• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Meridio

International Regular
Is it confirmed that Jamieson can't bat? If so it must be a very serious back injury. Otherwise you'd think he'd be at least able to go out and try and block it for a few balls to help give the other batsmen an opportunity to slog a few runs.
Not heard anything, but you'd think a back injury would reduce his ability to have wild slogs at the ball. Assuming he can at least do something, I'd very much hope he gets in there and defends the **** out of it, especially if Mitchell is still in there. Tailenders blindly throwing it away with a set batsman at the other end does my head in at the best of times, and in a situation like this hanging in there for as long as possible could be crucial.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is it confirmed that Jamieson can't bat? If so it must be a very serious back injury. Otherwise you'd think he'd be at least able to go out and try and block it for a few balls to help give the other batsmen an opportunity to slog a few runs.
Jamieson needs to bat 10, so that Trent can score some more runs at 11 to get the record outright and increase his lead on Anderson.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm actually not sure what I'm seeing with this team. Whereas 2 years ago you have a clear feeling of leadership, ownership of roles, being switched on to the task at hand, there just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same clarity about who we are as a team. Crazy run outs, weird innings' like Bracewell's, no real sensibility to the selection process, and it's showing in our results.

The feeling to me, and I'm outside the environment obviously, is that this team is Stead's now. It isn't the end of the Hesson era over-flowing, nor is it really Kane's at present either, because he's missed so many Tests. And maybe I'm being harsh, but I think that's starting to show.
Yes, pure jocks won't get this reference too well, but the way I think of the current New Zealand team is like the second season of Twin Peaks. There's clearly nobody left writing or directing these episodes who can summon up anything more than a very poor imitation of what made it such a hit to begin with. The people still on the show's payroll are just uninteresting little studio placements and try-hards, keen to farm for profit what remains of Lynch's geese that were laying golden eggs.

Hence you get some of these effeminate con job 'look out for young Ravindra, he's our new Williamson' storylines, subplots that just don't really hit the mark for anyone.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Yes, pure jocks won't get this reference too well, but the way I think of the current New Zealand team is like the second season of Twin Peaks. There's clearly nobody left writing or directing these episodes who can summon up anything more than a very poor imitation of made it such a hit to begin with. The people still on the show's payroll are just uninteresting little studio placements and try-hards, keen to farm for profit what remains of Lynch's geese that were laying golden eggs.

Hence you get some of these effeminate con job 'look out for young Ravindra, he's our new Williamson' storylines, subplots that just don't really hit the mark for anyone.
At the start of this post I thought I was a pure jock but by the end I think I might be effeminate

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Been away couple of days or three and haven't watched much cricket unfortunately but I don't know what you lots are complaining about. From the scorecard I see we are set up for a fantastic finish and as much as they all four results are possible I'm thinking we'll take this game if not hands down we will in the last hour of the test match.

If you know the recent England batting form and debacle in West Indies as much as they say they are up for it, it's Stokes' and Baz's positive nature rubbing off it is still the same personnel that will be batting and they have lot of scars over a year. The Greneda test match collapse is still very fresh. I think England will be more worried than Black Caps.

Add another 30-40 runs in the morning which is not that hard with Daz at best form of his life and a known hitter of the ball will get us to 275 at least. 250+ on the 5th day even if we are a bowler down is not an easy job for England. Couple of early wickets and if we can take out Root and Stokes the game will be done and dusted.

On paper and having watched Bracewell at basin in red ball cricket over the last decade or so I didn't rate him at all both with the bat and bal but looking at the scorecard he has been a proper replacement for CDG and has probably taken more poles than say CDG would have. I'm impressed by his show in his very first test match (although only purely going by having a look at the scorecard and reading the cricinfo feed). Maybe not a top order bat but anywhere 6 to 8 would be perfectly suited. He may not be able to play the moving ball well enough but can definitely smash the spinners around the park. Seen him do that a lot in white ball cricket. As an offie he's going to find it hard as they generally get smashed unless there is lots in the pitch but I do think the management have been good in recognizing him like they did of Darryl Mitchell. I wouldn't have thought Darryl was all that good a red ball player but he has absolutely nailed it.

Disappointed Young hasn't converted the starts and Devon I thought would be scoring runs for fun but you can't be expecting them to be scoring every game.

If we set anything over 250 that'll be a lot for England to chase. If they start to show good form with the bat we can always bowl negative lines and force them to make errors. I don't think scoring at 3 and half on the last day is as easy as it is made to be by you lads. I'd still say 75:25 to us.

nzfan

Maybe the wrong thread but definitely not a fan of what they did to Neesham. As expected he has rejected domestic offer and pulled the plug on playing for Firebirds which also means at the age of 31 he's been converted to a freelancer in which he will do really well but didn't think cutting him from the contract and offering it to Bracewell was a good move from NZC just because Neesham is different in his outlook.

Neesham had lots to offer to Black Caps still and for years to come. Although they are saying he moved back to Auckland and didn't make the Aces contract cut due to timing issue I'm pretty sure he would have not wanted a domestic contract which will tie him to playing local cricket only during our summer.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe the wrong thread but definitely not a fan of what they did to Neesham. As expected he has rejected domestic offer and pulled the plug on playing for Firebirds which also means at the age of 31 he's been converted to a freelancer in which he will do really well but didn't think cutting him from the contract and offering it to Bracewell was a good move from NZC just because Neesham is different in his outlook.

Neesham had lots to offer to Black Caps still and for years to come. Although they are saying he moved back to Auckland and didn't make the Aces contract cut due to timing issue I'm pretty sure he would have not wanted a domestic contract which will tie him to playing local cricket only during our summer.
I'm sure @Kippax will have strong views on Neesham's ejection.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been away couple of days or three and haven't watched much cricket unfortunately but I don't know what you lots are complaining about. From the scorecard I see we are set up for a fantastic finish and as much as they all four results are possible I'm thinking we'll take this game if not hands down we will in the last hour of the test match.

If you know the recent England batting form and debacle in West Indies as much as they say they are up for it, it's Stokes' and Baz's positive nature rubbing off it is still the same personnel that will be batting and they have lot of scars over a year. The Greneda test match collapse is still very fresh. I think England will be more worried than Black Caps.

Add another 30-40 runs in the morning which is not that hard with Daz at best form of his life and a known hitter of the ball will get us to 275 at least. 250+ on the 5th day even if we are a bowler down is not an easy job for England. Couple of early wickets and if we can take out Root and Stokes the game will be done and dusted.

On paper and having watched Bracewell at basin in red ball cricket over the last decade or so I didn't rate him at all both with the bat and bal but looking at the scorecard he has been a proper replacement for CDG and has probably taken more poles than say CDG would have. I'm impressed by his show in his very first test match (although only purely going by having a look at the scorecard and reading the cricinfo feed). Maybe not a top order bat but anywhere 6 to 8 would be perfectly suited. He may not be able to play the moving ball well enough but can definitely smash the spinners around the park. Seen him do that a lot in white ball cricket. As an offie he's going to find it hard as they generally get smashed unless there is lots in the pitch but I do think the management have been good in recognizing him like they did of Darryl Mitchell. I wouldn't have thought Darryl was all that good a red ball player but he has absolutely nailed it.

Disappointed Young hasn't converted the starts and Devon I thought would be scoring runs for fun but you can't be expecting them to be scoring every game.

If we set anything over 250 that'll be a lot for England to chase. If they start to show good form with the bat we can always bowl negative lines and force them to make errors. I don't think scoring at 3 and half on the last day is as easy as it is made to be by you lads. I'd still say 75:25 to us.
This is the content I crave.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wagner for Jamieson next match and good home series aside, I'd be tempted to bring Patel in for Henry on noted dustbowl *checks note* L-Leeds...

nzfan

Wagner for Jamieson next match and good home series aside, I'd be tempted to bring Patel in for Henry on noted dustbowl *checks note* L-Leeds...
Patel is the man we are going to miss dearly on the last day of the test match I think. Damn, wish Kane bowled him few more overs last test match and he would have played this.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Yes, pure jocks won't get this reference too well, but the way I think of the current New Zealand team is like the second season of Twin Peaks. There's clearly nobody left writing or directing these episodes who can summon up anything more than a very poor imitation of what made it such a hit to begin with. The people still on the show's payroll are just uninteresting little studio placements and try-hards, keen to farm for profit what remains of Lynch's geese that were laying golden eggs.

Didn't think I'd ever get Twin Peaks/Blackcaps fanfic on here but I am here for it.

nzfan

Whatever the result of this test match as for next one I'd definitely like to see Ajaz playing and Kane if at all coming back then for Nicholls. Nicholls is the most under cooked batter in the side at the moment.

As for Latham, he is still our best opener and opening is a very tough job. It's the most hardest job in cricket in red ball. There are very few great openers and often enough all of them would have struggled. Just a passing phase for Latham, he will be back to his usual form. It's not long ago he was scoring double hundreds on a tough deck.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Ugh, does this mean we're gonna have to wait 25 years for NZ cricket to get good again?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cooper = KW. He's in the red room already. The KW we're seeing right now is really evil-Kane, working at failing so bad overseas so that every sub-continent poster chuckle-head can titter to themselves about his away record.

Whatever the result of this test match as for next one I'd definitely like to see Ajaz playing and Kane if at all coming back then for Nicholls. Nicholls is the most under cooked batter in the side at the moment.

As for Latham, he is still our best opener and opening is a very tough job. It's the most hardest job in cricket in red ball. There are very few great openers and often enough all of them would have struggled. Just a passing phase for Latham, he will be back to his usual form. It's not long ago he was scoring double hundreds on a tough deck.
Neither will happen. Bracewell will play and bat at 8 - NZ will want the extra batting cover with Jamieson out of the side. Even with a well-performing middle-order, having Wagner or Southee coming out to bat at 8 with Ajaz at 10 looks a little thin.

As for Latham, I think everyone's point is that this is his usual form against serious opponents. I like Latham a lot, I think he's underrated. But his batting has stagnated at the level of "acceptable for NZ".

nzfan

This humiliating defeat we are currently experiencing
Last test match? Yeah I'm aware we haven't won a series since I think last winter. India 1-0 wasn't that bad, 1-1 to Bangladesh and South Africa weren't ideal. No Kane and no Taylor so yes it's going to be a tough phase. That's not an excuse and yes if England had all their bowlers available we would have had real trouble but you have to understand our batting is a bit unsettled with Kane barely available and Taylor done. That's massive loss of experience. Latham as a captain isn't very inspiring.

One good win here and things will fall back in place. If we lose which I see as very unlikely, still the batting stock of Latham, Young, Kane, Conway, Nicholls, Mitchell and Blundell is well and truly set for at least 2-3 years. Each one of them deserve a very long run even if they run into some serious loss of form.

Other than maybe Wagner I can't see the bowling change much either. Wish they used Ajaz better though. They have absolutely screwed him over.