• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Taylor vs Michael Slater vs Justin Langer

Better test batsman?

• Mark Taylor

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Michael Slater

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Justin Langer

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Paul Nobes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
Always found these three to be harder to split

Taylor 7525 at 43.49 with 19 tons
Slater 5312 at 42.83 with 14 tons
Langer 7696 at 45.27 with 23 tons

Slater was obviously fun to watch but other two had longer and completed careers. Langer with better looking stats but he had a easier time of it in the 00s still though did really well in 05 when rest went missing.

Discuss

Xuhaib

International Coach
This is easy.

Langer, Taylor and then Slater all 3 have decent gap in between them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is difficult.

Slater, Taylor and then Langer all 3 have small gap in between them.

flibbertyjibber

Slater was the best to watch but would have to count as the weakest player of the three. Langer probably a better player than Taylor though he didn't have the pressure of being captain.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably in the order of their averages, but I agree with TJB that the gaps aren't that large.

Funny that Australa were able to discard Slater so easily then. He'd walk into an opening slot for most if not all test teams today.

Xuhaib

International Coach
As I expected the gap becomes larger when we take Langer just an an opener.

He scored 5000 odd @ 49 with 16 tons as an opener making him considerably better then Taylor and Slater when we just look at them as openers.

Spikey

yeah but langer and taylor opened when actual good fast bowlers existed

they're all bad people, i vote no-one

Spikey

have we ever done a deep dive into which england team that visited aus from 90-91 to 2002-03 was best and worse

subshakerz

International Coach
Always found these three to be harder to split

Taylor 7525 at 43.49 with 19 tons
Slater 5312 at 42.83 with 14 tons
Langer 7696 at 45.27 with 23 tons

Slater was obviously fun to watch but other two had longer and completed careers. Langer with better looking stats but he had a easier time of it in the 00s still though did really well in 05 when rest went missing.

Discuss
Langer in front but I think Slater was a better bat than Taylor.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats for me. And his number of tons is a little deceiving due to his record breaking strike rate of 90s to tests ratio

I know he got out and didn't actually reach the ton, but he made a lot of important contributions which can't be shown by just the tons figure.

He certainly was the most destructive on his day

TheJediBrah

Another pro for Slats, he did it while being distracted by all the little voices in his head. Can't have been easy