• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

thierry henry

International Coach
Root is super tall looking, like is everyone except me an idiot, seriously. He’s built like a small Peter Crouch.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
As a NZ fan so happy to see Jamieson back to his best. This is an excellent piece of cricket writing.

They're saying farewell to Mark Taylor - a shame I enjoyed his analysis and rapport with his old opponents Atherton & Hussein.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Mark Taylor was very good. Saw him chatting to the Lord's ground staff too which was nice.

Hope Sky have some quality coming in as less/no Pietersen would be better. Guess they hoped Broad would have been binned off still.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Well done England. Bowling never allowed NZ to get away barring end of day 2 when Mitchell and Blundell were comfortable. So good to watch Broaderson when on song, and Potts helped sharpen up the attack. Wonderful innings from Root, paced it beautifully. Stokes helped shift the momentum and took the second new ball out of the equation.

For NZ the top 4 were pretty much the problem in this game, these are the 4 best test batters in the country so quite perplexing to see them fail collectively. Hope they bounce back well. Big props to Mitchell, Blundell, Jamieson for keeping NZ in it, but KW really needs to evolve from “give the ball to Southee and Boult” when confronted with less than swing-friendly consition.

White Ball

State 12th Man
Mark Taylor was very good. Saw him chatting to the Lord's ground staff too which was nice.

Hope Sky have some quality coming in as less/no Pietersen would be better. Guess they hoped Broad would have been binned off still.
I thought Taylor was excellent it is good having neutral commentators alongside Nasser and Athers and with Holding retired and Warney RIP there is a vacuum there now I guess.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The post-mortem for NZ is the same as it was for the lacklustre home summer with those Bangladesh and South Africa losses. Counter to the usual NZ narrative, the team is currently less than the sum of its parts and is often better on paper than it is on the field. This is an excellent playing XI and was for the home summer too, but is sputtering and failing to put out consistently good performances.

We focus on a few surface-level issues like the tail batting like idiots (home summer) and not bowling a spinner, but when you're not getting the most out of your best players, have to look at leadership.

Not an anti-Williamson post but him missing so much cricket injured in the home summer, going to the IPL and playing for the basket-case Sunrisers (when their basket-case-ness seems to be partly Williamson's doing), then rocking up to England without much of a warmup and without much time to bring the team together... that can't help. His form's also been woeful for quite a while - too much on his plate? Would love it if he would give up the IPL, but that seems unlikely.

Not an anti-Latham post either but he captained the five tests prior to this one, we capitulated with the bat in three of those and lost - a return to the bad old days of the match-losing lollapse. We also seemed to lack a Plan B with the ball if the new ball seam attack didn't knock the opposition over. Tbh we looked more focused this match with Williamson back in charge, just batted woefully.

Williamson and Latham are two of our most vital players and aren't going anywhere. Suggest what could really help Williamson (and Latham) would be a coach that challenges him and provides new impetus. Results have fallen away and wonder if the team is getting a little stale under Stead - he's been in the job nearly four years. Quite conversative, probably a similar temperament to Williamson, a coach with a different style might add something. The hard part would be to find someone good that wants the job, of course.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I thought Taylor was excellent it is good having neutral commentators alongside Nasser and Athers and with Holding retired and Warney RIP there is a vacuum there now I guess.
He could play the genial former Australian captain role that Ritchie Benaud used to fill. Should have asked him to stay on for the rest of the series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Root an all time england top 5 batter already.
My list
Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Sutcliffe

Can't think of anyone else before Root tbh.
Best player for 50 years. Better than Cook and Boycott. Better than Gower, Pietersen and Gooch.

Will set records that won't be matched by any other Englishman.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Look I realise Ireland's GDP is pretty high on a per capita basis, but surely head coach of their cricket team can't be paying that well.
Does he want the job? Probably, but NZC may have snoozed on that one and therefore losed, at least until Malan's done a couple of years with Ireland.