• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

ripper868

International Coach
Canada actually has the wood on Tonga - head to head they now lead 4-2. Canada also made the WC finals in 1991 (came through a pool with France, Fiji and Romania - Fiji lost all 3 games) - defeated by the AB's 29-13 at quarters.

Proud rugby nation obviously. Gun beards as well.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

Rugby needs more beards.
Think its Kleeberger with the most impressive of the beards. Excellent effort that.

Changes to the New Zealand side to face Japan, with Carter, McCaw, Muliaina and Dagg all injured, as well as Read obviously. Toeava now in at fullback and Thomson covering McCaw's openside position with Vito now at 8.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty gutted for Japan, thought they showed some real ability in the first ten minutes.

And then the next thirty minutes happened :laugh:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame to see the Japanese exposed on defense late in the half. They actually looked pretty enterprising for the first 15 minutes or so, but were completely dominated after that. Be nice if Slade takes more control in the second half, hes had an indifferent opening 40 minutes. Nonu the most dangerous player on the park.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nonu has had a flier. Reckon Slade has been alright in every aspect besides his place kicking, which has been atrocious.

I know we're caning Japan, but I still reckon they'd dominate Tonga from what they have shown against us in that first 15 minutes and in the beginning of the second half against France.

Hopefully we'll see them respond in a similar fashion again.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Somers - did SBW do enough to show versatility to make him a legit bench player for the big games?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeh nice that Japan pinched a try, that left winger almost had a couple in the end. Pretty pleasing performance from the ABs and at this stage anyway no injuries from the match which is always a positive at World Cups. I feel Japan let themselves down a bit by not being physical enough, although I guess thats not really their style of play. Still, after such a good showing against France it was a little disappointing they couldn't raise their game a bit more.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
@Somers - did SBW do enough to show versatility to make him a legit bench player for the big games?
Also Somers who are your wings now - is Kahui looking better than Guildford.
Well for me, Guildford should never have been picked as I was always in favour of Sivivatu. Kahui is basically a lock for a wing position in big matches. I'd actually like to see Israel Dagg used on the other wing and Muliaina at fullback as I think both players are too classy to leave out. SBW made a good showing on the wing but he was up against players a tier below him - I guess it does give me some confidence in his versatility though since he performed exceptionally in his 30 minutes or so. As for Jane, he seems to have really fallen off the pace this season; play doesn't seem to run his way consistently and I'm not sure hes looking for enough work off his wing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
would keep Jane - like you said he just isn't getting any opportunities. yes he isn't looking for enough work but when he does he gets tackled easily in the midfield because he lacks the bulk he is better out wide.

have never seen Dagg on the wing - and I don't think he has the gas of our other wings. Nearly as fast but not as fast.

Backs

Cowan
Carter
Nonu
Smith
Jane 14
Kahui 11
Dagg 15

Reserves
Weepu
SBW

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The commentators laid into Slade - Said that Weepu has to be the back up now etc.

What are people's views...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The commentators laid into Slade - Said that Weepu has to be the back up now etc.

What are people's views...
Have to say that I definitely agree. I don't think we can afford to carry a replacement 10 in the reserves who, frankly, no one has any real confidence in - particularly for big matches in which there will be intense pressure. At least Weepu is reliable and less prone to folding under that pressure.

By the way Dagg hasn't really played much on the wing this season but made several useful cameos on the wing for the ABs in 2010, including scoring the winning try in that dramatic match in South Africa in John Smit's 100 match, and another excellent try from a spot on the wing in Wellington against the Springboks earlier in the year.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just to create a debate I will argue in favour of Weepu.

he has been excellent for the hurricanes when called upon.

Slade looked simply horrible against SA in our loss to them. Simply overawed and lacking the skill necessary for the position.

On tonights game they showed a number of handling errors including giving up the intercept try.

Against Canada we must start Weepu to take a look at him. Carter doesn't need the practice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have to say that I definitely agree. I don't think we can afford to carry a replacement 10 in the reserves who, frankly, no one has any real confidence in - particularly for big matches in which there will be intense pressure. At least Weepu is reliable and less prone to folding under that pressure.
His confidence is an issue but he is far and away a more talented first five than Weepu.