• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes a good #7 in ODIs?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil is definitely a better #7 than Imran for ODIs.
Tend to agree with this. Then Imran probably is the best #8 for ODIs too. However Pollock and Hadlee have claims there.

If you consider #7, I don't think Kapil is the best player to play #7. He has competition from likes of Klusener or Afridi.

subshakerz

International Coach
Kapil is definitely a better #7 than Imran for ODIs.
Depends totally on the lineup. A weaker batting lineup or a weak tail would need someone more solid like Imran than a hitter like Kapil.

Overall though, Imran is a better allrounder for me.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Tend to agree with this. Then Imran probably is the best #8 for ODIs too. However Pollock and Hadlee have claims there.

If you consider #7, I don't think Kapil is the best player to play #7. He has competition from likes of Klusener or Afridi.
Imran is a better quality bat than Kapil, just slower but more solid, so no.8 doesn't make sense.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the normal ODI team, even WC winners, aren't going to have an ATG batsman like Hussey or Bevan at #7.

Generally your allrounder or keeper bat there and they're either a strike feeder or they boof it. To get a good one, I'd take note of guys who bat top 4 in domestic one dayers at least sometimes. At some point they're going to rescue a collapse and can always expect to face a few world class death bowlers in the World Cup so they need to have done more than beat up domestic death bowlers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the normal ODI team, even WC winners, aren't going to have an ATG batsman like Hussey or Bevan at #7.

Generally your allrounder or keeper bat there and they're either a strike feeder or they boof it. To get a good one, I'd take note of guys who bat top 4 in domestic one dayers at least sometimes. At some point they're going to rescue a collapse and can always expect to face a few world class death bowlers in the World Cup so they need to have done more than beat up domestic death bowlers.
Australia had Hussey at 7 for the early part of his career and he was absolutely brilliant.

Flem274*

123/5
OK, I'll revise for the pedantic. Unless you have the greatest mens ODI side ever, you're unlikely to waste an ATG at #7.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Obviously being able to bat good is desirable, but that's not unique to no7s. I think the main unique non-batting skill no7s need is the ability to play the percentages and take smart risks, and know how to cope with the uncertainty and failure that comes with that. Off the top of my head Dhoni has done the best job of articulating this mindset (thought obvs he was more of a #6, I think a lot of the same stuff applies). This is why many otherwise brilliant middle order players have or would suck at no7, you can't bat in a bubble that late in the game.

subshakerz

International Coach
Obviously being able to bat good is desirable, but that's not unique to no7s. I think the main unique non-batting skill no7s need is the ability to play the percentages and take smart risks, and know how to cope with the uncertainty and failure that comes with that. Off the top of my head Dhoni has done the best job of articulating this mindset (thought obvs he was more of a #6, I think a lot of the same stuff applies). This is why many otherwise brilliant middle order players have or would suck at no7, you can't bat in a bubble that late in the game.
To me a number 7 would be pretty much the same batting level as a number 6.