in the ITM cup but hasn't figured out super 15 and looked poor for the ABs against Aussie. Also his kicking is of Slade standards for the most part.
Last ITM cup he looked awesome too.

Next year is his make it or break it year.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I don't think the Japan game told us anything about the All Blacks we didn't already know. What you see is what you get. Whether it's good enough to win the World Cup we'll soon find out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not sure the current French team are good enough to have to concern themselves with "tanking".

Canada taking it to them in the first quarter & their handling has gone to pieces.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Canada tired at the end there. Bloody good effort for most of the match.

centurymaker

International Captain
No way, not with that French goal-kicker.

My pick is 18-16 to the All Blacks next Saturday night. 6 penalty goals to Carter.
no pessimism please :p

France have now struggled against 2 minnow teams!
Japan almost beat them, while we gave the japanese a hiding (sadly) despite resting half of our team.

btw whats french fly-halfs kicking percentage?

plus the fact we'll be playing at eden park, i can't see the match being that close.
moreover, guys would be looking for revenge for the loss in 2007. they'll be fired up!!!

all blacks to win by at least 21 points. :D

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No way, not with that French goal-kicker.

My pick is 18-16 to the All Blacks next Saturday night. 6 penalty goals to Carter.
Given France's lottery selection policy, it wouldn't surprise me if Yachvili started and Parra didn't make the starting XV. I think Yachvili's rated the better halfback anyway so it looks as though New Zealand isn't the only country with a dilemma about which player to start at halfback. I think the ABs should beat France comfortably enough; but as we all know, making predictions when it comes to French sides is often a mission.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They could go Yachvilli at #9 and Parra at #10. They've ended both games with that combo.

Trinh-Duc hasn't really fired yet at fly-half.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It's not the best side France could put out. They're going to take a hiding and happily cross over to the other side of the draw.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching a replay of Tonga-Japan AWS. How the **** did the TMO miss the double movement in that first Japan try?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not the best side France could put out. They're going to take a hiding and happily cross over to the other side of the draw.
Theres a few players on the bench that I thought would start (Harinordoquy in particular) but otherwise I thought it looked like a solid enough French side. Theres an article in the Herald today that some people are outraged that France were apparently fielding a B side and they thought they were not getting value for $400+ tickets. Firstly I think France will be surprisingly competitive and challenge the ABs - I guess its not their absolute best XV but calling it a B side is unreasonable. I also think those views are a bit unfair since the ABs are doing basically the same thing - I don't think anyone knows with certainty who our best side is since theres been so much rotation over the last few matches (admittedly a few forced due to injury against Japan). Finally the argument that France are making a deliberate ploy not to win by putting Parra, a traditional halfback, at 10 is a bit rich given theres every chance New Zealand could be doing the same thing with Weepu should Carter not be able to play for whatever reason. The ABs have done something similar with Kahui, a traditional centre, playing on the wing.