• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lads,,,

Will their come a time when the laughing ends and you think "this quite sad what is happening United" ...

:detective
No ****ing chance for me, but as I have always said I hated them bleating through their Dry years, when they won Fa Cups which back then was actually possibly more prestigious than the League and had the best playe' s in the country playing for them. the years of dominance after only concreted my hatred.

I am just finding it bizarrely inept, I think it does remind me a little of Souness going into Liverpool and deciding he'd get rid of the Boot Room, because in actually "why the **** would you change a winning formula" type thing.

But the weird thing is IMHO the appointment of Ragnick was right, you are a club that needs someone to oversee the transfers and the running of the club from above, and stop the stupid stop-gap signings and create a cohesive transfer policy, yet you didn't do that you made him manager he was predictably ****e, then you got rid of him as soon as he could become useful, and now you are right back at looking at short-term ridiculous signings like Morata and Arnautović, it's so beautiful, you are ****ed for years.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously though why are United so ****?
15 years of neglect and mismanagement. Performance always lags recruitment and coaching and ours has been shocking for years. Our richness isn’t covering for our dumbness any more.

It’s got especially bad recently because so many teams have their **** together. The other 5 ‘top 6’ teams are now in decent shape and the Pulis and Dyche teams have all been flushed and replaced with impeccably run clubs like Brighton and Brentford (the two teams we’ve lost to). Us and Everton are the only two ramshackle operations left.

Himannv

International Coach
15 years of neglect and mismanagement. Performance always lags recruitment and coaching and ours has been shocking for years. Our richness isn’t covering for our dumbness any more.

It’s got especially bad recently because so many teams have their **** together. The other 5 ‘top 6’ teams are now in decent shape and the Pulis and Dyche teams have all been flushed and replaced with impeccably run clubs like Brighton and Brentford (the two teams we’ve lost to). Us and Everton are the only two ramshackle operations left.
I think it’s also a case of not investing in a proper footballing setup and just trying to give whichever new manager turns up whichever players he wants (and not always getting first choice either).

That’s just been terrible strategy and they’ve ended up with a mishmash of players who suit different visions and have different characteristics to what the new manager would ideally want. Said players would also thrive in some specific setups with a supporting cast that have a different set of skills. Since they don’t have that, they now look like a fish out of the water since they’re not playing in a setup where they can be at their best.

United have to be patient as well since these are not problems that can be fixed overnight. The whole thing requires a systematic change in style of play and personnel. Plus it requires an underlying system for recruitment that is based on stats and analytics where they can identify a player that will suit the way they want to play in both the short term and long term.

Having said all that, United still haven’t solved the problem yet in my view since their recruitment is still heavily reliant on the manager’s choices and they don’t look like they have the system in place behind the scenes even now and that’s the most worrying aspect.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah that’s all true.

For a long time under Woodward we could only make 2 or 3 transfers per summer because our ability to execute the logistics was so weak. He was open about that, acting as though it was a universal difficulty in football. Apparently Joel Glazer demands input at every stage but has a habit of going AWOL.

It must be almost uniquely incompetent - lots of clubs make bad signings or run out of money but I don’t remember any who couldn’t buy players because they didn’t really know how.

social

Yeah that’s all true.

For a long time under Woodward we could only make 2 or 3 transfers per summer because our ability to execute the logistics was so weak. He was open about that, acting as though it was a universal difficulty in football. Apparently Joel Glazer demands input at every stage but has a habit of going AWOL.

It must be almost uniquely incompetent - lots of clubs make bad signings or run out of money but I don’t remember any who couldn’t buy players because they didn’t really know how.
Lots of criticism about how much money the Glazers/debt/interest takes out of the club but reality is that United has rarely been short of dosh to throw at personnel

They just have a long history of incompetence

grecian

Lots of criticism about how much money the Glazers/debt/interest takes out of the club but reality is that United has rarely been short of dosh to throw at personnel

They just have a long history of incompetence
The Glazers need to be criticised (or lauded in my belief) because actually the incompetence has started with their appointees, and it carries on. Yeah the money is just a red-herring, pretty sure FSG take money out of Liverpool, but they have a pretty good sytem going and money spent by them seem to be well spent. Despite them probably caring as little about soccer as the Glazers.

Pothas

They also buy good players and make them worse. Sancho goes to Liverpool last season and we are probably saying how well he settled in. They also bought Eriksen who apparently was the only reason Brentford ever won a football match last year.

Anyway why the hell am I talking about United, never wish I has been at a game more than yesterday.

Himannv

International Coach
Sancho goes to Liverpool last season and we are probably saying how well he settled in.
That's hard to say for sure really.

In most of his games for Dortmund, he was actually more effective in the second half and scored and assisted a lot more when the opposition were more open and trying to chase the game. He was fine going one on one against a defender, but thrived when he had more space to manoeuvre and ran at the defender who was already backpedaling to cover the space.

Sancho isn't lightening quick by any means although I think he makes up for that with good decision making and being in the right situations. I also think he's much more comfortable on the left cutting in with his right foot.

Liverpool kind of prefer to have pacey wide-forwards (Salah, Mane, Diaz, etc.). They seem setup to have those wide-forwards work the defence both on the ball and off it, while the false 9 or 9 create the space and opportunity for them to work. He wouldn't be my first choice in that role for Liverpool as his skills seem to lie elsewhere.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's interesting to compare how Arsenal dealt with Aubameyang compared with how Man Utd dealt with Ronaldo this summer.

Uppercut

I think Sancho is still very good and we just don’t put him in situations where he excels. It’s not like with Rashford where he’s clearly slowed down and is making lots of individual mistakes. He just gets the ball and there’s nothing on and he has to dribble round 3 players just to avoid losing it.

Himannv

International Coach
I think Sancho is still very good and we just don’t put him in situations where he excels.
I feel situations are created by the system or the tactics and I'm not yet convinced the setup we have can bring the best out of him. Still early days so it's hard to say for sure. I think he is definitely better off on the left though.