• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
god i wish richard had the talent to play test cricket now. can you imagine him being a contemporary of anderson, broad, swann and KP?
"Well Richard, that was a fantastic hundred by KP, you and the whole team must be thrilled"
"Not really, he was put down twice in the slips before he passed 50. Must people would consider 120/3 to be at best passable."
"...wut."

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
sheesh Neesh is aight but he's really not as good of a cricketer as youse are saying

He also certainly isn't as good looking as Flem says but then this is the guy who thinks Macewell is a good sort sooooo
yeah as a LO player he's definitely more Stoinis than Stokes. Still a fantastic contributer to the team but Athlai was being a bit ott.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah as a LO player he's definitely more Stoinis than Stokes. Still a fantastic contributer to the team but Athlai was being a bit ott.
Stoinis is gun in T20 and an ODI fraud. Jimmy can atleast say he played a major part in an NZ ODI world cup campaign that nearly got the trophy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
i mean, he posted here. him being dangerously attractive and physically talented just hides the fact he's probs a massive, punishing nerd behind those shark eyes.

just imagine a CWer in a pro cricket dressing room. they'd get punched.
yeah it's not hard to see why sympathies lie a certain way

NZ CWersJimmy Neesham
Smartarse
✔
✔
Devilishly handsome
✔
✔
Weirdo Interesting
✔
✔
Good political opinions
✔
✔
Memes
✔
✔
Argumentative
✔
✔
Bowl ball good
❌
✔
Hit ball good
❌
✔

Athlai

Not Terrible
yeah it's not hard to see why sympathies lie a certain way

NZ CWersJimmy Neesham
Smartarse
✔
✔
Devilishly handsome
✔
✔
Weirdo Interesting
✔
✔
Good political opinions
✔
✔
Memes
✔
✔
Argumentative
✔
✔
Bowl ball good
❌
✔
Hit ball good
❌
✔
ATG stuff here

ashley bach

International Captain
With all the experimentation that has gone on recently with these minnow tours, it's hard to be convinced that Mark Chapman has been given a fair
run for his money. Totally understand you can only experiment so much, but with scores of 101* and 83 in his only 2 digs, one could certainly make a
case for persisting a bit further with him.
Hopefully in our summer coming up he'll at least get some fair opportunities to prove weather he's up to the job or not.
It's going to be a gruelling world cup for us in India next year, one thing we can ill afford to do is not be 100% sure we're taking our best players.
We need to think a little bit outside the box with a couple of selections and here's a possibility to do just that.
He's just turned 28 but here's hoping that it's actually not a rule you need to be 30 to play for the Black caps.

Just noted he's scored 92 and 45 against India A, more good signs for the young man.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No one who plays the short ball as poorly as Chapman could feel in any way hard done by about NZ's preference for Michael Bracewell.

Mitchell, Blundell....what made them stand out as domestic players? It really wasn't their stats, it was their courage and competence when the bowling got quicker and shorter.

Flem274*

123/5
The short ball was a big issue for him back when his FC record was a joke (first 3 seasons 15 games for 6 fifties, no tons and a low average). Your footage is 4 years old.

Around the post dropping time it looks like he went on an absolute tear in the Shield, scoring 4 tons and 2 fifties in 9 game spead over 2 seasons.

Then he got a little quieter over the 11 games before this tour with no tons but maintained a healthy average and scored some 90s.

I cbf working out the exact averages.

So he could have been better but it's clear he has improved as a player, and should probably be considered an ODI and T20 option again. It hurts no one except Chapman to have a look before the world cup.

And even if he sucks against it still, it says something that a player with no backfoot can still outscore Macewell.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've watched ball-by-ball of Chapman against Sears that certainly isn't four years old.

Yes, Indian pitches are still a very mixed bag, so there are some venues where a Chapman would be a handy addition. You have to view it as unlikely that India would be hyping Umran Malik and his 153kph readings in 2022 and then turning to 100% slow and docile pitches in 2023.

They see the 'high pace, potent spin, jocks and geeks fully united, working as one India' aspect as a nice point of difference from the other attacks.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If he is still that bad against the short ball then yeah Chapman shouldn't make the test side any time soon. I hate having NZ batsmen that insta-fail against short pitched bowling and agree with the contrast to Mitchell and Blundell.

I think most people see Chapman firstly as an ODI/T20I option, which seems right to me. A weakness v good short pitched bowling still has some relevance in those formats but can't be as ruthlessly exposed as in test cricket. I recall he showed a weakness to spin (even part-timers) in his early NZ showings but runs in India suggest he's improved on that. And the rest of his game looks good - has good domestic averages at a high strike rate.