• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Canada, France, Japan, New Zealand, Tonga

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, I thought the fireworks were great.

Ok now my complaints. I thought the Queens Wharf/Quay Street gathering to watch the match on big screens, the haka, performers, etc. was a great idea on paper, but even I was questioning how they were going to fit such large crowd numbers into what is a relatively small area. I actually was wondering on the day why Aotea Square, Albert Park, or even out by Albany or Mt. Smart Stadium there weren't other big screens to disperse some of the crowd numbers. I didn't get there early enough to get into Queens Wharf - apparently the 12,000 capacity was reached by 3.20pm - and so had to settle for the action on big screens on Quay Street. I hardly saw anything from 4-5pm and with only Dave Dobyn and the Finn brothers performances before 7.30pm went to get some dinner. I returned at around 7pm and had a reasonable though not brilliant position on Quay Street. Saw most of the opening ceremony and had a good view of the fireworks over the harbour. Thought was transpired after that was absolutely ridiculous.

I don't possess the physique of SBW but I'm not what you'd call tiny. I honestly was scared with the amount of pushing and crowd movement. Almost got trampled on and nearly had my cap knocked off about three times. The AB flag I had acquired got bent in half. Seriously, at least where I was positioned, it was like a mosh pit at a concert, but from my perspective anyway far more dangerous. The cafes on Quay Street still had chairs and tables out, and glass railings. At that point (less than 5 minutes into the match) I decided that the best option was to leave the area and find a bar to watch the game in. It took about another 5 minutes to actually get off Quay Street, which involved basically getting driven into an icecream store, before being able to do so. It was an absolute joke. I really fear for the people that decided to bring children along - it was hard enough to look after myself so for parents with younger children to care for, I can't imagine how scary it might've been if they were in the same position as I was.

I also hear that the trains broke down and were delayed by up to an hour. Absolutely typical. All while Len Brown arrives at Eden Park via car. Speaking of cars, it was unbelievable that more roads weren't closed. I hear that people were hit by a bus, and I'm not surprised. In fact I'm a little shocked more people weren't hit by vehicles. People were walking down streets not closed off from vehicles as if they owned the place. I bet we'll be hearing of the amazing fireworks and fancy lighting show, but really I think these sorts of issues should be highlighted. Queen Street (and I assume Quay Street) were also disgusting by the end of the night - New Zealand clean and green, yeah right. Be interesting to hear what Ed has to say.

As for the match itself, I missed the opening 25 minutes (although I have the build-up and match recorded so I'll catch up eventually). Dagg looked good and went some way to confirming my prediction that he'll be one of the stars of the tournament. Thought Tonga contained us well in the second half, and I question why Taumalolo didn't start - he was very impressive after coming from the bench. Hoping that Fotuali'i can have just as big an impact in helping Samoa achieve some good results throughout the tournament.
Sorry for this Somers. In Vancouver there was a riot after Vancouver lost the Stanley cup do you fear for any unrest if New Zealand lose the final (or win it)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
On the Nonu try I was in love with the way he (Nonu) in the build up drew a player by jinking to the left before passing to the right. Just a simple play but he did it so well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Auckland in infrastructure failure shocker.

Gives tourists a good "she'll be right" experience at least.

And I thought the opening ceremony was an absolute pile of wanky toss. Mind you, I find all opening ceremonies to be risible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Early signs are that it'll be a long day at the office for Japan. French cutting through them at will currently.

Fair few ringers for the Brave Blossoms tho; amusing how a NZder called James Arlidge who plays for Nottingham up here ends up in their national side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think with all international sports only 30% of your team should be foreign born - otherwise you get situations like the Canadian cricket team where everyone grew up in India.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think with all international sports only 30% of your team should be foreign born - otherwise you get situations like the Canadian cricket team where everyone grew up in India.
Agree it does get farcical sometimes (GB won the ice hockey gold in the 1936 Olympics with a team composed entirely of Canadian born or raised players with Brit parents or grandparents) but "foreign born" is too blunt a tool to measure IMHO.

Andrew Mehrtens was born in SA, after all and it'd be madness to say he wasn't a Kiwi.

I think upbringing is more important than birth.

Man, the Japanese look tiny in the line out. It's like a "masters v pupils" games.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not impressed with Arlidge's play making skills - he carries the ball to the line and then gives a pass to the guy next to him instants before that guy is tackled.

He is trying too hard to make it happen himself instead of shovelling it on to his centres.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This world cup is starting to exceed my expectations. The passion in the games is better than normal test matches.

ripper868

International Coach
have just caught some highlight vids - good to see the nips, namibia and Romania all giving good accounts of themselves - scorelines all blew out a little in the end but great to see them being competitive.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Great game to attend, Japan really turned it up in the second half and had the French stretched. Had they been able to score another try at 25-21, I think France would've completely freaked. Very impressed with the Japanese efforts and after a slow start Arlidge really ran the show along with the little halfback. North Harbour Stadium had a great atmosphere too, with most of the New Zealand neutral supporters seeming to cheer for Japan. Really enjoyed the evening.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
have just caught some highlight vids - good to see the nips, namibia and Romania all giving good accounts of themselves - scorelines all blew out a little in the end but great to see them being competitive.
Absolutely, the scoreline tonight in particular really doesn't give enough credit to the Japanese performance - it was comfortably the best I've ever seen them play. I wonder if thats a result of their involvement in the Pacific Nations Cup, where they've played the likes of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa much more regularly and become more tactically astute and hardened to face top teams.