• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Batsmen (Tests)

Slifer

International Captain
Averaged 47.69 in WI in that period, which is surprising to me. Thought he didn't have any major troubles there (unlike say some battles with McGrath or Donald)
Funny thing, he did fine when the attacks were very good to great but he had issues when the attacks were at their weakest. Strange...

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
While this is a thread for tests, just want to make a note on his excellency in odis. You see now on how players struggle to adapt between formats. But he maintained a high degree of excellence in both formats, showing his flair and attacking style in odis and commendable restraint in tests.

In the fag end of his career, he even got man of the series in the ipl.

Slifer

International Captain
He did average over 57 over 150 tests from 1992 to the of 2010.

I don't know if that is dominant or consistent, but its pretty impressive.
Dominant imo, is having monster 500, 600, 700 run series like what Steve Smith and Kohli had, scoring multiple 100s (3 or 4). My opinion of Sachin in general is that in a given series, he could probably be counted on to give you one or two 100s, mixed in with a few 40s and 50s and do it almost anywhere. Then you had guys like Ponting who could take a series by storm and smash tons of runs and multiple 100s but also, fail miserably in other series. Lara would fail for most of a series but give you one or two gargantuan scores. Other times he'd dominate an entire series but wasn't near as consistent as Sachin ( especially away). For me, that's what sets Sachin apart. He was great away, something only currently Steve Smith can match.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
While I voted for Sobers, there is an equally good argument for any of the 4 or 5 elite batsmen (Sobers, Richards, Tendulkar, Lara). It appears we aren't including Smith because he's still playing, not sure I agree with that though. And while everyone will disagree, I'm on the fence re Hobbs, as none of us have seen him and the limited opposition of his time, but his greatness in his time can't be disputed.

I personally just place them in a tier of their own.

Chrish

International Debutant
Dominant?? No. Very very consistent: yes.
Yeah that’s how I see his career. There weren’t many occasions where he completely dominated the series like Lara or Smith have done considering the length of his career.

Of course that also means he scored more consistently and rarely went missing during entire series.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah that’s how I see his career. There weren’t many occasions where he completely dominated the series like Lara or Smith have done considering the size of his career.

Of course that also means he scored more consistently and rarely went missing during entire series.
Precisely this.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
hobbs
hutton
bradman
tendulkar
lara
sobers
imran
hadlee
knott
marshall
mcgrath

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Trumper, Hobbs, Hutton, Sobers, Viv, Lara, Tendulkar, Sangakkara....are all fantastic players.

But if I’m sitting in the members stand and I’ve just poured myself a rum and coke on a sunny day, then I’m going to want to watch Sobers or Lara bat. Maybe Trumper for interest sake.

Heart says Sobers.

steve132

U19 Debutant
Hobbs. Virtually all his contemporaries regarded him as the most complete and technically perfect batsman of all time.