• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby world cup fever

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Massive shock, although the Samoan side did look a good one with several players featuring in Super Rugby this year. Would love to see them produce something similar in the World Cup against a more fancied nation.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Massive shock, although the Samoan side did look a good one with several players featuring in Super Rugby this year. Would love to see them produce something similar in the World Cup against a more fancied nation.
Why is Australia not a fancied nation? they must be in the top 3 to win it all

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Australia not a fancied nation? they must be in the top 3 to win it all
Sorry didn't word my post very well at all; Australia's definitely a fancied nation. Meant to say that I'm hoping they can get a similar result against one of the better sides (Australia included) at RWC.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great result for rugby. Hopefully secure them a few more games v some of the foundation unions.

Good signs for the WC too; few Welsh eyebrows will have been raised at the result, I imagine. Samoa have won both their previous WC clashes with the leekists.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd personally like to see a combined Pacific team added to the Tri Nations. Hopefully this could give that a chance.

ripper868

International Coach
Argentina enters the competition next year so will be 4 nations.

Fantastic result for Samoa today and full credit to them, thoroughly enjoyed watching them destroy us at every breakdown and then belt us in defense. Rod Davies will be one sore boy tonight. Tuilagi is just massive. How long is he contracted to Leicester for? If Digby leaves the Reds for the Yen then Tuilagi would make a great replacement (international import signing) - the Reds backs coach has coached him before as well.

Was also good to see the class of Genia and Beale on show - thye come on and all of a sudden they start breaking the line. Higginbothams chip and chase and flick to Giteau was also a moment of magic.

Looking a bit shaky though if that is our genuine B side, think most played themselves out of positions rather than into them - our depth not as genuine as one would hope.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Argentina enters the competition next year so will be 4 nations.

Fantastic result for Samoa today and full credit to them, thoroughly enjoyed watching them destroy us at every breakdown and then belt us in defense. Rod Davies will be one sore boy tonight. Tuilagi is just massive. How long is he contracted to Leicester for? If Digby leaves the Reds for the Yen then Tuilagi would make a great replacement (international import signing) - the Reds backs coach has coached him before as well.

Was also good to see the class of Genia and Beale on show - thye come on and all of a sudden they start breaking the line. Higginbothams chip and chase and flick to Giteau was also a moment of magic.

Looking a bit shaky though if that is our genuine B side, think most played themselves out of positions rather than into them - our depth not as genuine as one would hope.
Dunno exactly, but he's been at the Tigers since god was a lad. Welford Road is the Tuilagis' spiritual home. Aside from Alex, Henry, Andy & Freddie have all played for the Tigers and Manu is on their books currently.

Manu's in England's provisional WC squad... :whistling

Manu's a tank as well and a little tasty too.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah have seen that hit on Ashton, certainly didn't miss him.

Just watched a couple of other Tuilagi videos - it's just not fair. One clip has Aleasana running straight at a halfback. That was never going to end well.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'd personally like to see a combined Pacific team added to the Tri Nations. Hopefully this could give that a chance.
Yes, because the last Pacific team was a roaring success financially. Are they still looking for the missing $100,000?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry didn't word my post very well at all; Australia's definitely a fancied nation. Meant to say that I'm hoping they can get a similar result against one of the better sides (Australia included) at RWC.
Fancy them to beat the Welsh, who look in awful shape but Fiji beat Samoa a week ago or so and said Fiji side then lost to Japan. Their group D opponents, South Africa usually match up well against Island sides, can match them physically and more often than not, they beat them by just executing the basics better.

It was a great result for Samoa however it was a second string Aus side (who is Nick Phipps?) and an Aus side that approached the game like it was a Super 15 fixture. Hospital passers thrown all over the shop while their forwards were complete powderpuff - Higginbotham did a Pierre Spies and spent most of the time when he was on hanging out with the backs while the likes of Elsom and Gits are simply there on rep. Should be a different kettle of fish next week but Deans does have a shocking record as Aus coach. Losses to Scotland, Munster and now Samoa, at home, he can’t afford to get turned over by a 3rd string Bok side next week.

ripper868

International Coach
Phipps is the Melbourne Rebels halfback - was their player of the year IIRC.

I thought Higginbotham played well given his opportunities - he is there to be a runner and linebreaker - he showed his skills in setting up Giteau and again with his grubber and chase into the corner. The issue was the tight 5 did jack all work in the forwards - which meant the flankers couldn't do their jobs as pilferers. Timani is a joke - waste of space selection that was. Vickerman looked to be the only forward who enjoyed contact and the Props did bugger all around the park (or at scrumtime).

Again though, full credit to Samoa, they beat us in every facet of play and will be a real handful come world cup if they continue to play with that amount of commitment.

EddieM

Cricket Spectator
Really can't wait for this :D

When does it start? I know its later this year but not sure on when exactly.

Howe_zat

Audio File
just seen this - Woo subforum :D

Much less into rugby than cricket, but I'm an absolute sucker for the World Cup.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In 1986 we lost the Bledisloe and won the world cup in 1987. Some people feel we are going against history if we win against Aussie on Saturday night. Looking forward to the game to see the Aussie backs in action - and might cheer for Aussie.

ripper868

International Coach
Nah, you blokes will smoke us - you'll win every trophy available to you this year. Wallabies have no chance.