• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was a greater series victory - India in Australia in 2021 or Sri Lanka in South Africa in 2019?

Greater Series Victory

• India in Australia 2021

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • SL in SA 2019

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

srbhkshk

International Captain
Prior to their respective series , SL maybe had 1 to 2% chance of winning whereas Ind had 30% chance of winning. This is why I consider SL achievement better.
That makes it a more unlikely achievement, not a better achievement. Netherlands defeating SA was perhaps less likely than England winning the whole T20 WC but the English achievement is still better.

On the topic I think it's hard to recreate the story of India's win down under with the questions over their previous series win and 2/3rds of the main team going down at various points in the series leading to an eventual bowling attack of combined ~10 or so international wickets which then went toe to toe with an attack of Cummins , Hazlewood , Starc and Lyon - all of whom are great bowlers in their on right. Sri Lanka's win was amazing in it's own right and Perera's inning one of the greatest of all time - but SA definitely weren't on Australia's level and the fact that it was only two matches on what were really low scoring pitches also made it somewhat flukier than India's.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prior to their respective series , SL maybe had 1 to 2% chance of winning whereas Ind had 30% chance of winning. This is why I consider SL achievement better.
Tbf, at the beginning of the Gabba test, India's chances must've been in the negative. Impossible to overstate the humongous gulf between the two bowling attacks.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Bangladesh had ~0% chance of a 1-1 result. Two washouts were a much more likely way to get a drawn series there.
All of IND, PAK , SL have won a test series in NZ . So drawing a series in NZ is not a historical achievement for Asian team

Whereas only 1 Asian team has won test series in AUS / SA ? So this is a a very big achievement imo.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Tbf, at the beginning of the Gabba test, India's chances must've been in the negative. Impossible to overstate the humongous gulf between the two bowling attacks.
We are talking about series here . Not Gabba Test only.

If we make a combined IND/ AUS team and combined SA/SL team at the beginning of series , 5 Indian players ( Rohit, Virat , Bumrah, Pant and Jadeja ) would make it .

Whereas is there a single SL that would make combined SA /SL team for SA condition?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We are talking about series here . Not Gabba Test only.

If we make a combined IND/ AUS team and combined SA/SL team at the beginning of series , 5 Indian players ( Rohit, Virat , Bumrah, Pant and Jadeja ) would make it .

Whereas is there a single SL that would make combined SA /SL team for SA condition?
Kohli should not actually be considered here. It was known that he will play only one test.

Daemon

That makes it a more unlikely achievement, not a better achievement. Netherlands defeating SA was perhaps less likely than England winning the whole T20 WC but the English achievement is still better.

On the topic I think it's hard to recreate the story of India's win down under with the questions over their previous series win and 2/3rds of the main team going down at various points in the series leading to an eventual bowling attack of combined ~10 or so international wickets which then went toe to toe with an attack of Cummins , Hazlewood , Starc and Lyon - all of whom are great bowlers in their on right. Sri Lanka's win was amazing in it's own right and Perera's inning one of the greatest of all time - but SA definitely weren't on Australia's level and the fact that it was only two matches on what were really low scoring pitches also made it somewhat flukier than India's.
Yeah this sums up my thoughts nicely.

Both incredible wins regardless.

OverratedSanity

Yes, I can see arguments for both. We can all agree we should talk about both series more. Especially India beating Australia with net bowlers. I don't think we mention it often enough on this forum. What do you guys think?

OverratedSanity

Pant and Rohit also wouldn't have made the combined XI at the beginning of the series because they weren't even in the team. Especially Pant because he was behind Saha in the pecking order.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Pant and Rohit also wouldn't have made the combined XI at the beginning of the series because they weren't even in the team. Especially Pant because he was behind Saha in the pecking order.
That was Indian selectors being absolute garbage . They are still continuing the same mistake .

subshakerz

International Coach

India still had their full personnel except for Kohli when they won in Melbourne. Plus India has already won in Australia before that.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
I mean last year in December we were discussing whether Kohli’s side were as good as Smith’s SA side and now we are saying India beating AUS in AUS is a huge achievement when SA has beaten AUS away thrice ?