• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2022

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly I don’t understand T20, so I’m generally 20 years off the pace with cricket - is there some newfangled cricket logic that explains having no catchers from Zampa there and not even bringing fielders up to cut off the match-tying single? I genuinely don’t know, I’m assuming these guys do lots of analysis and stuff
You often have one or 2 guys out even if there's only 1 to win, it's a catching position. 9 Fielders in the ring means all you need to do is skew one over the top

Howsie

International Captain
We’re such a defensive team, that’s in how we play and how the team is selected. We ain’t winning many games with Santner, Bracewell and Neesham expected to bowl through the middle overs.

Meridio

International Regular
Admittedly I don’t understand T20, so I’m generally 20 years off the pace with cricket - is there some newfangled cricket logic that explains having no catchers for Zampa there and not even bringing fielders up to cut off the match-tying single? I genuinely don’t know, I’m assuming these guys do lots of analysis and stuff
Someone out at deep midwicket/long on is a catching position in that scenario, especially with a tailender batting. Bring them all in and a mistimed hoik wins the game.

thierry henry

International Coach
You often have one or 2 guys out even if there's only 1 to win, it's a catching position. 9 Fielders in the ring means all you need to do is skew one over the top
I get how it’s a thing if it was the last over, but if Zampa had got himself out there by smoking one to long on I’d have eaten my imaginary hat.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Admittedly I don’t understand T20, so I’m generally 20 years off the pace with cricket - is there some newfangled cricket logic that explains having no catchers for Zampa there and not even bringing fielders up to cut off the match-tying single? I genuinely don’t know, I’m assuming these guys do lots of analysis and stuff
I thought Williamson's captaincy and handling of his bowlers was terrible. Not taking anything from Carey and Green who played tremendously well, but after having Australia on the mat, barely attempted to keep the pressure on at any stage.

TheJediBrah

I get how it’s a thing if it was the last over, but if Zampa had got himself out there by smoking one to long on I’d have eaten my imaginary hat.
It's still often a standard thing to do, and for good reason. Would have been stupid not to have a man out around point, for example, given Zampa already showing the willingness to back away and slash

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Changes for game 2?

I'd love to see this top 7 with Mitchell bowling but it wouldn't happen:
Allen
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Neesham

Meridio

International Regular
I thought Williamson's captaincy and handling of his bowlers was terrible. Not taking anything from Carey and Green who played tremendously well, but after having Australia on the mat, barely attempted to keep the pressure on at any stage.
Yeah I think Kane's captaincy has really declined in the last little while. We saw it in England repeatedly and it was similar here, making poor use of our bowlers. I don't think bowling Boult out right at the start was the right option, but he should've bowled more than 5 first up when he's a swing bowler and the ball was swinging. Bringing on the spinners so early also not a good move, particularly Bracewell (a very common theme this year), it's an okay tactic to get through overs with a part-timer when batsmen are new to the crease if they're chasing a big target, but here run rate was never going to be an issue, we had to hunt more wickets - should've gone to Ferguson and kept Boult going for a few more.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Changes for game 2?

I'd love to see this top 7 with Mitchell bowling but it wouldn't happen:
Allen
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Neesham
I still think Allen at the top with Guptill and Conway at 4 is ideal, Allen might hit a quickfire 20-30 which could be the difference on these kind of surfaces.

anil1405

International Captain
Gifting Maxwell wickets and not scoring enough runs off their 4th and 5th bowlers was a huge factor in NZ losing this game.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So what do Australia do with the XI going into game 2? Win was nice but we've had 2 absolutely ****house top order collapses in a row, can't forget the 1st odi vs zimbabwe where we nearly ****ed it up before maxwell bailed us out either. I'de like to see 2 of stoinis, finch and marnus binned but I doubt the selectors will do any of that with finch as captain and marnus only having 1 game back. Hopefully we atleast see inglis for stoinis.

TheJediBrah

Broken record, but FInch and Stoinis still playing is ridiculous

Mitch Marsh coming back would replace Stoin, Head should replace Finch. Presumably Cummins will replace one of those 2 when he's back too

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Think this game was a microcosm of NZ's larger issues at the moment. Batting lineup is strong on paper but the top order tends to underachieve (one or two big scores from them here would have taken them to a comfortable total), and the finishing is very suspect. Bowling obviously very reliant on the new ball (the core is the same as 2019 WC), but the Neesham/Macewell combination as 5th/6th bowlers is really going to prove costly, won't get away with it unless the batsmen can put up large totals consistently.

thierry henry

International Coach
I just don’t get how no part of the plan was about the bowler actually defeating the batsman. Even during the Green/Carey partnership, we were always going to need wickets whereas they had no great need to be super aggressive. Counting on them holing out made no sense.

When you’ve got Zampa facing Ferguson or Santner, and Zampa is for the most part just looking to survive or take singles, how do you not even have one fielder positioned to take advantage of a well-executed bowling plan? Hell, if not a slip then at least give me a leg gully or something. It’s like the possibility of a conventional dismissal didn’t exist. It feels like an overreach of ‘400 plays 400’ tactics where irrespective of the match situation, KW thought the only way to take wickets was to lure a batsman into slightly miss hitting an attempted 6 to his carefully placed boundary riders.