Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rugby world cup fever

Is this a good time to bring up the chap whose tattoo celebrates both the 2007 and 2011 All Blacks victories?

Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    That's the spirit!
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Quaggas - Rugby Union Sim see this thread and sign up if you are interested need a front row.
    Ok, as long as I do have to download any software.... what's involved?

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    No software to download - I think HeathDavis just does all the work for us. We just check the thread from time to time to see what happened.

Click on the link and sign up - just follow the instructions pick a position that no one else has picked.

Best Wishes

Hurricane
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    So I was flipping through the channels today, and I came across the Canada vs USA rugby match. I'm guessing it was a warm-up for the World Cup.

Stoked to see Canada beat the US 28-22. That in itself is the World Cup for me.

Anyway, it's the first time I've actually watched a live rugby match for longer than 10 minutes. Still trying to understand the game in its entirety. Seems like a decent sport, there'd perhaps be more interest here if Canada were any good, which I'm not sure if they are or not (one of you rugby junkies to confirm). But it's all good, as long as we beat the US consistently.

Also, seems like rugby is quite similar to cricket in that only a handful of nations are any good at it or follow it religiously.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 06-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Canada has a good grass roots following of the game in BC - unlike Cricket it is played by people born in Canada as opposed to ex pats from other countries - I think Canada is ranked about 13th or 14th in the world.

Yes their arch rivals are the US and Canada normally wins.

I would like to see rugby take off in Canada more than cricket - as there is more potential for it.

Yep, there are only about 10 seriously rugby-following countries in the world. And three and half of them are this country.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Yeah, I remember my high school being one of the few to have a Rugby team. But it was never really popular compared to a lot of the other sports. I see most of the national team consists of players from BC and the Toronto area. A couple of players seem to be from Europe as well.

I think I'm going to give Rugby a chance here and give it a watch during the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Yep, there are only about 10 seriously rugby-following countries in the world. And three and half of them are this country.
    name your 10 out of interest...

Well the 3 1/2 he refers to are Wales Ireland and Scotland, with 1/2 being England Ph34r

PS: Men's rugby in the US is only seriously played at Berkeley.

World rankings at International Rugby Board - World Rankings: Full world rankings
    Last edited by Quaggas; 06-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.

I can count about 8 teams - then there are others I am not sure about
    Is the game followed in Argentina - probably not but I have met an Argentinian fan before so maybe...

I seem to remember there being a big, noisy crowd when the ABs played in Argentina once. But I might be imagining that.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I can count about 8 teams - then there are others I am not sure about
    Is the game followed in Argentina - probably not but I have met an Argentinian fan before so maybe...
    Home nations: 4, Tri-Nations: 3, Pacific Islands: 3 plus France, Argentina & Italy(ish).

It's surprisingly sizeable in Japan, but this isn't reflected in their ever-poor national side.

Canada actually made the world cup Quarter-Finals in 1991, thanks to wins over Fiji and Romania.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

It appears I've got a good dose of the thread title - I just felt compelled to cough up the healthy sum of money for a ticket to the NZ v Tonga game. Really looking forward to it.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    It appears I've got a good dose of the thread title - I just felt compelled to cough up the healthy sum of money for a ticket to the NZ v Tonga game. Really looking forward to it.
    What price is the cheapest ticket still available for that match? I have tickets for a few of the games at North Harbour for pretty reasonable prices.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information