• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland in infrastructure failure shocker.

Gives tourists a good "she'll be right" experience at least.

And I thought the opening ceremony was an absolute pile of wanky toss. Mind you, I find all opening ceremonies to be risible.
I actually really enjoyed the ceremony, rewatched it this evening since it was hard to take it all in on Friday night. Didn't drag on too long either but did a good job of showcasing New Zealand and its culture. Genius when compared to the Cricket World Cup opening ceremony anyway.

As for the infrastructure, I understand a lot of the people that were basically stranded because of the train and ferry services failing are asking for compensation on their tickets which were essentially useless in the end. With regards to the waterfront fiasco, I read in the paper that four people jumped off the wharf to avoid being crushed and had to be rescued by a police boat, and three of those people had to get to a hospital. I'm just glad my experience tonight at North Harbour was brilliant and made up for the disappointment of Friday night.

Chubb

International Regular
I missed the opening ceremony because of the trains. Brilliant atmosphere in Auckland though and I was luckier than some because I got there just before the anthems.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a shame to hear about people's bad experiences. I had no idea about any of it apart from a vague warning over the speakers at Eden Park to avoid the waterfront. So it was a bit of a shock to come home and read the negative headlines. Found it a bit sad, too, since I came home over the moon, thinking opening night had been the most awesome thing ever.

Anyway, interesting team named today for the Japan game. Surprised to see Ellis given a start, and I must say I was hoping Weepu would get the nod. And, as good as Mils has been in his career, I think Dagg should be our first-choice fullback. Otherwise fairly happy - good to see Jane and Kahui selected on the wings.

Hope Carter will be right for the France game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I would've played Slade anyway, so was surprised they had named Carter in the first place. Ellis is also a bit surprising but if theres ever a chance to give your third choice halfback a match, I guess this is the opportunity; can't see him playing any great part later in the tournament though. Bit disappointed that Dagg isn't even in the 22 after such an impact in the opening match, would've prefered if Muliana was named at fullback and Dagg on the wing/reserves.

_Ed_

So, we're underway in Whangarei - no score after eight minutes.

Surprised to read that Canada actually leads the head-to-head with Tonga - 3-2 in five matches between the two teams.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently this match was sold out yesterday, I assume that'll be in part from a number of Tongan supporters travelling up from the Auckland area but still, thats an excellent result for Whangarei.

_Ed_

That's awesome. They spent quite a bit on improving Okara Park and increasing its capacity, so it's great to see this game supported so strongly.

And Canada score first!

_Ed_

Tonga take the lead! Sounds like an exciting game. Annoyed I'm stuck at work so can't watch it.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
And Canada back again with the lead! This sounds exciting. Too bad pretty much all of Canada is sleeping right now, unaware of such a game taking place. I found out about it myself 10 minutes ago when I checked the daily google news page.

Let's go boys, let's win this!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Got to wonder how much Friday night took out of the Tongans - not to shade the Canadian performance.

_Ed_

Got to wonder how much Friday night took out of the Tongans - not to shade the Canadian performance.
Yeah, good point.

Mixed feelings about this. I love a good upset, and this is definitely one of those, but the Tongan fans have really won me over this month and I feel sorry for them.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, good point.

Mixed feelings about this. I love a good upset, and this is definitely one of those, but the Tongan fans have really won me over this month and I feel sorry for them.
What about the few Canadian fans like me, who've stayed up till 3 am to catch the action? :p