• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It may not be the hardest task in the world, but why make the players who spend 99% of their training time to stop the ball entering the net have a go at putting it in? Just feels unfair on the players themselves to change their roles in the contest.
Goalkeepers are footballers too tbf. It's no more their job to put the ball in the net than a lot of the other players who'd have to take one (i.e. defenders etc)

Last edited:

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Goalkeepers are footballers too tbf. It's no more their job to put the goal in the net than a lot of the other players who'd have to take one (i.e. defenders etc)
Same applies to hockey or water polo, but they both have the outfield players retake rather than putting the keepers on the spot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Same applies to hockey or water polo, but they both have the outfield players retake rather than putting the keepers on the spot.
Good for them I guess, but these days goalkeepers who can't actually play football are to football what wicket keepers who can't bat are to cricket. And let's not forget there are plenty of keepers who are awesome from dead ball situations.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely taking them before the match risks a whole lot of boring
Possibly, but let's not pretend World Cup finals gave been scintilating for awhile. It certainly means one side will attack, which is more you get in some of these matches, particularly near the end, where let's face it most sides just seem to settle for pens.

I just think it kinda tales the demonising of whomever misses them, silly talk about subs, the penalty takers will be the team that has to start, so an injury in match doesn't further hamper you. Oh and we get every match to have a pen shoot-out. Hey as I say they'll keep it as is, but if they change it I'd rather this change than any of the others.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
penalty shoot-outs are Bad. I don't have a better solution on hand (though i think ice hockey's removing players is onto something) but they are Bad.

Pothas

It may be a pretty awful way to decide who wins a game but honestly nothing in sport comes close to being as good in terms of drama.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Leeds and Burnley want action taken against Everton over what ever passes for FFP these days. Presumably one of them will drop the complaint on Sunday evening.

Niall

International Coach
Goalkeepers are footballers too tbf. It's no more their job to put the ball in the net than a lot of the other players who'd have to take one (i.e. defenders etc)
And lets not forget DeGea had plenty of opportunities to end the penalty shootout before he had to take one.

Keepers have taken penalties before and they have scored , in this era where they are so commonplace and with keepers paid so much, no sympathy for them not been prepared to take one whatsoever.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Leeds and Burnley want action taken against Everton over what ever passes for FFP these days. Presumably one of them will drop the complaint on Sunday evening.
The possibility of Leeds getting relegated, by Burnley, on goal difference is making me cringe... :sick:

Also, what do you people make of Tifo Football?

grecian

Such a weird match for me this, Sunderland-Wycombe, hate Wycombe and all they stand for something that just largely goes unremarked in media, how despised they are by most lower division clubs fans, it's so ridiculous that their utterly awful time-wasting, niggly fouling nastiness is not mentioned in the oh isn't Ainsworth cool, wears leather and is in a band, aren't they a great underdog story bollox. Yet it's been done before all this with the original wimbledon, people like the ****ing Cinderella story, even if Cinderella acts more like the Ugly sisters. Listened to the Beeb 72 podcast and the presenter was all isn't Ainsworth great, and it was noticable the two players/managers weren't buying into it. Again though the frustration of pundits not watching much but then opining on lower-leaugue football, almost all of their takes are utter crap, ho-hum.

Yet the arrogance from the sunderland supporters and ex-players is grating, and I love David Wheeler, so I think I want Wycombe to win despite myself, mainly as I don't mind travelling to Stadium of Light, while there's no chance in hell I want to travel to Adams Park to see us bullied out of three points.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sunderland have much more to like about them, but OTOH them losing would be much funnier. It’s a tough call.

grecian

Ah well, no visits to Stadium of Light, but at least the Wycombe media hype is stalled. Hope we can get Wheels back to us, not even coming on as sub here, means he's done at Wycombe really.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can always tell when Wycombe concede early as you don’t get 12 minutes added on.

A couple of decent Rangers goals early in extra time.