• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket 2022

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Great catch by Lavelle, in what's face it is an uninspiring match so far.
I was hoping that Robinson would go on with it, but only because I've heard good things about him and I was hoping for something spectacular. One day I'd like to see two Ollie Robinsons in the test side, simply because I would. No cricketing reason, to be fair. Anyway, where's @Lillian Thomson now that his boys are in a cup final?

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I don't think Moriarty has played once in the CC this season. He played a couple of List A matches, which didn't go well. The captain thought it was a good idea to open the bowling with him, with not a lot of protection during the powerplay, and he was predictably expensive. You may be right about Virdi. I know he was loaned out to Somerset for, I think, just one match. He went wicketless and the opposition amassed a huge score. But it was only one match, and most of the Somerset bowlers were expensive, so conditions were probably not helpful. I think he may have played some List A games and gone OK, but I'm wracking my brain here. I do think that both of them would have been OK if allowed to get their act together in a four-day game or two. I get the impression that one of the reasons why they haven't played for Surrey in the CC is that they have preferred to bat deep, and these two spinners are both old fashioned tail-enders. Whereas most of the RFM bowlers (Clark, Lawes, Atkinson) can, to differing degrees, bat a bit.
I guess also Will Jacks has filled in as spinner when needed? It was definitely a weird selection to pick five pace bowlers plus Steel for the Northants game tho.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I guess also Will Jacks has filled in as spinner when needed? It was definitely a weird selection to pick five pace bowlers plus Steel for the Northants game tho.
Yes, that was the strategy at the start of the season. Which made sense up to a point, although Jacks' occasional wickets never made him a 'proper' option when a slower option was required. As for this week, I remember when Wantage Road was regarded as being helpful for guys like Swann and Jason Brown. I guess that's not the case nowadays, but having a decent spin option is always a good idea.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Rob Keogh was getting some pretty big turn on days 3 and 4, but he does give it quite a rip. I think Steel took his wickets with full tosses.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll bite. What's the grudge with Lancashire?
When I was a kid, and an even more devout follower of Essex than now, it seemed to me we played Lancashire in crunch knock-out fixtures with regularity and often were on the wrong side of the contest. That and the old Lanky-lanky-lanky-Lancashire chant.

Lancashire always willing to find a way to put the boot in - when I went to Old Trafford for the 2005 Ashes, it was a rain impacted day. The stewards told our section of the stand there would be no further play on the day. So, we went back to the hotel, turned on the TV and they were back out and playing. Old Trafford’s compensation for this… a free ticket to a day’s play for any Lancashire game. Bastards - they knew exactly what they were doing.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
When I was a kid, and an even more devout follower of Essex than now, it seemed to me we played Lancashire in crunch knock-out fixtures with regularity and often were on the wrong side of the contest. That and the old Lanky-lanky-lanky-Lancashire chant.

Lancashire always willing to find a way to put the boot in - when I went to Old Trafford for the 2005 Ashes, it was a rain impacted day. The stewards told our section of the stand there would be no further play on the day. So, we went back to the hotel, turned on the TV and they were back out and playing. Old Trafford’s compensation for this… a free ticket to a day’s play for any Lancashire game. Bastards - they knew exactly what they were doing.
Fair enough. Was there a Nat West Final where Lancashire batted first and didn't make a huge total, but Essex were dismissed really cheaply? Not meaning to rub it in, just seeing if my memory is in any sort of working order.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Rob Keogh was getting some pretty big turn on days 3 and 4, but he does give it quite a rip. I think Steel took his wickets with full tosses.
Sounds about right for Steel. As for Keogh, (maybe days 2 & 3 btw?) didn't he dismiss Amla after he'd reached 3 figures? Which supports our point really.

HeathDavisSpeed

Fair enough. Was there a Nat West Final where Lancashire batted first and didn't make a huge total, but Essex were dismissed really cheaply? Not meaning to rub it in, just seeing if my memory is in any sort of working order.
Yep. I think that’s the one that cpr wrote a poem about.

edit: I think I still suffer ptsd from that match. Truly horrific.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Kent should be looking at 300+ here. A good score on the board with the pressure all on the chasers. Evison has been a good pickup for Kent.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kent should be looking at 300+ here. A good score on the board with the pressure all on the chasers. Evison has been a good pickup for Kent.
He won't thank you for that; dismissed just short of 3 figures. Stevo time?

grecian

As we're going down memory lane, I was reminded by @fredfertang Twitter of this match, blimey two of the biggest hitters in the World score 124 between them and Somerset make only 207, ****ing dog**** really.

Anyway Evison goes, he looked okay I suppose.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As we're going down memory lane, I was reminded by @fredfertang Twitter of this match, blimey two of the biggest hitters in the World score 124 between them and Somerset make only 207, ****ing dog**** really.
I vaguely remember it. Somerset had three worldies but had yet to win anything. I do remember some wag saying that he thought they'd reach 1000 when Richards and Botham were batting together, but Viv wasn't able to go on with it on this occasion. They may have finished runners up in the JPL too. Was that the year when they were thrown out of the B&H after Rose declared their innings when they'd made just one run?

grecian

I vaguely remember it. Somerset had three worldies but had yet to win anything. I do remember some wag saying that he thought they'd reach 1000 when Richards and Botham were batting together, but Viv wasn't able to go on with it on this occasion. They may have finished runners up in the JPL too. Was that the year when they were thrown out of the B&H after Rose declared their innings when they'd made just one run?
Googled it and it was 79, umm this is a bit beyond my memory TBH, can't really remember this stuff that well.

Remember I'm only about 5 years older than the guy batting now. spring chicken:ph34r:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Googled it and it was 79, umm this is a bit beyond my memory TBH, can't really remember this stuff that well.

Remember I'm only about 5 years older than the guy batting now. spring chicken:ph34r:
Yeah, I sometimes forget that I've got 10 years on you. It's funny what I do remember though. A quick google confirmed that Somerset did indeed finish 2nd in the 1978 JPL, but only on net run rate. I think they needed to win their final match to secure the JPL and, batting second, looked like chasing the total quite comfortably. Viv was batting, of course, and peppering the boundaries with his version of clock cricket. Arlott was commentating, and, after 2 or 3 boundaries in one over simply informed us that 'This, of course, is a game that some people find difficult'. Just wonderful commentary from a man who understood that he didn't need to describe what we could all see with our own eyes. Even as an 18 year old, I knew that the man was an absolute treasure. Anyway, Viv was dismissed soon afterwards and Somerset duly lost the match. Maybe losing the JPL on net run rate informed Rose's thinking next May when he declared Somerset's innings after a an over or two so that their NRR couldn't be overtaken and that they would definitely progress through the group stage of the B&H.

Anyway, back to today. I think that Kent would have taken 306 at the start of their innings, but maybe not after 45 overs. Should be a good chase.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Great final and well done Kent. It was in the balance when Croft put his foot on the gas but Gilchrist came back with an excellent spell. Took a great catch to dismiss Lamb and well. Good efforts with the bat across the top and middle order and each of the bowlers played their part. Real team effort. Fitting that it would be Evison's day as one generation passes the baton to another.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
And Kent haven't let their RLC50 win go to their heads. Back to the regular CC form it is.

Surrey are playing at the Oval, so it's flat-track bully time for Ollie Pope!

And Jayant Yadav is playing for Warwickshire?