• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
They contracted him, and have backed him despite no real statistical evidence to do so. They'll keep doing so, I have no doubt. You'll hear that he's vital to sub-continent plans, is positive, is a leader, performs well in big situations, etc etc. Time will tell how wise or otherwise that is....
They already mentioned he's in the plans for the Pakistan tour, best we can hope for he gets smashed and gets no runs.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see Nathan Smith more as a test option. He took 31 wickets at 18.41 in the Plunket Shield (4 day comp) and averaged 21 with the bat (overall avs are 27 bat, 30 ball).

Flem274*

123/5
His List A stats are respectable tbh, and on the improve.

I see Neesh as the better bat and Smith the better bowler, but both should get good game time rather than playing the same side every game.

The names I'm throwing out are less relevant than the attitude I want from management, which is to build an experienced and proven squad.

They can even continue their thing with Macewell if they believe in his batting - I can see how Macewell's high strike rate, top order experience and serviceable List A average could be conducive to a #6 ODI role - I just want them to stop pretending he's in any way comparable with Ajaz in tests or a true spinner.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
They can even continue their thing with Macewell if they believe in his batting - I can see how Macewell's high strike rate, top order experience and serviceable List A average could be conducive to a #6 ODI role - I just want them to stop pretending he's in any way comparable with Ajaz in tests or a true spinner.
This - although I would argue that Glenn Phillips' all those attributes and is 6 years younger so get him in there full time.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This - although I would argue that Glenn Phillips' all those attributes and is 6 years younger so get him in there full time.
He's also a right hander (unlike Bracewell) and we already have lots of lefties - Conway (who may bat down at 4), Latham, Neesham, and Santner.

thierry henry

International Coach
While a few members of the team are definitely worthy of the name, I had to chuckle at who opened the batting for the 'New Zealand Legends'.
Ironically the star of the South African batting was an opener with even lesser international credentials - 1 game, 1 innings, zero runs, bowled Bond for a duck in 2005.

Howsie

International Captain
I definitely like him way more than most (Kippax definitely isn’t a fan) but we really have to try and give Josh Clarkson a decent run before the 2023 World Cup. He’s probably the cleanest striker of a ball I’ve seen out of New Zealand since a young Guptill.

12 months out from the World Cup I’m looking at

1. Guptill/Allen/Phillps
2. Guptill/Allen/Phillps
3. Williamson
4. Conway
5. Mitchell/Chapman/
6. Neesham/Clarkson/Cleavwr
7. Neesham/Clarkson/Santner
8. Santner/Rippon/Jamieson/Smith
9. Henry/Milne/Sears
10. Ferguson/Milne/Sears
11. Boult

I like Conway in the middle order, Phillips has always been a top order bat in one day cricket, think he’s better suited against pace anyway.

Southee and Latham are done, give Guptill till Xmas see how he’s getting on then make the move to Allen and Phillips.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarkson should've let the BBL scouts lure him into a relocation, really. He had to disregard the grudge NZC can sometimes develop against players who go down that route, tell them he just needs a break from all their nurture and coddling to refine some obviously weak aspects of his batting.

Going straight from his cruisy 28 and 35 white ball averages (in the easiest domestic T20 and List A comps for playing spin in the world) to batting in pressure games in a World Cup in India seems like far too great a leap.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I'd say Chapman, Santner, Katene Clarke and Bowes are indeed the future of NZ batting for the rest of this decade, which we end by having cuddly and increasingly competitive tussles with a whole new raft of teams.

Celebrate the rich diversity and unite it with a common enemy. A petrified dread of a 140+ short ball.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh "Chapman got donked on the head trying to slog in the 18th over of a T20I that one time he played a high profile game on the telly" is not the deep diving Kippax content I signed up for

Flem274*

123/5
Yes I'd say Chapman, Santner, Katene Clarke and Bowes are indeed the future of NZ batting for the rest of this decade, which we end by having cuddly and increasingly competitive tussles with a whole new raft of teams.

Celebrate the rich diversity and unite it with a common enemy. A petrified dread of a 140+ short ball.
I find it appropriate this picture won't load, to cap off a post taking a snide little swipe at horrific concepts like "multiple ethnicities playing for NZ"

Your favourite players Clarkson and Allen can certainly pull.

Flem274*

123/5
tbh "Chapman got donked on the head trying to slog in the 18th over of a T20I that one time he played a high profile game on the telly" is not the deep diving Kippax content I signed up for
I haven't seen the innings, but his red ball big knocks against full strength India A tend to suggest he has improved at batting in general.

thierry henry

International Coach
I haven't seen the innings, but his red ball big knocks against full strength India A tend to suggest he has improved at batting in general.
The thing that won't load for you is a video of Chapman getting sconed by Stanlake in that 240 vs 240 Eden Park T20I from 2018