• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
It's not like Parnell can't put in good performances, it's just a question of whether he can do it consistently. If he can then great, but I've been disappointed by him enough times in the past, and I'll concede that maybe I'm being a little harsh on him.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Jansen's played one T20I. His selection would be a joke.

I'm not a fan of Parnell, but since his return he's taken his wickets at an average of 17 and has an economy of 7.65. So I can't blame them for sticking with him.
I would rather have the young left arm quick who can bowl up to 150 rather than Parnell who has disappointed multiple times in the past when the spotlight has been on him. Doubt he is going to do as much versus proper quality in a high profile tournament with either bat or ball. There is a reason why Jansen was selected in the IPL and Parnell was not

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather have the young left arm quick who can bowl up to 150 rather than Parnell who has disappointed multiple times in the past when the spotlight has been on him. Doubt he is going to do as much versus proper quality in a high profile tournament with either bat or ball. There is a reason why Jansen was selected in the IPL and Parnell was not
Jansen gets into 140s not anywhere near 150, his personal goal was to get to 145 km/h one day... maybe when he puts some muscle on!

My biggest issue with Parnell was at FC level he performs, and against lesser batsmen generally... but against a good quality international batsmen, particularly under pressure, he tended to get carted. And everything I`ve seen of him in the hundred or the few T20s I have watched has not change my opinion much. We will see how he goes. I would probably prefer him to Pretorius... shot in the left foot or shot in the right, tough decisions.

Dendarii

International Debutant
There is a reason why Jansen was selected in the IPL and Parnell was not
Jansen got into the IPL on potential, which he hasn't to realised so far. It's hardly a ridiculous selection for South Africa to go for someone who's been performing of late rather than someone who's yet to prove himself in the format.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Jansen got into the IPL on potential, which he hasn't to realised so far. It's hardly a ridiculous selection for South Africa to go for someone who's been performing of late rather than someone who's yet to prove himself in the format.
fair point, can see why Parnell was picked. Still think he’s going to fall short against quality sides but he’s more viable than Andile at least.

is Linde completely out of the picture now? A shame if he is as I liked how he played and deserved more games

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate Marco Jansen but do not disagree with this at all. Saffer Reidy really has done very little in T20 cricket at this point of his career, not many games granted but not much in the way of performance in them.

Definitely has the skillset to crack T20 cricket, but the fact is he hasn't done so yet

Bahseph

State Captain
It's like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic with this batting isn't it? :wallbash: the Australian tour wil he tough,but I guess the hope is that the batsmen cope better with pace and bounce than they do with swing and seam. With all the criticism we have of Bavuma,he never looks out of his depth while batting. So atleast he will add some grit.

Essentially every batting position is up for grabs except Elgar's now. I just don't see who will come in and make the team stronger.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic with this batting isn't it? :wallbash: the Australian tour wil he tough,but I guess the hope is that the batsmen cope better with pace and bounce than they do with swing and seam. With all the criticism we have of Bavuma,he never looks out of his depth while batting. So atleast he will add some grit.

Essentially every batting position is up for grabs except Elgar's now. I just don't see who will come in and make the team stronger.
Agreed. But this is fundamentally the problem I have been speaking about for 5 years. This was no longer a team that you could slowly bring in jobbing cricketers to salve the problem. You can bring in an in form batsmen/opener for an injured player when your team is well built and 4 or 5 of your top 7 are solid performers. What we needed was a complete rebuild 5 years ago, currently we have the most inexperienced line-up ever but still playing guys in their late 20 early 30s. We need to pick from the most talented under 25 group (maybe 27) and just let them play series together start gaining experience and building a team for 5 or 6 years time.

Two problems with this, firstly this is not in any of the current management (and captains) advantage because they will not be there in 5/6 years time. Secondly the current administration is clearly not interested in the test team. So the best we can hope for right now is that the domestic structure solidifies enough and we get enough talent coming through to produce a quality test team eventually. And my hope is very very low on that...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What I hoped from this series was not to win, but that one or two of the batsmen would stand up and give us hope... but nothing, Vey difficult for them but still...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys should just invest in certain players, I think. I dunno who your #2 opener is, but I will keep KP Jr. at 3. Markram at 4. And see if others step for 5 and 6. I like what I see of Mulder and I think Australia might suit his batting.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You guys should just invest in certain players, I think. I dunno who your #2 opener is, but I will keep KP Jr. at 3. Markram at 4. And see if others step for 5 and 6. I like what I see of Mulder and I think Australia might suit his batting.
Markram has been given enough opportunity for now.. he will stay within the LO squads anyway and can try him out again later.

Can stick with Rickleton, Verreynne, Mulder... depending on, SA could try improve Rickeltons keeping, make it a shoot out for those two for the keeping spot. I would try out J. Malan, for the opening spot and still would want to give Breetzke opportunity. van Tonder needs to be brought in. Bavuma will come back. Its gonna be awhile before we have a settled batting line-up particularly when we start having so few test match's.

Dendarii

International Debutant
So the best we can hope for right now is that the domestic structure solidifies enough and we get enough talent coming through to produce a quality test team eventually. And my hope is very very low on that...
There was an article on by Firdose Moonda on Cricinfo recently where she actually made some valid points. In the article she listed players who've average over 50 in the past few seasons, and assuming that the numbers are correct then we've actually tried most of them. So while there are issues with some decisions the selectors have made, it's not always their fault if they're picking the players who are performing domestically and those guys are failing to take that form into the test arena.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There was an article on by Firdose Moonda on Cricinfo recently where she actually made some valid points. In the article she listed players who've average over 50 in the past few seasons, and assuming that the numbers are correct then we've actually tried most of them. So while there are issues with some decisions the selectors have made, it's not always their fault if they're picking the players who are performing domestically and those guys are failing to take that form into the test arena.
We have been picking the in form players... that does not mean that they are capable of Test cricket on a long term basis. I keep saying its not about the now, if you have a settled team and you need a single bat to fill a spot, fine you pick the form player. But that is not where SA team is at, we need a rebuild (we needed to start rebuilding 5 years ago!). You pick on talent and potential. Not all of it will work (see Markram) but letting your best talent sit in a poor domestic structure while picking jobbing cricketers does not grow the test team.

Stefan9

International Debutant

I don't think elgar should be safe either. 1 x 100 in 2 years pretty poor for your leading bat especially when he claimed when taking captaincy that need test 100's. He has hardly been leading from the front in that regard.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not surprising in any way... be interesting to see when Elgar retires. I think it may be very very soon. Particularly considering he is not part of the LO setup.