• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby world cup fever

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Watched Invictus last night which got me in the mood for the rugby world cup. I made a post about this earlier but can't find it.

Here are the groups

Group A
New Zealand
France
Tonga
Canada
Japan

Group B
Argentina
England
Scotland
Georgia
Romania

Group C

Australia
Ireland
Italy
Russia
United States

Group D

South Africa
Wales
Fiji
Samoa
Namibia

Winner Pool C
vs
Runner-up Pool D

Winner Pool B
vs
Runner-up Pool A

Winner Pool D
vs
Runner-up Pool C

Winner Pool A
vs
Runner-up Pool B

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Group D looks a cracker. On their days either Fiji or Samoa could knock off the leekists and I'd imagine both will be backed by good sized ex-pat and 1st generation supporters in NZ. Not to mention the "neutrals".

If we win Group B (and we should on current form) looks like we'll probably get les bleus. Tricky.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expect the Auckland Rugby World Cup will be a massive let down. Already annoyed that they've reduced the NPC season to accommodate this.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh good, we get to send the Sweaty Socks home early before we inevitably beat the French to reach another semi.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Very much looking forward to the WC given it'll be the first one I'll get to watch in NZ, not having been born when we won the tournament in 87'. I studied the groups a few months ago and it was quite clear that group D was the toughest of the pools. At the time I remember thinking that would actually benefit the South Africans having tougher non-3N/6N opposition in the form of Samoa and Fiji than, say, New Zealand, who have the weaker Tongans and Canadians as the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in their pool.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I remember after the last world cup there was talk about including Argentina in the tri nations. But here we are 4 years later and there is nothing definite in the pipeline. Hope they go well again.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
To be completely honest, I couldn't care less what colour England's away kit is; black, pink, green, whatever. Obviously I'm fully aware of the tradition behind the AB jersey but that shouldn't give the All Blacks an exclusive right to that colour jersey. Either way England would only need the alternate jersey if they face another team playing in white, and unless they're forced to change against Argentina, or in some unlikely scenario face Fiji, thats not going to eventuate.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we're being ****s over it, tbh. The RFU does have form in this regard.

Being ****s, I mean, not stealing other countries' iconic kits. We usually just steal their players. :cool:

EyeThangEwe. I'm here all week.Try the chicken Kiev. Now here's the lovely Debbie on the spoons. Take it away Debs... :ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's probably fair. About a quarter of their team are Kiwis these days, so the all black would probably be the next most apt colour after the lillywhite.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
To be completely honest, I couldn't care less what colour England's away kit is; black, pink, green, whatever. Obviously I'm fully aware of the tradition behind the AB jersey but that shouldn't give the All Blacks an exclusive right to that colour jersey. Either way England would only need the alternate jersey if they face another team playing in white, and unless they're forced to change against Argentina, or in some unlikely scenario face Fiji, thats not going to eventuate.
Each game is considered to be on neutral territory. So technically they could wear it against Aussie if they so chose.

But honestly you are the only person who has pointed that they should be wearing white in the majority of their games - the media is trying to drum this up and it was on the front page of the Dominion Post today.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Each game is considered to be on neutral territory. So technically they could wear it against Aussie if they so chose.

But honestly you are the only person who has pointed that they should be wearing white in the majority of their games - the media is trying to drum this up and it was on the front page of the Dominion Post today.
Haha, yes they could wear it against Australia, but that'd just be farcical - although then again NZ teams in Super Rugby seem to have a habit of wearing alternate strips away from home for the sake of it. I've heard on the news that its likely England will wear the alternate strip against Argentina, which makes sense given the clash of all white against white and pale blue. As I mentioned above though, I have no problem with them using black; it certainly won't clash with the Pumas' kit and IMO New Zealanders getting wound up over it are being a bit precious.