• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Virat Kohli

Who was the better captain?

• Imran Khan

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Virat Kohli

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
This intent talk is a bit useless though considering how all the intent in the world can't help you if your resources and players aren't good enough.
Yeah but how did Stokes take the same batch of losers under Root and get them to win 6 out of 7 home games?

Jayro

U19 12th Man
This intent talk is a bit useless though considering how all the intent in the world can't help you if your resources and players aren't good enough.
Spot on, you make me non playing captain of a side with the calibre of 80s - windies Or early 2000s Aussie and i will have them win most of the matches one day Or tests.

Xix2565

International Debutant
So Root would have had the same results if he was captain and not Stokes?
Root with an arguably similar/worse side in 2018 won 4-1 over India. He could've easily had a similar showing this year with his key players performing and taking advantage of the conditions.

subshakerz

International Coach
Root with an arguably similar/worse side in 2018 won 4-1 over India. He could've easily had a similar showing this year with his key players performing and taking advantage of the conditions.
Yeah except last year he was losing to India.

subshakerz

International Coach
Spot on, you make me non playing captain of a side with the calibre of 80s - windies Or early 2000s Aussie and i will have them win most of the matches one day Or tests.
Sides like Aussie 2000s and 80s WI are exceptions in that they are so good the difference of a captain is minimal. But even that minimal difference can mean a captain deciding not to follow-on in India in 2001 and not deciding to bowl first in England in 2005, both captaincy decisions of which cost series.

Any team of the same players will likely achieve around 70-80 percent of the same results regardless of captain IMO. But that remaining percentage can be the difference between a side being bottom tier versus mid-tier or mid-tier versus top-tier.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Yeah except last year he was losing to India.
And? Did you miss the point where I said player personnel and conditions matter more than what a captain does? Doesn't just apply to England though, they're not playing Tests by themselves. And same goes here for the debate between Imran and Kohli, very hard to say how much their captaincies really changed team fortunes beyond just looking at match records and seeing who won more.

subshakerz

International Coach
And? Did you miss the point where I said player personnel and conditions matter more than what a captain does? Doesn't just apply to England though, they're not playing Tests by themselves. And same goes here for the debate between Imran and Kohli, very hard to say how much their captaincies really changed team fortunes beyond just looking at match records and seeing who won more.
I think in Imrans case it is pretty clear having him as captain was transformative, because he used that role to influence selection and bring back Qadir and force Waqar and Inzi in the side. He also took the tough calls of dropping Zaheer and Majid, in Pakistan cricket oldies tend to stick around long. The Pakistan team would have looked very different if he wasn't in charge.

subshakerz

International Coach
As for this question it's really close Imran edges him on away record but Kohli home domination is insane. Imran overall slightly ahead imo
In a couple of decades, nobody will remember Kohli's home wins, but they will remember him for being the first Indian cap to win in Australia.

I think when Kohli looks back, he will kick himself for not having more under his belt though. He should have had at least one ICC trophy and 1 series win in NZ/SA/Eng given the quality team he had.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People will absolutely remember the spotless home record when they start losing at home. Why wouldn't they? It's remarkable.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I think in Imrans case it is pretty clear having him as captain was transformative, because he used that role to influence selection and bring back Qadir and force Waqar and Inzi in the side. He also took the tough calls of dropping Zaheer and Majid, in Pakistan cricket oldies tend to stick around long. The Pakistan team would have looked very different if he wasn't in charge.
Sure, but that doesn't suddenly mean those talents couldn't have made it through other means. Credit is due, but even then these things are vastly different now where everything is professional and so the captain's influence isn't necessarily so grand and vast.
In a couple of decades, nobody will remember Kohli's home wins, but they will remember him for being the first Indian cap to win in Australia.
We remember dominant home records all the ****ing time dude, nonsensical take this. Especially when they do get broken (like first X team to win a game/series in Y). I understand your love for away performance but this is really stretching it.

subshakerz

International Coach
People will absolutely remember the spotless home record when they start losing at home. Why wouldn't they? It's remarkable.
India will likely remain strong at home. They have only lost three series in the past three decades so it's not like Kohli was the one who started that, he just amped it up.

subshakerz

International Coach
Sure, but that doesn't suddenly mean those talents couldn't have made it through other means. Credit is due, but even then these things are vastly different now where everything is professional and so the captain's influence isn't necessarily so grand and vast.
Yeah now is different but we judge each captain for his time. So Imran should get credit as a teambuilder as you mentioned.

We remember dominant home records all the ****ing time dude, nonsensical take this. Especially when they do get broken (like first X team to win a game/series in Y). I understand your love for away performance but this is really stretching it.
My point was that most in the cricket fraternity are rarely going to remember those individual victories at home unless its something like 2001 against Australia when you beat a vastly better team. I think people remembering Kohli's home record depends a lot on how the team does after him. If they continue to be strong but less dominant and only lose a series a decade, I dont think it will matter as much to his legacy.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Is
Yeah now is different but we judge each captain for his time. So Imran should get credit as a teambuilder as you mentioned.

My point was that most in the cricket fraternity are rarely going to remember those individual victories at home unless its something like 2001 against Australia when you beat a vastly better team. I think people remembering Kohli's home record depends a lot on how the team does after him. If they continue to be strong but less dominant and only lose a series a decade, I dont think it will matter as much to his legacy.
Sure, but then that's merely a matter of the times they played in. So it's not much in a subjective guessing game anyway.

Define most in the cricket frat without sounding ridiculous. And then why you feel you're more representative of this than anyone else.

Kirkut

International Regular
Umesh Yadav used to bowl within himself under Dhoni, but with Kohli he was a much different bowler which was evident in the 2017 BG Trophy.

Kohli clearly emphasized pace even if the bowler got hammered for runs, IK had a similar mindset of "bowl as fast as you can and don't worry about accuracy"

subshakerz

International Coach
Umesh Yadav used to bowl within himself under Dhoni, but with Kohli he was a much different bowler which was evident in the 2017 BG Trophy.

Kohli clearly emphasized pace even if the bowler got hammered for runs, IK had a similar mindset of "bowl as fast as you can and don't worry about accuracy"
Ishant Sharma is another good example of a bowler who was given a new life.