• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

tooextracool

International Coach
Mahmood, Robinson, Archer and Wood is actually a good attack. But England needs to find a spinner to be strong again. Root cannot be their main spinner.
You'd hope they'd find the courage to pick Matt Parkinson as a front line spinner in England - he's not going to get any better just playing county cricket. England think it's a risky move but in reality it's only risky because their batting is so brittle.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Burns
Crawley
Vince
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow

I'd like to see this batting line up. Not that I think they'll score loads of runs but at least we'd get to see the occasional nice shot before they get out in the twenties (not inc burns)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thinking about the bowling, and actually Toby Roland-jones is probably one of our best, but I guess with the obsession with yoof, I doubt they're going to recall an injury-prone 34 year old. Reckon he'd have outbowled all that played on that Grenada pitch though, but so would have darren Stevens. Looks like TRJ'll end his test career averaging under 20 with the ball though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder how far away we are from Woakes actually playing as a batsman instead of just for his batting. One of only three English batsmen to average over 30 in the last two years (excluding Mahmood, lol). If he was a bit better against the short ball I might even support the idea myself...

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
You'd hope they'd find the courage to pick Matt Parkinson as a front line spinner in England - he's not going to get any better just playing county cricket. England think it's a risky move but in reality it's only risky because their batting is so brittle.
Yeah the lack of opportunity for a different spin option on what was supposed to be a reset tour perplexed me. We'd kill for a leg spinner with the attributes of Parkinson right now, even if he will be a bit expensive at first.

I just thought it was another example of muddled thinking and decision making.

Heboric

International Debutant

Root up there with Ashwin as the genuis brain. Can't get sacked as captain if all other viable options are injured or dropped.
The downside of a quality allrounder. I was always surprised how Kallis remained relatively injry free and plus being slightly on the biggish side

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Root up there with Ashwin as the genuis brain. Can't get sacked as captain if all other viable options are injured or dropped.
This is Galaxy Brain ****... You are doing him a disservice saying genius etc.

Chubb

International Regular
The downside of a quality allrounder. I was always surprised how Kallis remained relatively injry free and plus being slightly on the biggish side
Don’t mean this as a criticism but I feel like Kallis didn’t put as much effort into his bowling as Stokes, Flintoff etc - he didn’t need to.He was a languid bowler where Stokes is all charge and energy.

Heboric

International Debutant
Don’t mean this as a criticism but I feel like Kallis didn’t put as much effort into his bowling as Stokes, Flintoff etc - he didn’t need to.He was a languid bowler where Stokes is all charge and energy.
On the flip side Kallis spent way longer in batting than those two

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
I suspect the other casualty of Stokes missing a test match will be Foakes, with Bairstow being handed the gloves at number 6 or 7.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would be so very English to change one of the few things that isn't going terribly.
TBF when Bairstow kept down the order he was good. They have mucked him about a fair bit since. I'm not sure why they need him batting at 6 or 7, keep him where he is, being 'keeper shouldn't change it.

FBU

International Debutant
Why? injury? or is it just an insult to injury?
England usually pick one tall bowler 6'5 and a swing bowler and an express bowler plus Stokes. . First choice is Archer, then Wood. Wood and Archer have played one Test together out of 39 Tests. When it comes to white ball cricket they do play together. Wood and Stone have played 1 Test together out of 29.

Anderson, Woakes, Curran
Broad, Robinson, Overton
Archer, Wood, Stone, Mahmood (Stone and Mahmood slower, probably could fit into the first group)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What's the take on Vince's captaincy at Hampshire? I have absolutely no idea how good a skipper he is, but, for all the talk of there being no alternative to Root, Vince does captain his county side and isn't a million miles from being a genuine test batsman. Probably no worse than most of the guys we've seen this winter.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yes Vince is my pick for england as a batsmen first. See how he goes for a year then consider captaincy if he does well. Let him play the home series this summer