• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeetan Patel's nickname was 'Dave' come to think of it. Trusting nothing malicious in his case since he always seemed one of the more popular players within the teams he played in, but you'd have to assume the origin behind the nickname is not dissimilar with some of what's been reported.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Jeetan Patel's nickname was 'Dave' come to think of it. Trusting nothing malicious in his case since he always seemed one of the more popular players within the teams he played in, but you'd have to assume the origin behind the nickname is not dissimilar with some of what's been reported.
If his first name was Rodney could have forgiven it.

Teja.

Global Moderator
We're both flying without evidence in whether it is deliberate or not deliberate though. I happen to think it is not deliberate and he is passionate about getting his words precisely correct. To tell you the truth, I had no issue understanding what he was trying to say on the QT clip and I'm hardly the brain of Britain. I think a lot of people who don't understand him are doing so because they are clouded by preconceptions about him as some sort of alt-right gateway or general far-right figure. But then I'm heavily speculating here, myself.

And to tell the truth, there is lots about him in recent years which has clouded my own good faith that I had in him as coming from a position of reason and logic. So who knows. I do still like lots about him, really respect his mission to help people and really liked his take on QT but there is plenty of suspect things about him these days.
Mate he's just a sophist who pushes the limit of what he can get away with to his audience because he knows they trust him unconditionally and have a deep mistrust for the ''''establishment'''. Good faith is one of the last things I'd ever accuse him off.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate he's just a sophist who pushes the limit of what he can get away with to his audience because he knows they trust him unconditionally and have a deep mistrust for the ''''establishment'''. Good faith is one of the last things I'd ever accuse him off.

The lobster stuff is taken way out of context, agree that Peterson needs to concise his material so you don't need to read his books to understand what he says half the time.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JP did his job which was to get eyeballs on screens & generate discussion

Pretty telling that he didn’t seem to have the first clue as to the specifics of the Yorkshire situation so the producers probably told him that he was being booked to discuss structural racism and just let him roll from there

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Is Jeetan hard to say? :confused:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Is Jeetan hard to say? :confused:
No. It's a nickname on being the opposite. Have an (only slightly, in this case) exotic name, then a nickname of a monosylabic very common anglo name.

Same as bald people getting nicknamed 'Curly', or red haired people having nickname 'Bluey'. These sort of nicknames have gone out of fashion though, TBH.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never heard of curly for bald people. I've heard of Eight-ball, Hard-Shine, Yul Brynner, Baldy, Scalper, Bert Newton, Q-Ball, Megamind, Turtle Waxer, Telly Savalas and many more but not that one.

ma1978

International 12th Man
In my college cricket club we had one white dude and his nickname was Shastri (because of his abysmal strike rate)

it happens

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In my college cricket club we had one white dude and his nickname was Shastri (because of his abysmal strike rate)

it happens
Yeah but the difference there is you may have called me Shastri if I was the bloke who batted at that SR in your team too. These Pujara and Jeetan instances are really not comparable IMO.