• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Big Game - Who Will Win

who will win?

• NZ

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They may have a boost over Oz for beating them recently, but the knock-out stages are one game only, and all that matters is who wins on the day.

Would you from this stage take NZ being played off the park twice, but winning?

At this stage, for me, it goes beyond talent and prior results.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure there's a chance that Australia can win, i've never written them off.

But how can you say that talent is not a factor from here on in? these matches decide the men from the boys & as far as im concerned NZ outclass Australia all over the park except for George Smith.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I was thinking in the earlier stages of the World Cup that Aussie would take it out. Just because it was wide open with favourites England showing they perhaps peaked too early, and Aussies know how to win and just always bloody do...

But Aussie has struggle against Scotland and Ireland also, NZ looked fairly strong against SA, so on form, I'll go with NZ... and to win the World Cup. But if it doesn't happen it won't be a great surprise, theres always doubts with NZ in all sports...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I never said talent wasn't a factor, but I did say the winning from here goes beyond merely the most talented.

Any of the 4 teams could win it, and I wouldn't like to suggest who will.

PY

International Coach
If we're talking about the tournament then I'd probably go for France......saw them against Ireland and they were awesome. I dislike the French intensely as a team but they looked like they were peaking at the right time.

:(

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the French will win it, as for their opponent i think alot depends on how the aussie attack goes, it has obviously been a bit hit and miss so far this world cup but there defence has been pretty solid conceeding only 1 try(from memory, could be wrong) so i think if the attack gets going then Australia will win, if not then the AB's will get home, but as for the final, unless i see something majorly different from the last couple of weeks the WC will be on its way to France...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And why not England v Australia - one of the oldest rivalries in sport?

Or France v Australia - a team every Englishmen wants to lose against a team every Englishmen wants to lose?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Australia v England. Lots of beer. Even more swearing. Lots of penalties.

And Australia 15-14.
*points out to Neil that for this to be the case, Wilkinson either misses a lot of penalties or a conversion, neither of which are very likely *

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
*points out to Neil that for this to be the case, Wilkinson either misses a lot of penalties or a conversion, neither of which are very likely *
The try was in the corner and there was a sudden 73mph crosswind gust.

And most of the penalties are given in un-kickable positions..

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm picking Australia to win due to the fact that they always beat us when it comes down to the important games.

Only a fool underestimates Australia.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
James raises what i think is the big point...

Everytime Australia have been underestimated they always rise to the occasion...

James

Cricket Web Owner
Exactly Blewy.

Seems as though everyone has written Australian off completely - at least in New Zealand anyway.

Wait and see time I guess... not long now...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
err isn't that what Australia do when we face them in the cricket? so why can't we expect to beat Australia in the rugby?

Cloete

International Captain
Tim said:
err isn't that what Australia do when we face them in the cricket? so why can't we expect to beat Australia in the rugby?
well you have every reason to.... but the point is the number of times australia get up and win these games is amazing. not saying they're gonna win this one though. also when New Zealand toured over here they gave australia the same sort of treatment, australia were expected to beat them comfortably but thanks mainly to Fleming New Zealand got over the line with their brains and hearts rather than on natural talent, the same may happen here.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Current odds to win the WC:

NZ 11/10
Eng 2/1
Fra 4/1
Aus 7/1

Methinks that 7-1 is massive and will be taking a piece of that!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Australia don't have a chance...how the hell were they 9-9 with Scotland after more than 50 minutes?
Don't you just hate it when comments turn round and make you look a tad silly?

Like I said, the past games had no bearing on today, and my 7-1 Australia to win the thing looks a lot nicer...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
But how can you say that talent is not a factor from here on in? these matches decide the men from the boys & as far as im concerned NZ outclass Australia all over the park except for George Smith.
And in defence, Australia out-classed NZ here. A great show of determinated defence, a bit like when England won in NZ earlier this year. After that game, I seem to remember Campese had a few things to say about England relying on kicking...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah go home all you kiwis, we beat you fair and square.

You guys are so pathetic, what with your haka and all.:) :saint: