• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Howsie

International Captain
I don’t know if struggling against the supposedly fastest bowler in the world should be held against Chapman. I mean how many guys have the type of 150k pace like Sears…

What I can’t understand is why guys like Chapman, Phillips etc get a game here and there for NZ but all of a sudden Michael Bracewell comes along and he’s been given regular, consistent game time in every format. Someone who wasn’t good enough to make it as a batsman so now he’s some type of all rounder who isn’t actually an all rounder.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I mean maybe? It's like people forget Indian fast bowlers are pretty good in India, and that there is variety in pitches that can be prepared depending on locations that suit fast bowlers.
The ICC have oversight on pitches for global ICC events to stop home teams doctoring them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t know if struggling against the supposedly fastest bowler in the world should be held against Chapman. I mean how many guys have the type of 150k pace like Sears…

What I can’t understand is why guys like Chapman, Phillips etc get a game here and there for NZ but all of a sudden Michael Bracewell comes along and he’s been given regular, consistent game time in every format. Someone who wasn’t good enough to make it as a batsman so now he’s some type of all rounder who isn’t actually an all rounder.
Someone who probably would've been dropped/marginal pick for Wellington if he weren't the captain.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that's just becoming incorrect to the point of full-on slander tbh, particularly in domestic T20. Macewell was the highest scorer by 100 runs in the NZ T20 comp last season.

Macewell's already saved NZ's blushes in an Ireland ODI we would've lost. I don't really get the CW loathing for him, other than it ties in quite well with being irrationally keen on Ravindra's prowess, which in itself came about because all the certified blue ticks on Twitter had hyped Ravindra up into being the next NZ batting great.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand. They are a bit lacking in finesse.

But as much as I wish we could base a NZ cricket scene around those who run off to the UK, Australia or Japan to self-enrich in their early 20s (i.e. CricketWeb's regular posters), alas, we can't. We have to work with those who stick around.

Howsie

International Captain
Well that's just becoming incorrect to the point of full-on slander tbh, particularly in domestic T20. Macewell was the highest scorer by 100 runs in the NZ T20 comp last season.

Macewell's already saved NZ's blushes in an Ireland ODI we would've lost. I don't really get the CW loathing for him, other than it ties in quite well with being irrationally keen on Ravindra's prowess, which in itself came about because all the certified blue ticks on Twitter had hyped Ravindra up into being the next NZ batting great.
If Bracewell got the odd game here or there, the same sort of treatment ya know Phillps, Chapman, Young, Mitchell (earlier in his international career) it wouldn’t be that big of an issue for me. Even if I don’t rate him. But he’s literally been given every chance to succeed when far better prospects haven’t been given that same opportunity.

I mean this is a 31 year old that was handed a test debut as a spin bowling all rounder with 20 odd first class wickets from 95 games. The FC season before that he averaged under 20 with the bat and 57 with the ball. He was lucky to be playing for Wellington how he made the test squad I have no idea.

Xix2565

International Debutant
The ICC have oversight on pitches for global ICC events to stop home teams doctoring them.
Uh this feels like you think I'm talking about Chennai 2021 2nd Test vs England instead of pitches like Dharamshala 2017. I'm not sure how you think a bouncy, WACA-esque pitch in India is suddenly doctoring tbh.

And just to be clear pretending like the ICC oversight has made boards scared of doctoring pitches/advising curators is bizarre. Or that any form of oversight has made much of an impact on home teams getting pitches that suit them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Bracewell got the odd game here or there, the same sort of treatment ya know Phillps, Chapman, Young, Mitchell (earlier in his international career) it wouldn’t be that big of an issue for me. Even if I don’t rate him. But he’s literally been given every chance to succeed when far better prospects haven’t been given that same opportunity.

I mean this is a 31 year old that was handed a test debut as a spin bowling all rounder with 20 odd first class wickets from 95 games. The FC season before that he averaged under 20 with the bat and 57 with the ball. He was lucky to be playing for Wellington how he made the test squad I have no idea.
I think the main reason for it is that they think he's much more of a serious bowler (or at least more likely to become one) than the others mentioned. I realise CW disagrees (I disagree too) but I don't think it's some sort of deep nepotistic conspiracy; they just think he could become a proper allrounder and see Phillips, Chapman etc as batsmen who send down some part-time trash.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Macewell had an excellent T20 campaign highlighted by that insane innings at Pukekura Park.

Ford Trophy numbers were good:
Average 28, s/r 107
8 wickets at 22.87 e/r 4.7

Plunket Shield numbers were definitely droppable:
190 runs @ 19
7 wickets @ 57

Flem274*

123/5
I think the main reason for it is that they think he's much more of a serious bowler (or at least more likely to become one) than the others mentioned. I realise CW disagrees (I disagree too) but I don't think it's some sort of deep nepotistic conspiracy; they just think he could become a proper allrounder and see Phillips, Chapman etc as batsmen who send down some part-time trash.
So you're saying that either management are incompetent, or they're incompetent?

thierry henry

International Coach
Macewell's already saved NZ's blushes in an Ireland ODI we would've lost. I don't really get the CW loathing for him
The loathing for Macewell is obviously exaggerated meme territory now, but it stems from being opposed to selecting him as (a) an all-rounder and (b) in tests. While I wouldn't exactly call him a must-have selection as a white ball batsman, there's at least some semblance of an explanation for his selection there (T20 especially).

Surely it would be deliberately obtuse to pretend to not understand why he doesn't warrant selection in test cricket though - and more importantly, why he shouldn't be selected as a BOWLING all-rounder in tests? It feels like the sort of nonsensical, unearned, wimpy "give one of the lads a go" selection you wouldn't like?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, he lacks finesse, I admit this. 49 (England away) in his first knock in Test cricket though, and yet we're supposed to believe it was some big outrageous scandal of a pick. Give me a break from this soy milk-soaked devotion to the names that an utterly anachronistic and outmoded Plunket Shield laboratory have been pointing to as our potentially big studs.

Those Shield numbers would probably tell us to think twice about picking Tom Blundell.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Blundell have some pretty solid Plunket Shield numbers when he got picked? I can't remember precisely but I always thought of it as one of the least surprising selections to the test side since the team started getting good around 2013/14. Tbf, I'm sure there were plenty of ND cricket stalwarts who were grumpily insisting that he was no match for the raw talent of Tim Seifert, stats be damned.

thundaboult

International Debutant
macewell in t20s makes sense....anywhere else...nah

speaking of courage and competence, just recently alzarri was toying around with him with the short n fast stuff