• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would rather have a performer than potential.
I see the reasoning behind this but when it means Weepu at first five?
Na I'm not having a bit of it. Someone tell Slade he is the messiah and give him a blowjob and we'll be in far better stead.

Flem274*

123/5
Bit of a disappointing game. Pub atmosphere was fun though, lots of support for Japan. Went nuts when they got that intercept, and if only that pass hadn't been forward.

My Philippino mate stood up and cheered when Japan got that intercept to troll, but everyone was loving it. One of the very few times High Flyers was gun.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Slade is a useless kicker.
whenever i have watched him this season, he's missed and missed.

what happened to luke mcalister?
Went off to Europe after the 2007 WC and returned last year as a shadow of the player he used to be. He wasn't even close to selection for the WC squad. IIRC he broke ties with North Harbour halfway through our ITM Cup.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Slade is a useless kicker.
whenever i have watched him this season, he's missed and missed.

what happened to luke mcalister?
This is a lame post century maker - Can't believe you are suggesting he is the answer at 1st 5. He was horrible when they gave him a game against - was it Italy a couple of years ago. Worst number 10 in AB history.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Went off to Europe after the 2007 WC and returned last year as a shadow of the player he used to be. He wasn't even close to selection for the WC squad. IIRC he broke ties with North Harbour halfway through our ITM Cup.
omg :laugh:

we're ****ed if carter gets injured in the finals...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
His confidence is an issue but he is far and away a more talented first five than Weepu.
I see the reasoning behind this but when it means Weepu at first five?
Na I'm not having a bit of it. Someone tell Slade he is the messiah and give him a blowjob and we'll be in far better stead.
The issue is that I don't think Slade has put in a really compelling performance in an AB jersey. Hes had 20 minute cameos in which hes been reasonable though hardly exuding confidence, and the matches hes started besides the warm-up against Fiji hes been inconsistent and nervous. Weepu's a far more experienced campaigner who I personally trust a lot more than Slade. I also don't really know if Slade's a more talented first five than Weepu whos proven to possess the capacity to break a match open. BTW I'd rather have Slade than Donald - don't get me wrong - I just fail to see how he deserves a spot in the best 22 when we have an alternative in Weepu.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The issue is that I don't think Slade has put in a really compelling performance in an AB jersey. Hes had 20 minute cameos in which hes been reasonable though hardly exuding confidence, and the matches hes started besides the warm-up against Fiji hes been inconsistent and nervous. Weepu's a far more experienced campaigner who I personally trust a lot more than Slade. I also don't really know if Slade's a more talented first five than Weepu whos proven to possess the capacity to break a match open. BTW I'd rather have Slade than Donald - don't get me wrong - I just fail to see how he deserves a spot in the best 22 when we have an alternative in Weepu.
Weepu at 10 weakens cover at 9. And IMO he should never be in a position where he is meant to cover both positions.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Even though I have taken Weepu's case up - he needs to start against Canada for at least 60 minutes. otherwise Slade is the better option - how many times aside from tonight has he (Weepu) played at 10 for the ABs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Even though I have taken Weepu's case up - he needs to start against Canada for at least 60 minutes. otherwise Slade is the better option - how many times aside from tonight has he (Weepu) played at 10 for the ABs.
I think hes played enough at 10 as a substitute for the ABs, and as a starter for Wellington and the Hurricanes (in which he has more than adequate combinations with Nonu and Smith) to slot into 10 for the ABs in a pressure situation comfortably enough should he be required. I'm not sure starting against Canada is the best option since that only gives Carter a maximum of two starts before the knockout match against Argentina/Scotland.

Re: Athlai. I can see your point of view, although Weepu's primary coverage is at 9. If Carter's injured only then should he cover 10. I think hes a talented enough player with enough skill to slot into either position as a substitute. But ideally, Carter stays on the field for 240 minutes of knockout rugby after all. ;)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Been calling for Weepu as backup ever seen that SA defeat. Slade just simply isn't up to international rugby, even against the likes of Japan. Not that Weepu will be great at first-five but we've got no depth there at all and Weepu is at least a better goal-kicker.

Watching it here in Australia, the post match comments from the Fox Sports guys were that if Carter is out injured against any of the big teams we're done for and I agree with them completely.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think hes played enough at 10 as a substitute for the ABs, and as a starter for Wellington and the Hurricanes (in which he has more than adequate combinations with Nonu and Smith) to slot into 10 for the ABs in a pressure situation comfortably enough should he be required. I'm not sure starting against Canada is the best option since that only gives Carter a maximum of two starts before the knockout match against Argentina/Scotland.

Re: Athlai. I can see your point of view, although Weepu's primary coverage is at 9. If Carter's injured only then should he cover 10. I think hes a talented enough player with enough skill to slot into either position as a substitute. But ideally, Carter stays on the field for 240 minutes of knockout rugby after all. ;)
You mean a maximum of 1 start?

If your view prevails then lets basically all light a candle in our windows and bank on Carter playing every game.

I think Fox started them all in '87 - would have been less of a blow to have lost him though - was Botica our backup.